July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Guy Next Door

What a joke!

July 7, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  2. Mike

Please...no!!

July 7, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  3. Envoy5

I live in Connecticut. Alec Balwin is the very last person on the face of the earth that I would want to represent me in Congress.

July 7, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. Harold Ramos

The Bloviator in Congress? I thought he was moving out of the country after Gore lost?

July 7, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Capt. Snarky

Electing Alec would be like pouring gasoline on a fire. Nothing good can come from that.

July 7, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  6. David

I thought Alec already moved out of the country, after Bush was elected/appointed to the Presidency.

July 7, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  7. andyb

Well he certainely has the demeanor. ha ha

July 7, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. Bob in Pa

Another lacking of common sense who wants to rule the world.
    – No Thanks.

July 7, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. J.Havis

I think the idea of Alecs Baldwin running for office is GREAT!! It is time to elect those whom have the get-go, bright minds and the love of the whole instead of those selfish, narrow minded and holier-then thou attitude Republicans . Let's do-over the complete face of our government and get those who truly love "ALL" the people.
    This Texaian is behind you, lAlec Baldwin.

July 7, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. Jacko

an unnamed democratic law firm? lol its amazing how these two parties the republicans and democrats absolutely run this country. The sovereignty of states is gone. They approach people secretly and tell them to run for office in some random state that the person isnt even affiliated with, WAKE UP PEOPLE!

July 7, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. annie against biased news

We already have enough losers in politics.

July 7, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. JaCaMo323

This is the same guy who spoke on the Tonight Show and said "If Bush wins the presidency, I'm moving my family to Canada." Well Bush won and if Mr. Baldwin holds true to his words, then he must be a Canadian citizen now right? I don't believe that non-American citizens (or even dual-citizenship citizens for that matter) can hold a political office in the US can they?

July 7, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  13. GORE LOST IN 2000

You have got to be kidding...

July 7, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. Felonious Monk

I don't quite know just what to make of this. Another hollywood type transitioning into ????????

What is going on in the world?

July 7, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  15. larry

Simple – Self-Righteous Windbag

July 7, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  16. cindy

oh dear god

July 7, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  17. Ross

Please don't Alec – there are enough fools in Washington DC already – stay in LA where you are less conspicuous.

July 7, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  18. jkeyes

He will suck the brains out of your head.

July 7, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  19. Chipster

Baldwin is somewhat erratic – sort of but not quite as impulsive as John McCain. I don't know that he'd be the best choice for this type of leadership. McCain's behavior during the campaign, rushing to Washington, canceling campaign commitments – yet taking the time for a TV interview – and achieving absolutely nothing . . . not too impressive. Then, after the election in Iran, McCain was in a frenzy for Obama to "do something" but never actually defined what that "something" should be. I'm just glad he wasn't president or we might be in a 3rd war.

Baldwin's behavior seems a little, maybe a lot, like that. Stay with acting, Alec.

July 7, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. Howard

If he runs, I hope his opponent exposes the voters to an continuous loop of Baldwin berating his poor daughter, so that they can truly see what a mean egotistical creep Alec Baldwin really is.

July 7, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. Vicki

God help us!!! The LAST thing we need is this wacko in governement!! There are enough there already!!

July 7, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  22. dollylee66

really...? Another celebrity in charge, how much of real life do they know about. Have they wondered where they will sleep at night or where there next meal is coming from. They make a tremendous amount of money and are entertaining, but as far as letting them lead us, well, who knows better how to play games. Stick to acting Mr. Baldwin.

July 7, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  23. Jimmy Hansen

No! No! No!

July 7, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. Apple

Stick with acting Alec we don't need someone like you in politics.

July 7, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  25. Neil Rockwell

"You mean, it's not tonight? Then why are you wearing a tux?"

"It's after 6 Lemon. What am I, a farmer?"

I'd vote for Jack Donaghy all day long.

July 7, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |