July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. T22

Just what we need, another actor who think he knows something. At least Franken ran in the state he lived in, I have a problem with people moving to a state to "represent" the people of that state. This exemplifies one of the problems with politics today – it should be about the people but pols think it's really about them.

July 7, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  2. Marcy

Alec, come to New Jersey, you got my vote!

July 7, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  3. Rani Brooke

Alec Baldiwn? He is right about being a fodder for the tabloids and the news media should he step into politics. I remember him saying that he'll move out of the country if President George Bush got elected. Well, President Bush got reelected and Alec Baldwin still lives in the counrty. He is full of it and in my opinion, he is arrogant. He won't get my vote. A lot of people get separated and divorced; what's with him and his ex- wife and all this bad -mouthing his daughter? He will not stand a chance .

July 7, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  4. Helen Alex

Well then, how about Tom Selleck as a Republican Presidential Nominee? He's more believeable. People love him.

July 7, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  5. BobAbrams

Only if Tina Fey is his Chief of Staff and Tracey Jordan is his publicist...

July 7, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  6. Proud Member..Party of No

Yet another example of why the country is headed in the wrong direction. When complete morons such as Al Franken and Alec Baldwin not only contemplate running for political office but can actually win, well, maybe it is time to require a competency test before allowing people to vote. That would almost eliminate the democrat party.

July 7, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. Sam Sixpack

Remember when people used to say, "This isn't a popularity contest?"

July 7, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  8. doonesb

Wait...wasn't he one of those 'celebrties' that vowed to leave the country if a Replublican was elected President years ago. Why is he still here, He did not follow thru back then, why believe he would be 'honest and truthful' as a politican

July 7, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. Len Stephens

Baldwin for Congress; let's see. Beat your wife's face bloddy with your fists, scream immature name-calling abuse at your daughter, verbally abuse women on set with you. Seems like he has the customery character and morality to be a democrat leader. Yep, he's a perfect candidate.

July 7, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Greg M.

That borderline abusive phone call he made to his daughter a few years ago is probably enough to make him unelectable no matter how many good qualities he might have. Unless he wants that moment resurrected and replayed ad infinitum he should drop any thoughts he might have of a political career.

July 7, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  11. kaleto

I hope he does. Then we won't have to suffer through his atrocious acting anymore.

July 7, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  12. A. Goodwin

I would love for Alec Baldwin to run against Liberman too. Liberman needs to be out of politics...he is NOT good for our country. Leiberman is just self-serving at this point. I'm not sure if Alec Baldwin is "the" man for the job, but he's got guts and that's what American politics needs. People will have a tough time getting past the issues he had with his former wife and children...but then again, people seem to forget the issues Rudy had with his ex-wife and children.

July 7, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  13. the old sage

oh boy, let him run with palin in 4 years-ego ego ego.

July 7, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  14. Steve

I did not think the Democratic Party could find someone More liberal Joe Lieberman but apparently they have succeeded.

July 7, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  15. Jamie

my diplomacy wants to support Alec...but i think its just for PR.

July 7, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. Hopeful Optimist

I sure hope he runs. I think there are a lot of people who would support him. Apparently wealth and fame are goals he's found not to be fulfilling, as any wise person would attest to, and public service is tugging at him. I think he truly cares about where his country is headed, and unlike many in the Red Party, power is not an end in itself but a means to insure that his country maintains a leadership role in tackling the many problems that face us here at home and globally.

July 7, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  17. CNN Never Posts My Posts

Could you imagine a race between Baldwin and Palin? Would that be more sad or funny? Baldwin just needs to be thankful he was born into a family that bought him an acting career because, let's face it, when he started out he was just plain awful. Stick with Hollywoood, buddy.

July 7, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  18. DC

What in the world would qualify Alec Baldwin to become governor of Ohio? These narcissistic stars should start with politics on a smaller scale, work their way up, and leave those bigger posts for the qualified and informed individuals (that actually live in the states in which they are running!) that have the experience to run...

July 7, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  19. I give up

al fraken part two. will win office in a shady recount.

July 7, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  20. w.l. jones

Please dont run for Dennis job we will be in real trouble.

July 7, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  21. Robert Bauer - CA

As someone from a state which made the incredible mistake of electing an actor, I beg you all DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ELECT THIS ACTOR TO AN IMPORTANT POLITICAL OFFICE!!! We have suffered now for 8 years under the biggest idiot to ever hold elected office. Arnold Schwarzenegger has destroyed this state with his incomparable stupidity and total lack of any political savvy whatsoever! And, look what Jesse Ventura did to Minnesota. Do not let this pretender seduce you into thinking he's intelligent. He is NOT. And, he is not capable of holding political office. Learn from our mistake, and run him out of town!

July 7, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  22. Ted Tartaglia

Just what we need, another actor running for office.

July 7, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  23. Audrey in Georgia

"Just Do It"

July 7, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  24. Nick

Isn't this the same person who publicly stated that if Mr. Bush won the election he'd move out of the country? I'd be happy to call the movers, Mr. Baldwin. After such a comment you are not fit for public office as you have demonstrated an unwillingness to listen, understand, and compromise. If you won't leave the country at least stay in California with pelosi and her ilk.

July 7, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  25. jeff jackson ozark, alabama

Don't misunderstand what I am about to say. It is NOT
    meant as a compliment to America !!!
    There is no doubt in my mind what-so-ever that this country
    is ripe for electing someone like Alec Baldwin to public