July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. d1120

I'm still waiting for him & Streisand to 'leave the country' as they said they would both do, after W was elected..back in 2000. This just show's he's a liar....hey, a perfect pilitican !

July 7, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. BARB

please spare Ohio

July 7, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. Jason

No....No....No!!!! No more actors in politics! Hasn't California suffered enough!

July 7, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. GiroGeezer CA

Oh please God, no.... no more California celebrities in national or regional politics.

July 7, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Flex

Go for it Mr. Baldwin. You'll win too! You're a loveable man, and you believe in equality. Best wishes!

July 7, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. Independent

What's Baldwin doing here ?? I thought he was moving to Holland after Bush was re-elected ??

July 7, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. kj

Please, you have to be kidding. This individual knows nothing about the issues we Americans face as he has been fed with a "silver spoon" his entire life.

Besides, it's funny how a celebrity because of his name and fortune can automatically presume they would be a good/great candidate for any political office.

What ever happended to folks who really deserve to serve us, the public? You know, the ones who have served his/her country honorably, volunteered to serve his/her country and/or spent most of their adult life in the plotical arena.

Alex Baldwin is nothing more than a celebrity who thinks because of his Hollywood status he is entitled to become a U.S. Congressman...what a joke he is....

July 7, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. Janeysbaby

I'm sure Alec Baldwin would be a very good Congressman. He's obviously very bright, interested and hey...he could actually be in a position to help change child custody laws. After experiencing the court proceeding nightmare he lived through in reality, his experience could be very helpful in improving the laws in this genre. Go for it Alec....why not? Remember...the star of 'Bonzo' became President.

July 7, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Dimslie

Why not? He's no dimmer than the other Dims.

July 7, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. B.H.

You have got to be kidding............
    These peoples egos are larger than their minds.

July 7, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. maude

I think Alec Baldwin should definitely run against Joe Lieberman, the Traitor!

July 7, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. Four and The Door

It's odd. All of the comedians want to be Democratic politicians and all of the Democratic politicians want to be comedians. Yuk-yuk. Yikes!!!

July 7, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. Ryan Indy

What a joke this guy is????? Of course Al Franken just got elected, I mean stole enough votes to get elected so anything is possible.

July 7, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Mike

Alec Baldwin running for Congress? That is about as funny as say, Al Franken deciding to run for Senate. Oh yeah, that nightmare already came true. Let's hope Baldwin's sanity doesn't erode completely and he sticks to what he does best, acting. Or at least acting out.
    The last thing this country needs is another celebrity who THINKS he knows how to run the country better. I think that exercise in futility has already proven a failure. Franken will only add yet another chapter in the long and sad history of celebrities who get elected because of popularity and have since failed. Baldwin doesn't want to take that road.
    Anyway, wasn't he going to move out of the country anyway after the 2000 election? What ever happened to that? I guess he just didn't have the guts to stick to his word as we all had hoped.

July 7, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  15. leapfrog

Just what we need in Washington...a hotheaded egomanic with zero public service experience. Lucky us...

July 7, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. GWB2012

Here in Ohio, we've already seen was a stupid dem governor and mayor can do. JOHN KASICH (R) will be our next governor. No way would Ohioians put a do nothing dirty lib scumbag in charge of our state. Maybe he can go up against Al Franken – two losers!

July 7, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. Frankin is smart, I don't think Baldwin is

he looks like he has taken too many drugs and slept with too many underage girls

July 7, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  18. Little Hawk

Alec, as a Connecticut resident and registered Democrat I would welcome you with open arms if you ran against Joltin' Joe. I'd even offer to throw a fundraiser for you at my house.

July 7, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  19. Jane in WI

Go for it Alec!! I think you would be an awesome member!

July 7, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

"Enlightened' Voter proves once again that he/she is anything but.

July 7, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. jack

If he is EVER elected to ANY office, I am moving to another country!

July 7, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. skyhawkdriver

What difference does one more idiot in congress make??..we already both houses full of them..maybe he can hang out with patches kennedy..patches can drive around drunk and baldwin can call his daughter up and scream at her

July 7, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. Vince-FL

I'd consider moving to wherever he is running. I'm already considering a move to Minnesota so that I will be truly represented!! Franken and Baldwin are heads and shoulders above Reagan, the Governator and Fred Thompson...It really stinks to the GOP when someone who knows how to THINK runs for Office...GO ALEC!!!

July 7, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  24. TheMindReels....

conservatives are dumb as rocks...

they all loved boosh and his fake play ranch....don't even get into raygun, or Ahnold, but actors in politics is just beyond the pale...

July 7, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. I laugh at comrade Limbaugh daily

Good luck Alec,It will be hard to defeat liarman.He cares more about Israel than his own country,and Conn. has plenty of proIsraeli voters.

July 7, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |