July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. KC

No, no and heck no. This is a mean-spirited, nasty man. He needs to make good on his promise to move out of the U.S. We don't need his kind.

July 7, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. rgp

Please, this guy was supposed to leave the U.S. when Bush was elected. So much for his promises.

July 7, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. Ernie in LA

And why is this news. Who cares if a movie star just might run for office? Mickey Mouse could probably do a better job than what we have now.

July 7, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Dave

So I figured he would do it someday. But what is this.....Ohio, Conn, or NJ??? Come on. We've had enough of these career politicians that pick and choose where to live based on can they win an election. We don't need another.

July 7, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  5. RW

Baldwin can stay away from CT we dont need another left wing liberal in US Senate. We have enough liberals and dont want anymore.

July 7, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. Jack in Florida

Run against Peter King......he needs to be kicked to the curb

July 7, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. citizenjane

I would caution him against it. We already have enough comedy in congress without adding more.

July 7, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. Seth

Joe July 7th, 2009 10:09 am ET

"Washington could use Jack Ryan."

You're right, but Jack Ryan portrays a Republican type executive and Alec Baldwin in reality is the opposite of that.

July 7, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. Les Bryant

I guess if politics were a bit more funny he might get my vote...

July 7, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. Skip, a black man

Perfect match!

July 7, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. Rosie

A good bowl cleanser is what he really needs.

July 7, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. thinksthisissilly

The Playboy interview makes Baldwin look like a carpetbagger. Clearly this guy knows very little about political tact. If he actually does run anywhere, his opponents will be able to use this interview to make him look like an outsider, an opportunist, and a phony. Stick with acting and looking pretty, Baldwin. You're a political hack.

July 7, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  13. matt

I wish he would just wait and run for president after obama gets tired of it. We could use another socialist that considers his fellow americans as highly as he does his own flesh and blood...(little pigs).

July 7, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. Andy

What's wrong with you people!?! Don't you know he's an alien trying to turn our brains into soup!?!?

July 7, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  15. Robin

Not another one! We are growing out of this type of politics. Let's move on.

July 7, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  16. GWJunior

For all you laughing at this, and mocking this idea of Alec(Alex) Baldwin running for political office, it isn't such a crazy idea. He did attend The George Washington University before he transfered to NYU for his senior year. And at GW he was a political science major. Even though he is an actor/ comedian he probably knows more about politics than people give him credit for.

July 7, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. kishen c.rao

who is this dude? every day one new born comes in politics............

July 7, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  18. single mom

Wow. I'm not sure which political party is more desperate, or self-imploding faster.
    The Republicans have the far right with Limbaugh and others insisting they're in charge. Um, no, if you have to say that you're in charge, then you're not really leading anyone but the choir. The Democrats have Reid, Franks, Rangel, Murtha and Pelosi who have taken that party so far left that I doubt if the Dems of the 60s and 70s would see any similarities. (Same for Republicans of that time.)
    In other words, both parties have given mainstream Americans no political home.

July 7, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. Alfred E. Neumann

ABC – always be closing as in exiting clown!

July 7, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  20. Rod

I don't Understand, How a Good Movie Star can also be a Good Leader or Politician?

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is all Muscle, No Brain.
    All he did all his life is EAT and BUILD BODY. His Education level is Zero. His I.Q. Level is less than a 5th Grader.

This is what happens when you Elect a Chimpanzee as a Governor.

Californians Deserve it.

July 7, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  21. the man

funny, four...just like all of the neocon talk radio ranters want to be Repug politicians and all of the Repug politicians want to be neocon radio talk show ranters...

July 7, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  22. Thin is in?

Please run, please, please, please.

I would love to contribute to whomever is against you, just to see this pompous, out of touch and DUMB liberal (redundant, I know) get handed is head.

Palin forgot more than this no talent hack wil ever know.

If you think about it though, if Obambi can act like a President by reading scripts written by someone else and sound coherent only when using a binkyprompter, why not Baldwin?

July 7, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  23. Eli

It must be great to be an unaccountable liberal-you can just pick whatever state where you'd like to run and that's it.

July 7, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. RahmAxleRod SuperTroopers

LOL, in response to Alec being a Political Science major, most if not all political science majors I’ve met, know very little about politics, let alone how to read... Good luck with the degree in dumb defense.

July 7, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. DC Insider

@Donkey Party, what planet are you living on. If you haven't noticed we have been pretty much in control of the boards this entire time. There are way many more democrat comments on here than republican comments. Granted, I am not happy with the amount of Liberal Hatred being on here, I believe we should turn the other cheek. And now that we have a filibuster proof Senate, we should rise above this petty squabbling.

Alec Baldwin should stay in acting not politics. It will only drag us backwards as a Party, and give the Republicans cannon fodder to fire at us. Let's get some serious candidates in here for 2010 and ideally ones who haven't cheated on their wife or their taxes.

July 7, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |