July 7th, 2009

Obama girls take Russia by storm

Sasha Obama wandered into President Obama's bed early Tuesday morning to have a chat with her parents.

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) - An unexpected visitor wandered into the bedroom of President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama in the wee hours of Tuesday morning - but the Secret Service wasn't worried about a security breach.

The visitor was 8-year-old Sasha Obama, who's touring Russia along with her older sister Malia. The younger girl could not contain her excitement about Dad's fifth foreign trip in office, so she decided to wake her parents to tell them about it, the president cheerfully recounted in a CNN interview.

"Sasha this morning around 4 am just wandered into our bed and plopped down and started chatting," Obama said in the interview a few hours later. "That was sort of a highlight, although I'm a little groggy now as a consequence."

Both Obama daughters are along for the ride this time around because school is out of session back in the Washington, D.C., area, allowing them to travel overseas on weekdays without missing classes. On an earlier presidential visit to France, Sasha and Malia showed up in Paris on a weekend after school was done for the week.

Asked if having his daughters joining his wife on a high-profile trip helps take the edge off the tough diplomatic negotiations, Obama told CNN it's fantastic to have his girls "being able to see the world and then report back to us on what they are seeing" on the trip, which included the daughters getting to check out the Kremlin.

"You know it makes a huge difference," said the president. "The girls are just a joy. And then Michelle just, she's always - she's a star at home and abroad."

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • President Obama • Sasha Obama
  1. Walter

America's time under the sun has obviously run its course.

July 7, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Joe

I like this story, puts a personal touch on the President's trip to Russia.

However, I think it's mistitled – "Obama girls take Russia by storm." Maybe "Obama girls experience Russia" instead.

The actual title suggests the article is about Russian reactions to the Obama girls.

July 7, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. MJ

Just an observation – Where is the Secretary of State? Nice family pictures. Guess we will be getting an update on the Designers soon.

July 7, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. r.j.

this is absurd that the children get carted around on tax dollars,this pres is destroying america with over taxation and hes taking family trips unexcusable

July 7, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Victoria

people please, how much more can it cost for two little girls to go w Mom and Dad....Get over it and stop hatin........

July 7, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. Love this family

Dear Linda Kearney,
    You don't seriously want to compare Obama to Bush do you? I'd much rather have a president who brings his family along to do his job than one who spends more time on vacation, not doing his job!

July 7, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. Once You Vote Black

You know things are bad when your best reason to get elected is because you have lost so much. Its like asking for mersey. Vote for us because they have nothing. If you hush TCM perhaps we will let you guys keep your GA reps, and 1 or 2 Senators. It seems like we have beaten you guys to a stand still.

July 7, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  8. Leroy Hemstead NY

I voted for Oboma
    He said he woold take from the rich guys
    and give to the poor guys
    WELL I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY MONEY
    I wants a New Cadilac and take my women to one of those fancy
    resturants.
    Go on a few Vacations.
    DAM just take the dam Money
    and pass it around.
    Leroy is Hungrey and so my women

July 7, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. jaye

Our first family is beautiful!
    I am so proud they're ours!

July 7, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Ha! If the Obama's had left them at home with grandma there would have been an outcry of, "Hmmph! So Obama leaves the kids at home while he goes vacationing around the world eh? Some family man he is!"

But since he brought his kids along it's, "Hmmph! So Obama is lugging his kids along on our dime eh? blah blah blah."

July 7, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. tm

This fine family represents America very well. They are respected for their family values.

July 7, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Once You Vote Black

TCM our troops are in harms way because W put them there.

July 7, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. morris diehl

once again the neocons can't get over the fact the President has a lovely family and so far aren't out drinking and drugging up like the shrub's girls. Stop being so negative and start a war somewhere. Lets just just make sure that your first in line to fight.

July 7, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. JML

I love it, clearly our President loves his children and is always there for them. That speaks volumes. Continued blessing President Obama.

July 7, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. moderate

Keep the good work my DEAR PRESIDENT. I am so happy that we have you representing us. I am totally aware of the huge job of cleanning the mess created by the reptile party and the criminals (Bush/Chenny), but i am sure you will succeed. May god bless you, your family, our vice president and his family and over all, the united states of AMERICA.

July 7, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. Emi

Thanks CNN, for the story.

July 7, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. Bakarr

It's good to see a normaly family represent the United States and I'm not talking about Bush and his drunk girls.

July 7, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. KLP

I don't understand WHY people would be upset that The President – who is also a married man, and a family man, would face any negativity regarding his family coming along to Russia, or any other country for that matter. It s obvious that President Obama loves the USA, and he loves his family too! His girls are going to find a new-found respect for the rest of the world, and other cultures – what is so wrong with that? I doubt very much that his children there have upped the cost...

It is refreshing to see a leader who is so passionate about his family...too bad everyone can't be as loving with their children. Parents young and old, rich and poor, leaders and normal citizens – learn from this. Love your family, include them in your life... I am not from the USA – but I have to say, I really respect your president.

July 7, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  19. Montescarlo

Ya know, Obama has HIS OWN MONEY. I'm sure he can afford to buy their lunch. Calm down, people. We hear enough about war – at least I know I do. Some "happy" family-related news is nice to hear every once in a while. Should he not be happy when discussing his family? Must he be bitter, broken and stricken every minute of every day for some of you people to think he cares?

July 7, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  20. babs in cali

@ Marylin,
    are you kidding me? "what's with all the trips abroad?" Really?
    This is one of the things a President does. GWB spending his time sitting around chokeing on pretzels was NOT the best use of government funds.

July 7, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. Joanna in PA

I love watching this family. The kids are too cute. What an adventure this must be for them. But i am glad the Obama's keep them out of the spotlight as much as possible.

July 7, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  22. David Newport, OR

This is exactly the type of family I want representing our country. Those that disapprove should leave...they are not Americans in any sense of the word.

July 7, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  23. From Belgium

The effect of those two girls' smiles on the Russian population can have more effect on peace and good feelings toward America than months of political negotiations. More than worth the expense.

July 7, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  24. Marcus, Great Lakes IL

Funny, no one seems to remember GW and his trips to Crawford every other week on Air Force 1 paid for by (now here's where it gets hard folks).

I guess you call it, "Selective memory loss."

July 7, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Tulsa

All one has to do is read the Republican responses here to get an idea of why they are the outcast party.
    You are truly a disgrace to this country and humanity in general.
    Go Mr. President.