July 7th, 2009

Obama girls take Russia by storm

Sasha Obama wandered into President Obama's bed early Tuesday morning to have a chat with her parents.

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) - An unexpected visitor wandered into the bedroom of President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama in the wee hours of Tuesday morning - but the Secret Service wasn't worried about a security breach.

The visitor was 8-year-old Sasha Obama, who's touring Russia along with her older sister Malia. The younger girl could not contain her excitement about Dad's fifth foreign trip in office, so she decided to wake her parents to tell them about it, the president cheerfully recounted in a CNN interview.

"Sasha this morning around 4 am just wandered into our bed and plopped down and started chatting," Obama said in the interview a few hours later. "That was sort of a highlight, although I'm a little groggy now as a consequence."

Both Obama daughters are along for the ride this time around because school is out of session back in the Washington, D.C., area, allowing them to travel overseas on weekdays without missing classes. On an earlier presidential visit to France, Sasha and Malia showed up in Paris on a weekend after school was done for the week.

Asked if having his daughters joining his wife on a high-profile trip helps take the edge off the tough diplomatic negotiations, Obama told CNN it's fantastic to have his girls "being able to see the world and then report back to us on what they are seeing" on the trip, which included the daughters getting to check out the Kremlin.

"You know it makes a huge difference," said the president. "The girls are just a joy. And then Michelle just, she's always - she's a star at home and abroad."

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • President Obama • Sasha Obama
  1. Peggy

They deserve this trip. A lot of kids go on summer holidays with their parents. What's wrong with that?

July 7, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. T22

I think Obama is a great Dad, really cares about his kids, Michelle's a great mom and the kids are cute and seem like really good little girls. I have no problem with them traveling as a family. But is this news? Aren't there more important things to report? Exactly how do they take Russia by storm in the bedroom at 4AM? I guess they had to report something other than the other "important" story of the day, Michael Jackson's memorial.

July 7, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  3. Angela

Shibumi:
    "Bo Bo showing his daughters how communism works. Nothing like real world lessons in action to cement the idea in little skulls full of mush.
    I can hear it now "See, Sasha, everyone knows to bow down to the elites in Russian society. Unlike the bumpkins in that stinking USA.""

Do you have any idea what communism? It's the antithesis of bowing down to elites.

July 7, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  4. Get a Life !!

Linda Kearney said:
    He's spent more taxpayer money on his own family (that he could pay his ownself – they are millionaries! – in 4 months than Bush did in 8 years!

Linda, please tell me, how much taxpayer money did Bush spend on his family in 8 years. I can't seem to find that info anyplace. While you are at it, how much has President Obama spent on his family?

Just asking !!!!

July 7, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. Colin

Yeah, this story is fine and dandy and all. But I see this as media adulation with Obama and his agenda. Why wouldn't he bring his girls? It can only make him look better in the public eye. This man is a walking propoganda train along with being the most fiscally irresponsible president in history.

July 7, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. Family

Linda Kearney,

You need to get out of your bitter life. The Obama family has been such an example for the US and they are continuously restoring the bad image left by Bush and his family.

BTW. How much and what have you contributed to the economy?

July 7, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Capt. Snarky

Lark in Portland wrote on July 7th, 2009 3:57 pm ET :

"Why shouldn't the kids travel with him? How can it be a waste of time getting things straight with Russia? How does this hurt the US? This president can multitask… I know many of you can't grasp the concept. It does mean doing more than one thing at a time."

Wasn't traveling with the kids one of the many ethics complaints lodged against Sarah Palin? And wasn't she forced to pay back those costs to the state of Alaska ? Is barry going to pay us back for his daughters' tourism expenses?

Barry can Multitask? Wow, good for him. My ex-wife could multitask, And I divorced her too!

July 7, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. ttofast70@comcast.net

How do you know that he didn't pay for the girls to go?

July 7, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. KC in Florida

Let's take a look at the facts, the President is required to pay for his own clothes and food. Taxpayer's dollars not used in this instance. The Obama girls live with their parents, ride in the same car, use the same plane, and numerous other examples. The Bush girls lived on their own in a different state, traveled in seperate cars, met their parents in a different plane, and numerous other examples. STOP COMPLAINING THAT THE OBAMAS ARE TRAVELING AS A FAMILY!!! These people need to live their lives, just as the Bush family did and should have. If you don't want your tax dollars to fund this family, then think of it funding something else. I am happy that my dollars are helping to support this family.

July 7, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Sean

Wow some news that isnt about friggin michael jackson! that guys dead and hes going to be just a dead tomorrow and the day after. The overcoverage of that disfigured pop star sickens me especially in a time when our troops are launching a huge offensive in afghanistan and our president is mending relations with our old enemey Russia. Its ridiculous. I dont see any coverage of the dozens of soldiers who died since Jackson died. I guess they need to invent a new dance move before they warrant that kind of attention.

July 7, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. John

It must be wonderful to have a close family like that. My father would have yelled at me for waking him up so early. I admire Obama's patience.

July 7, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Tulsa

Once again our President is leading by example.
    If anyone wants to see family values being upheld while conducting the business of our country, look no further than the Obama family.
    Mr. President, the first lady and first daughters do us all proud.

July 7, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. swiss fanily robinson

All the hoopla about him taking the girls to Russia. They are getting to experience the world. Barack Obama – Job: President of the USA, Salary 400k a year, plus expenses. So what's the difference in him taking his girls with him to WORK and it coming out of his Salary or expense fund and YOU paying for your children to go ABROAD out of your Salary. Sounds like it's the same money getting spent one way or the other

July 7, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. Royster

I agree the most controversial thing about this story is CNNs title...at least it did nto say the daughters 'invaded' Russia! The editors probably stopped that one......

Last I heard a lot of GOP politicians also traveled with their families and the GOP'ers seem ok with that!......you know who.

I would much rather these two girls represent America than some of the other politician's daughters we have read about repeatedly in the news recently.......at least we are not preaching abstinence to the Russians!

July 7, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. chris

Let's hope Obama doesn't flub up meetings because of his kids jet lag...this guy is not first daddy out with the family on vacation, he's supposed to be representing the USA on State visits. Grow up, people.

July 7, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. All American family

ooh look at you girls- rockin' the trench coats!

rockin' the fashions like your mom. I love this family.

July 7, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Travis In Colorado

Michelle and the kids should have stayed at home, there is no need to take them along on a business meeting like this. Barack still doesn't get it, he has no idea what he's doing. He expects everyone to just smile and fall in love with what he's doing, but people are wising up.

And to "Once you vote black", you state that the W in George W Bush must stand for waist. Are you saying W. Bush has a small waist? It's spelled WASTE! .

July 7, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. fritz b

Please stop with the Obama hatred campaign. You bitter, sore losers evidently have not yet learned a most painful lesson: hatred eventually turns inward and devours the hater.

The grown-ups are in charge now, and it looks like they will continue to be in charge for the foreseeable future, hopefully for a very long time to come.

NoBama? Sorry. YesBama. So much for your HateStickers. Whenever I see one of these I just smile & nod. Too bad for you.

Those who disapprove, can't stand it and, especially, those who hate, remember this; you are free to emigrate at any time, hopefully soon. Bye.

July 7, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. Karen-phoenix

What a GREAT family image to present to the world!!! How proud we are to be Americans!!! Finnally we can be soooooo proud!!!

July 7, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Cowboy in West Texas

Good for the Obamas – family is important – keep it together! So what if they do or don't spend my tax dollars to take their girls with them. I wish my grandsons had th chance to travel like the Obama girls – they will be better Americans for seeing the world. This time I do agree with Obama – take the family everytime you can.

July 7, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. All American Family, NC

A Very Nice All American Family with good family values. They really represent our country well. We have two very good involved parents, a role model for our country. I hope Russia knows we are all not like the SC Governor and so many others that call themselves good Christans. For all you hateful, jealous, envious people you are such losers and will never get anywhere in life. You blame others for your problems, but you are the problem.

July 7, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. JDQ

Obama girls – our secret weapon! You go, girls! Have a wonderful time!

July 7, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. casual_observer

So Obama says Michelle is "a star at home and abroad", so it must be true. Sasha comes to their bedroom at 4 AM and starts talkink to them. How is that taking Russia by storm? This is a puff piece if I ever saw one!
    I for one could not care less if Obama takes his kids overseas, as long as they are not a distraction to business at hand. However, there seems to be not a whole lot of tangible results from any of his trips, or from his domestic policies for that matter. And please, don't start with "it's too early" stuff...

In case you forgot, this network has NEWS in the name, so please, please REPORT NEWS. Like his slipping approval rating, vanishing support for health care, cap and trade, second stimulus, etc...

July 7, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. walleye

TO: Tom July 7th, 2009 3:54 pm ET who says:

Does Obama have the right to spend taxpayer money to take his family along?

My question is the same to you. Did Bush have the right to spend taxpayer money to take his family along?

Of course. At least Obama is mending fences instead of tearing them down.

July 7, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  25. J. SYkes

My god, as adults I'm supposed to somehow emulate..some of you people are idiots.

So a man shouldn't appreciate his family because of their rank or stature? So if i'm a big CEO with people underneath me, am I not allowed to bring my family on a business trip.

If you wanna talk about waste, there is a million things to go attack. Someone's family, anyone's family be it a Dem or a Republican...is off limits. Each and every one of you that engages in this behavior should be ashamed. What this country needs is not petty in-fighting or sniping of the ideals without ANY sort of feedback. We need dialogue and to leave the caves of all these talking heads and actually figure out what's wrong with America.

And don't you dare tell me there's nothing wrong with America or its political system because I'm sitting and looking at a bunch of them right here on this comment screen.

July 7, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |