July 7th, 2009

Obama girls take Russia by storm

Sasha Obama wandered into President Obama's bed early Tuesday morning to have a chat with her parents.

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) - An unexpected visitor wandered into the bedroom of President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama in the wee hours of Tuesday morning - but the Secret Service wasn't worried about a security breach.

The visitor was 8-year-old Sasha Obama, who's touring Russia along with her older sister Malia. The younger girl could not contain her excitement about Dad's fifth foreign trip in office, so she decided to wake her parents to tell them about it, the president cheerfully recounted in a CNN interview.

"Sasha this morning around 4 am just wandered into our bed and plopped down and started chatting," Obama said in the interview a few hours later. "That was sort of a highlight, although I'm a little groggy now as a consequence."

Both Obama daughters are along for the ride this time around because school is out of session back in the Washington, D.C., area, allowing them to travel overseas on weekdays without missing classes. On an earlier presidential visit to France, Sasha and Malia showed up in Paris on a weekend after school was done for the week.

Asked if having his daughters joining his wife on a high-profile trip helps take the edge off the tough diplomatic negotiations, Obama told CNN it's fantastic to have his girls "being able to see the world and then report back to us on what they are seeing" on the trip, which included the daughters getting to check out the Kremlin.

"You know it makes a huge difference," said the president. "The girls are just a joy. And then Michelle just, she's always - she's a star at home and abroad."

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • President Obama • Sasha Obama
  1. Sally

It is too cute when Obama said that/. The first family looks so nice when they are together!

July 7, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Boston Irish

When the cost of Sarah Palin's children traveling with her was paid by her state, everyone was slamming her and demanding she repay the money. Now, the Obama girls are traveling with them to Russia, do I hear the public outcry?? I don't believe I do. He should have to repay for his children's travel expenses just as Sarah Palin did. As usual, there is a double standard when talking about Obama and anyone else.

July 7, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. Shawn

*yawn*

Some of the comments here prove some desperate just obsessively bash Obama over E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. I have never seen people react so childishly to LOSING an election.

Thank You President Obama and family for representing our country so wonderfully!

July 7, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. ManxMamma

It's curious to me that those on the right have little concept of what it means to be president. It is necessary for President Obama to establish credibility with other country leaders. He is doing what he promised – restoring the good name of the USA. And whether other president's children traveled with them I'd have to some research; the only girls I think were of comparable ages were Amy Carter and Chelsea Clinton. Time for us to learn to be civil once again.

July 7, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. missydean

C'mon people. If you go looking for fluff, don't complain when you find it. Let kids be kids.

July 7, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  6. SGT Anyone

Directed @ david I completely disagree with you and you should actually open your eyes on the us military we do make the world go round if it wasn't for us u wouldn't know what to do when all hell breaks loose the worlds depends on military always has and always will no we are not gods but we are the big brothers of every nation and of our own we are its sworn protecters people like you who only see what affects their own life and not the life of others as well should be educated in what its like to be spit on when you come back from a war that you didn't want to go to but you followed your orders or put in a POW camp and constantly broken down till you lose all faith in help or better yet to go to war and miss your son or daughter be born have a family member killed cause some terrorist wanted to make a point and another thing leave the obamas alone they are no different then any other american family he is our president and he needs his families support more when he is making a decision for the nation I advise you know what you talking about before you comment on it

July 7, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. Deb in Colo

@ Stevie July 7th, 2009 3:09 pm ET

Love the girls, but wish they wouldn't travel on the taxpayers' dime.

-----------

Why not? Every other Presidential son/daughter has traveled with their parents – of either party.

July 7, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Richard L

Obama girls made headlines for promoting a positive image of America around the world.
    Bush's girls made headlines for their arrests.

July 7, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  9. hyprocacy is a frame of mind

July 7th, 2009 4:12 pm ET

Yes the same people that complained about Palin using tax dollars to bring her family when she traveled are ok with Obama doing the same thing. The hypocrisy is limitless.
    ---------------------
    Isn't it though? The same hyprocracy which all presidents have commited time after time while traveling with their families?

If you are concerned a law has been broken, file a complaint. Palin violated Alaskan law. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that same law applies to presidential families.

July 7, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Casy

Ok, so which Obama staffer asked CNN to run this story?

This story is written to show Obama in a good light and make him appear to be a good family man. Why is it ok for Obama to exploit his children when he and his team deem that it is necessary? I can only imagine what the story would have been had this been Sarah Palin!!

Are Americans really this naive??? Well by reading some of the comments, I have to sadly say YES!

July 7, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  11. Boston Irish

I thought Michelle's mother was living free in the White House so she could take care of the kids when the Obamas are off doing their duties. Well, she is definitely not earning her keep now. I'm surprised she isn't on the trip with them.

July 7, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. Jim

When did America become so filled with hate and intolerance? It makes me sick to see such smallmindedness from so many. Finally a President that America can take pride in.

July 7, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. Mike in MN

Honestly? Of all the things people can find to complain about it's that the presidents family went with him on an official visit to Russia? I'm sure no other president ever had his family travel with him...

July 7, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. Doug, New Jersey

It is great that these young girls are not wished harm and trashed with vicious hate the way the Palin children are. To be the nation our founding fathers dreamt we would be, the left needs to learn decency from the right.

July 7, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. Realistic

@Linda Kearney:

Wow you need to relax alittle bit. You know Bush took his wife and his children when he went on a Diplomatic trip.I know you have no idea what its called so I will tell you, its called protocol. Every president since I can remember has taken not only their wife but their children on these trips at tax payer expense. That Linda, at tax payers expense is called supporting your president. We pay for his protection, his trips, his flights on AF1 and we pay for his childrens protection, his wife protection and everything else. We have been doing this for decades.
    And as far as his get away with his wife to night a club, good for him. Atleast it was with his wife and not some lady in another country. Atleast we knew where he was and not faking some hiking trip to meet his soul mate.
    Linda like I said its, Protocol. Every president has done it and probably will continue to do it.

July 7, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. Dave in Texas

I'm glad to see some positive news. All the naysayers just can't get over the fact that their party lost. As for the person that said the Dems are building castles in the clouds and we'd better not be under it when it falls...what about the Fortress in the clouds built by the previous administration? Seems we were all under it when it fell, maybe it just hit some of you in the head.

I support our president (and you don't know how good it feels to say that after eight long years).

July 7, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. Kim

For heaven's sake! What a lot of carping about 2 children traveling with their parents. Presidential families do, on occasion, travel on state trips. There was always belly-aching about Chelsea Clinton going on trips. I'm sure the Bush girls did too....

July 7, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. luvinman29

For those of you upset about the anti-President Obama posts (by sore losers no doubt), take a deep breath and remember that Bush and Dick are gone.......rejoice. 3.5 more years for the repugs to be bitter........mwhahahahahaha.

July 7, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Marie MD

Good for the girls. They are beautiful well behaved children. So unlike so many adults.
    BTW – can they see Alaska from Russia? Just wondering.

July 7, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. Who is paying for this vacation.....

for the Obama kids? I would like to take my kids to Russia
    on taxpayer money also.

July 7, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. pattG

The United States of America land of the free for all people. It's a shame in 2009 that people are complaining about President Obama, Yes, President Obama taking his family on a trip. They are a "family." I guess some people's parents never traveled with their kids, because to make a statement that they're spending the taxpayers money is pathetic. He is "only" the 44th president. I guess you don't recall when all the "other" president's traveled with their children. PLEASE GET OVER IT! HE'S OUR PRESIDENT AND THEY ARE HIS CHILDREN. Sad that your parents never took you abroad so that you could learn and understand other cultures and the world. Some people need to think out side the box and think around the world.

July 7, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Comparing Palin with President Obama!

Why is it that you are comparing Palin who is no longer a governor and is no longer news worthy to whether the President brought over the kids to his Russian trip/ I think it is good to promote the picture of an American family overseas. This is a very positive image to the rest of the world so if my tax dollars is being spent on this I really don't mind. George Bush spent more time on a vacation and didn't do a dran thing to earn us a positive image overseas. I prefer this image.

Palin is old news, she is only popular to the people that are extremists. Sooner than later we will all really find out why she quit and that maybe to avoid a scandal. And yes she is a QUITTER!!!!! You cannot vote somebody to high office that cannot take the fight to the finish. Her play on words is useless, her actions speaks loudest.

July 7, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Conti Gill

Please tell me why SOME people think Sarah Palin, soon to be ex-governor is on the same level as a President...any President. Gosh you Palin whiners are pathetic!

July 7, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. Mike

Obama after tough diplomatic talks? Come on. This guy doesnt do anything. He said the world needs a strong Russia. Well then why was there a cold war? Obama/Bush/Gore etc. are ruining the world with their ridiculous beliefs. Sorry, gotta go now. The 2 minute hate is about to begin and the Ministry of Peace (all republican war mongerers and democrats against bush-but for obama wars) is watching me.

July 7, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. Lynn

The plane flying the President has a number of seats in it. To fly the First Families' daughters is not an added expense. As to their tours of the city, I would imagine those are fee and I doubt that the cost of their food is small and probably covered by the President.

When Sarah Palin becomes President ( I sincerely hope never), I am sure that people who would complain about her taking the then First Samily's children with her would be also seen as a sad, pathetic lot.

The difference between Palin and the Obamas is that they do not parade those children around like props... a few appropriate pictures and some snapped uninvited by the press.

I am old enough to know that the Kennedy children were treated in the same tasteful fashion as the Obama girls.

July 7, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |