July 8th, 2009

Ex-AG Gonzales lands Texas Tech job

Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has taken a job at Texas Tech University.

(CNN) - Nearly two years after being pushed out of office by a scandal surrounding the firing of federal prosecutors, former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has taken a job at Texas Tech University, the school announced Tuesday.

Gonzales will work to recruit minority students for the Lubbock-based college's diversity office and teach a junior-level political science seminar on "Contemporary Issues in the Executive Branch," according to a statement from Texas Tech.

"I am excited that Alberto Gonzales is bringing his experience to Texas Tech," Kent Hance, Texas Tech's chancellor, said in the statement. "His own upbringing in Houston as part of a migrant family with eight children makes him qualified to tell underrepresented Texas students that college is possible."

Gonzales became the lawyer in the 1990s for then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush, who later appointed him to the state Supreme Court. In 2001, he followed Bush to Washington to serve as White House counsel and attorney general - a post he was forced out of in August 2007, amid several investigations into the Justice Department he led.

A special prosecutor is still looking into whether Justice Department officials broke the law in the 2006 dismissals of at least eight U.S. attorneys, several of whom have said they were fired after refusing to mount prosecutions they considered politically motivated. During appearances before Congress, Gonzales appeared to contradict himself, other officials or Justice Department documents and repeatedly said he did not recall the answers to senators' questions.

And Gonzales was at the center of a dispute into the Bush administration's warrantless surveillance program. He originally told senators that there was no dissent among administration officials over the program. But after former Deputy Attorney General James Comey described a dramatic confrontation among top White House, Justice and FBI officials in then-Attorney General John Ashcroft's hospital room, Gonzales acknowledged he "may have created confusion" in his testimony.

Gonzales had blamed "a very tough economy" and ongoing investigations into his tenure at the Justice Department for his extended stretch of unemployment following his 2007 resignation.

"That is why I am working as hard as I can with my legal team to try to get these investigations completed as quickly as possible, because I am anxious to move on to the next phase of my life," he told CNN in February. "I feel like I still have a lot to contribute to our community and to our country and I want to do so."

Filed under: Alberto Gonzales
  1. JJBains

What can he teach them when his memory is so bad – a whole semester of "I don't recall"?

July 8, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. Kim

How CONVENIENT that he lands this job in Dubya's home state. Any bets on the payoff, folks?

July 8, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  3. marcus tullius c

Congrats, Mr. Gonzales. Hope you'll enjoy your new job. Texas is great!

July 8, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. The Party of NO stood calmly by for 8 year while the shrub raped and pillaged America, so, why would we listen to you now?

Yo' Jean,

President Obama had reason to fire the I.G. as outlined in the brief he provided, although, it was late. The I.G. was not fired simply because "he serves at the pleasure of the President" like the lawyers were fired.
    See the diff?

The shrub only knew what a brief was cuz Laura color coded his underwear.

July 8, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. RobertO

Hmmm...Texas Tech thought Bobby Knight could be rehabilitated to bring positive notoriety too...

July 8, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. Jeremiah

Who cares? The guy can't get a job? Get over it and move on with life. Apparently he should just sit at home and cry.

July 8, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. adods

O how the mighty have fallen.

July 8, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Mary Mary

Thanks AlwaysThinking, I almost forgot that touching scene at Ashcroft's hospital bed..."sign the papers, old man"... I'm surprised Gonzo didn't waterboard him then and there!

July 8, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. KenS

JimK wrote:
    "This is an obvious haven for idiot libs who aren't smart enough to know when they've been duped. The Clinton Administration (like most admistrations before them, both democrat and republican) fired ALL of the U.S. Attorneys sitting when they took office."

Yes, they all do. But it virtually NEVER happens to your own appointees, mid-term. THe only time US attorneys are fire without a change in administration is when categorical corruption or criminal acts are discovered. AND PROVEN!

Of course, Gonzales and crew believe that a failure to prosecute for purely political reasons is practically criminal. If you were not a loyal 'Busshie', willing to do what the political powers want regardless of whether it is legally justified, then you have no role in a Republican Justice department.

July 8, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Jeremiah

And he should be in jail? Do you people even understand the law? Please tell me, what will he be convicted for? Being an idiot doesn't get you convicted. What evidence is there? How will he be prosecuted? People are just so uneducated. Learn what you are talking about before you make general statements that are inept.

July 8, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. ST

It sounds like a buch of unhappy dem. folks..... Why don't you all get a life..a real life instead of PO always. By the way, what have you done for your country lately? Nothing !!!!

July 8, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Texas Techsan

Texas Tech is getting unwanted attention for poor decisions. The first poor decision is on the Board of Regents for hiring Hance. The regents were all appointed by Gov. Rick Perry. Get it yet? These guys are so close they share the same underarm deodorant.

July 8, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. Dan, NY

Alberto, Good luck. This world is a wicked place and all liberal including our current president are all wicked people. These blogger here will try to pull you down. I want you to stand strong. You are great. All Latinos are with you.

July 8, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. Patrick, Lake Stevens, Washington

This man should never be allowed to earn another honest wage after the unethical way he ran the office of Attorney General.

July 8, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. Carl from MI

I feel sorry for the students at the university!! The only thing Gonzales is qualified to teach is:

"How to pretend you're upholding the Constitution while violating it"

and

"Memory Loss: How to conveniently forget the truth"

Maybe he can teach an online class while in jail....

July 8, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. HD

Great, one the village idioits lands a job recruiting for a college. What a joke. This guy should be in jail with Bush and Cheney.

July 8, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. rand

He can teach the students how to avoid prison.

July 8, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. calvin

I see the liberals are in full voice. war crimes poor eco. water boarding, hurting teriors who would destroy tour home and not care. people who sent kids to blow up markets and schools these poor people lets bring they here and let them live in your homes.

July 8, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. Fla.

Gonzales should be in jail for politicizing the justice department. I don't miss that Bush/Cheney/Rovian nonsense at all.

July 8, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  20. GOP = 21st century dodo

@Dan

"All Latinos are with you."

Wrong. You do not speak for me.

July 8, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. David in KC

This thug belongs in federal prison. The fact Texas Tech hired him reveals their obvious low standards.

July 8, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Texas Teacher

Hello.... how quickly some forget! Or is this just an example of "you scratch my back and I will scratch yours"... sounds like it to me... sorta like... if you can run a horse show or run for beauty queen, you can do anything! Oh, these republicans.... *LOL*

July 8, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  23. Cnn please post my thoughts! 1 love!

Sorry Dan in NY not all latinos are with this liar and US Constituition abuser.

July 8, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. Mary Mary

Dan NY...I am a Latina, and I DO NOT support Gonzo, in any way. I am proud of my culture and heritage, and embarrassed at what this person who was given so much power decided to use it for. He's evil, corrupt and disgusting in my mind, and I have many latino friends who agree. Speak for yourself.

July 8, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. mjm

You liberals are so right.

Why would a former AG and a former State Supreme Court Justice be qualified to do this job? Especially since it involves recruiting minorities!

It seems like this will serve the Latin community well.

I hear this is a low paying job. I don't think he's doing it for the pay check. Chances are he is still practicing law and he probably has plenty of money. So don't worry about that.

July 8, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |