July 8th, 2009
  1. Hugo

What Ms. Douglas as well as the rest of Washington are missing is that Americans (excluding illegals) aren't concerned about the quality of healthcare we have available to us. Americans are concerned about the cost to each of us, period. When you start looking at this mess, you have a bunch of lawyers on the tax payer nipple in Washington DC leading our Nation further down the path of social decline. What is the driving force that is driving the cost of healthcare; what is the primary reason for our escalating insurance premiums? Doctors do not appear to be making more money over the last few years, in fact they are making less. Insurance companies are in private business in it to make money, who is that takes their money? Competition between insurance companies is the check on price based on supply and demand and value. How about that old tobacco lawsuit awhile back, how about those asbestos lawsuits and pharmaceutical lawsuits you see advertised on TV? If Washington were to regulate lawyers and enacted tort law reform to establish maximum amounts for settlements as related to medical malpractice lawsuits, you would see healthcare premiums drop like a stone. Why wouldn't anyone in DC do this you may ask, hmmmm, let's put on our thinking hats and think about that one. Hint: The golden goose. With great power comes great money, ask anyone in the House or Senate!

July 8, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  2. UNHAPPY DEM

obama and biden need to leave healthcare alone. The far left keeps clamoring for healthcare for everybody. Healthcare is not a right in this country. I pay for my own by working for it, unlike some of the people who haved lived off the government all their lives and are too lazy to get out and pull their own weight. We saw during Katrina how they expect the government to do everything for them. Refugees came to our area and acted like animals, robbing citizens, bringing dope with them,murdering people, spitting and cursing at the volunteers who were trying to help them at the shelters, because the government did not have them in posh hotel rooms.The ones that were in hotel rooms trashed them to the point they had to be remodeled after they left. Our tax dollars payed for all this. They don't deserve healthcare on our dime.

July 8, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. Mike

This is amazing! What she said... Everyone's insurance will go down... everyone that doesn't have insurance will get insurance... we will not add to the deficit! These are all important issues to Obamaism... And you will have more time to talk with the doctor... WOW!!! Anyone listening to this lady and buying everything she says is a fool! Obama is going to MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER!!! He's amazing!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

We are in trouble and you most people don't even realize with what they are going to be hit with. Just like, I won't raise taxes on the middle and low income! Ya, how are you smokers doing out there! Did Obama nail you? How about going green? Is that going to hurt us all?

July 8, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

Another disaster like the Stimulus plan coming from the wonderful Hussein Obama administration, designed to fleece the working class of America of their remaining money through his "share the wealth" plan. Such arrogance and incompetence as the world has not seen since his buddies Hugo Chavez and the Castro brothers.

July 8, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Fla.

Politics are all about compromise to find reasonable consensus. Many Americans have already made a concession to replace the single payer plan with a more acceptable public option.

Why should we, the 72% majority, have to compromise more with a "trigger" loophole when the opposition has not made any concessions towards real healthcare reform?

While this right wing sadly continues their same old talking points & fear mongering nonsense, too many Americans are suffering under the current misguided system, based on profits instead of the best care for patients.

No more diversions. We need real reforms now with the public option included for ALL Americans.

July 8, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. J.P.

"We've done such a good job with Medicare and Medicaid. Give us a shot at 'fixing' your private healthcare."

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help. Come on... what could possibly go wrong?"

July 8, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

The public option is the way to go. Make the private insurance companies COMPETE!!!

July 8, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Mike b

Anything they do will be better than private healthcare, bring on public healthcare now!!!

July 8, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

I want a public option that costs me nothing. It must have no premiums. And has no copays. And has no deductibles. And covers everything. It must include prescription drugs. And lets me choose my own physicians. And has no wait times.

Because I'm a baaaaaaa baaaaaaaaa sheep.

July 8, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. Randolph Carter

Relax, republicans. Healthcare reform will pass but it will be watered down and barely change anything. The lobbyists will see to that. Have a nice day!

July 8, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. Fair is Fair

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA July 8th, 2009 2:30 pm ET

________________

Hey Dutch... just curious. How much are you willing to pay as your portion for the public option?

July 8, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  12. Randolph Carter

I don't want healthcare reform because that would hurt the profits of my insurance company and my HMO and the drug companies. Because I'm a Baaaah Baaah corporate tool! Have a nice day!

July 8, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. Lalita

Hugo you are right. If we don't succeed in getting a government plan to make insurance companies bring down their prices, nothing will change. I am a registered nurse and I have insurance through my hospital. However, I see patients (like me) who have worked all their lives and is in the middle class tax bracket. They suffer an accident or serious illness that takes away their ability to work. They lose their insurance after 18 months (if they can afford the COBRA payments). We need this government plan as a option. Unhappy Dem will really be unhappy if he finds himself in the situations I've seen my patients in. It's heartbreaking. The insurance companies, physician groups and hospital organizations will pay millions of dollars to fight Obama's plan cause they don't care about the people-they care about their pockets. I know this from experience. I've been a nurse for 25 years.

July 8, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. Carl

I have to admit it's nice to hear concessions of up to $155 billion that VP Biden was talking about, but let's face reality for a minute.

In less than one generation, the entire federal budget will be SS and Medicare only. How are we going to pay for all this? You can't tax more. Research has shown that government takes in approximately 20% of GDP regardless of where they set the taxes.

People talk about bankruptcy. This nation is already bankrupt. We have had idiotic leaders for a good while now, and even though they mean well, they are making it far worse. It's only a matter of time...

July 8, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

Randolph Carter:

Nope. I most certainly not a corporate tool. I want healtcare reform. Really!

I want to see the government do something to encourage medical students to go into the primary care fields, because that's where I believe a lot of savings can be reaped. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I want tort reform.

And I want to know how the TRILLIONS in unfunded Medicare liability is going to be addressed.

July 8, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  16. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

@ Fair is Fair

I'm willing to pay what it takes to get it done. Why is it people get their panties in a bunch when 70% of Americans want a public option? There is a word I think that has been stricken from the conservative vocabulary. The word is SACRIFICE.

July 8, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  17. Trade Freedom for Security, Lose Both

If government health care is so good, why is the UK considering giving people money so they can get private insurance? If government health care is so good, why do we hear stories of Canadians coming to the US for surgery?

July 8, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  18. kyle from ohio

Price for democratic plan on affordable health care: $1.6 trillion over ten years. Current spending by Americans that goes into the pockets of private insurers and health care providers: $2 trillion PER YEAR! The private companies are already ripping us off for over ten times the money the public option would give us.

Our two tiered health system allows insurance companies to charge individuals one price while allowing drastic reductions to insurance companies. Health services should have the same price to individuals or insurance companies.

It does not take more money to fix Health Care, because we are already spending the money on the current system, which by the way According to the World Health Organization we are now 37th in the world in healthcare, and the cost of our healthcare is far higher than any other Western Power. What we need to do is restructure how we are spending the money currently.

July 8, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |