July 8th, 2009

Poll: Palin decision doesn't change minds

Seven in 10 Americans said Sarah Palin's decision to resign had no impact on their opinion of her, according to a new poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - It was a stunning announcement that caught many across the country completely by surprise.

Now, four days after Sarah Palin announced that she will step down later this month as governor of Alaska, a new national poll by USA Today/Gallup indicates that seven in 10 Americans say Palin's decision had no affect on their opinion of her.

The survey also suggests a wide partisan split over whether respondents would likely vote for Palin if she decides to run for the White House in 2012. More than seven in 10 Republicans said they would be likely to vote for Palin for the presidency. That number drops to 34 percent among independents and to 17 percent among Democrats.

"Many Americans have deeply-held opinions about Palin as a result of the national campaign in 2008," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Assuming Palin decides to run for the White House in 2012, public opinion is less likely to be affected by her resignation, and more likely to be swayed by what she does once she leaves office."

CNN radio reports on the public response to Palin's move:

The USA Today/Gallup poll was conducted Monday, three days after Palin announced that she would resign as governor, with 1,000 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. big daddy

Maybe she could work for fox news !!!!!

July 7, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  2. carolyn

As a Christian woman living in the beautiful Northwest, I believe Sarah Palin represents me. She's intelligent, answers to a Higher Authority, and is still able to relate to the average joes. Stop trying to create some scandal! Big deal if she steps down–you would too if liberal lawsuits were preventing you from serving those who elected you. It would be awesome if she ran for president, but if she chooses to serve in other ways, believe the best in her.

July 7, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  3. B

Well I guess that's seven votes for Palin.

July 7, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  4. Joe Terrogano

As a Democrat, I am encouraged by the results of the poll. It would be great if she runs in 2012. It let's me and others know where the Republican mind-set is at.

July 7, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  5. Neilz

Do people really consider her a viable candidate? My God, she thinks the White House has a Dept.. of Law. She says she's not a quitter, then quits. She's ant-choice for everyone but herself. She doesn't read. She can't write. I'd like to see a UA, if you know what I mean. If the Republican Party can't shut her up, they really will be "The Lost Party."

July 7, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  6. Chris Temple

That should say a few things to those who wish Sarah Palin would go away.

First, it's now safe to say that conservatives are not the "extreme minority" in the Republican Party. We're at least 70%.

Second, the media's obsession with Sarah and her family is having unintended consequences.

And finally, crazy like a fox, whether she was planning on it or not, 70% is a hell of a start for 2012 run for president.

July 7, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  7. Jan

well.. dumb and dumber go together

July 7, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  8. Lisa

A lot of posts I've read say that the left is afraid of Sarah, and, frankly, the left always protests too much.

I'm left and I admit that I'm afraid of her.

We better watch out! Poor Sarah might just effectively play the victim, and we all to know that Americans love to lift up down-trodden and empathize with the underdog. Intelligence is not a qualification. If she stays out of the headlines for awhile, raises some money, and comes out swinging with a little moderation, she could be scary in 2012. Hopefully, she truly is as flighty as she seems, and perhaps her short attention span won't let her stay focused long enough to do that.

July 7, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  9. WHAAA??

This makes perfect sense. It illustrates why the Repubs are in the shambles. She fits perfectly!

July 7, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  10. Melissa M.

I'm a Republican and I'm embarrassed that my party still supports this ridiculous woman. Balin' Palin....thats who I want as President of the United States of America.....get your heads out of your butts RNC...we're all sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. Find a good, viable, intelligent, candidate who represents us All to the best of his ability........not another barbie doll wannabe.

July 7, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  11. robert

i will vote for you . missouri voter.

July 7, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  12. suzyku

If 7 out of 10 Republicans would vote for Palin then they would deserve what they get, a moronic, nasty fool of a woman! Just don't inflict her stupidity on the rest of us!

July 7, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  13. Lisa

It is still wildly mystifying to me that anyone could take this woman seriously. A message to all the conservative republicans out there: she may talk the party line for you but please, please, please be more selective in the person for whom you vote. Palin doesn't have the intelligence nor the experience to run this country. Someone will come along before 2012 who is more articulate and less crazy.

July 7, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  14. Barrett

This is a disgrace! Is Sarah Palin the best the Right has to offer? An unworldy, inexperienced, media whining quiter? Not the kind of role model I am seeking for my three daughters at all!

July 7, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  15. Jeff, Huntington Beach, CA

Most of the republicans must be taking the same psychiatric medication and it is obviously not working. Maybe it is because she says she is a "Christian" because it worked for George W.

Hypocrites all... God help the rest of us if they get back in power again.

July 7, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  16. andyb

Go for it dingbat! You already lost the last one. It's hard to believe that after the Bush debacle that Americans would make and even bigger mistake and elect a total airhead.

July 7, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  17. Kelly Stephens

Seven out of ten repubs would vote for her? Really? I guess that proves that (at least) seven out of ten repubs are drooling idiots.

July 7, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. David

Wow, are Republican voters trying to sabatoge their bid for 2012 already? They still want Palin to run, seriously????? Not from the resignation, I would think her TV apperence and basically any time she opened her mouth on the campaign trail would have put off the voters entirely, Republican and non-Rep voters alike!!

July 7, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. Jafly

Good! Us Dems would LOVE for Sarah Palin to be the GOP nominee in 2012!!! Please please please, we can only hope.....

July 7, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. citizen

I don't get it. How could anyone vote for a person who resigned their governorship for no discernible reason? Guess it just proves how dumb Republicans are.

July 7, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  21. Jose, San Diego

Nope, Palin could have to admit that Trig isn't her son but Bristol's and the wacky Rapture brigade of the GOP would still talk about how brave a "mothering" move it was. Speaking of the fundamentalist "base" Palin appeals to, "the base" is what "al-qaidi" means. Notice how she backed up in her speech to add "and prayer" after "a lot of thought" - Elmer Gantry in Manolos. What an embarrassingly stupid country we've become.

July 7, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. I. A. Frank

If the lemmings knew that their leader was leading them over a cliff to their death, the lemmings would stop following the leader. 7 out of 10 Republicans still can't grasp that concept.

July 7, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  23. IndiePA

Puh-leeze, tell me this will be the last we have to hear of this opportunist. She has now proven that she will walk away from responsibility. I'm a Democrat and she is one of the reasons I voted for Obama. The other reason? There was no one running from either party who would stand against amnesty for ILLEGALS! Will the GOP now find a strong candidate who will be more middle of the road? I, frankly, have had enough of the far, far right conservative and the far, far left liberal. Now is the time for a third party!!!!!

July 7, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. Rafael VA

I am for Palin 2012 end of story!

July 7, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  25. Lori laughs at the GOP and Palin's "leadership". At least Obama, the community organizer, doesn't quit!

Yeah, I guess with the majority of Republicans supporting her means that she can win the presidency. Oh, that's right the all important Independents only give her a 34%. Guess not... Ha! Ha!

July 7, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |