July 9th, 2009

Iowa GOP to Palin: Come to Des Moines

The Iowa Republican Party wants Sarah Palin to visit its state.
The Iowa Republican Party wants Sarah Palin to visit its state.

(CNN) - Who wouldn't want a big name to headline a major fundraiser? And the Iowa Republican Party is going after one of the biggest draws right now, Sarah Palin.

As first reported in the Des Moines Register and confirmed by CNN, the state GOP is courting the Alaska governor to be the keynote speaker at their annual Ronald Reagan dinner this autumn. The event is the party's largest fundraiser of the year, and has become a popular stop for White House hopefuls.

Aides to Palin have not immediately responded to inquires from CNN regarding whether the outgoing governor will attend the dinner.

Palin shocked many across the country last week when she announced that she would not only not run for re-election next year, but that she would resign as governor later this month.

The stunning announcement sparked debate on whether Palin's decision would be a benefit or a detriment if she decided to make a bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination.

Iowa is a crucial state in the race to the White House. The state's caucuses kick off the presidential primary season.

Filed under: Iowa • Sarah Palin
  1. anita ms

Please ouch. Are the GOP nuts for asking this fruitcake to come be the keynote speaker? Sarah sucks and she is a quitter of the Alaskan people. She will never ever never ever be President! She dont have what it takes. She is a selfcenter, stuckup, n quitter, and dummy of the GOP pottyI where is the tissue?

July 9, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. Reality

Please, please, please stay in the media's limelight. Hold a press conference like you just did every month. Give interviews in hip waders and covered in fish guts. Do whatever it is possible to be in front of the camera. We need you in 2012. America needs you to run for president in 2012. The world needs it.

That way, the democrats, the only party that actually can be called "real americans" now, will win in a landslide. 70 senators in the Senate and 16 years of the Dems in the White house.

For the sake of our children, please.... don't shut up. For the sake of David Letterman's career, more news conferences.

July 9, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Polar Bears Against Palin

Caribou Barbie, sit down and STFUP!!

July 9, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  4. Tulsa

lol... I LOVE it when REPUBLICANS spout about HATE from liberals!

What a bunch of victims. Not a grown up in the bunch.
    Poor losers. No Morals.

July 9, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. EO

I can complete a sentence better than she does and i am a foreigner where English is NOT my language. I learned how to speak and write English when i arrived at this Country.

Pls. What a Joke. Now can someone tell me what her qualification is??

Not even a one term Gov.

Now what is her qualification again????????

July 9, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  6. chee

As far as I know, Sarah Palin is not an extremist as the democrates painted her. She is a very reasonable person with moderate views. She said she respect others' choice in case of rape ... She never said she was pro-life in case of rape.

I used to believe what the main stream media brushed her, but as I took a closer look at her view, her words, what she did for AK, I found out that what she said was quite different from what the main stream media painted her.

So I decided to learn more about her. The more I knew about her, the more I like her and respect her.

July 9, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  7. Capt. Snarky

Run, Sarah, Run. All the way to the Oval Office......

July 9, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Can't wait until 2012.....

Obama is failing miserably on the economy, unemployment and foreclosures.....

Obama also has no credibility with Iran, N. Korea, China, the Taliban or Al Qaeda....

Tell me again-why do we need Obama???

July 9, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  9. barbara

This is a wonderful idea. Sarahs the greatest and, at least, more experienced than Obama was as a senator with less than 160 days service to his electorate (you know the very people that he said he would represent for 6 years and that he didnt have any experience to be president?) yea thats him. anyway, the people, real people not elite northeners, love sarah so i hope she attends and gives a great speech about how the liberal dems are cut throats and will do everything in their power to destroy this country.

July 9, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. ch

Very appropriate – Reagan and Palin have a lot in common.

Neither is/was very bright and both lie/lied constantly (Iran Contra anybody)!

July 9, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. carlo

Of course the state where their representative is the long opposer to a bill acknowledging that slaves built Capitol would love to have her.

The Congressman's defense? "The bill isn't balanced enough". Yeah, right, slavery wasn't either. Palin should feel right at home.

July 9, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. GI Joe

Hey – why not. The best hate-monger the taxpayers money can buy (remember KILL HIM, KILL HIM).

Definitey what Iowa needs. Hate and sunflowers.

July 9, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Mary the Democrat

Not surprising.....as much as some of the pundits would like to think she's gone.......they are wrong.

She's sly as a fox and I hope the Democrats don't under estimate her power within the Conservative community.

July 9, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. John

Thank God the GOP is putting Palin on the road supporting their candidates. Fortunately Governor Perry of Texas has accepted her to campaign for him so we might be able to get the Democrats back into power in Texas and change this carpetbagged state around.

July 9, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  15. James

As a Moderate/ Libertarian Republican, I don't consider myself to be strongly conservative. However, I would far far rather have an ultra conservative in office, vs having a liberal in office.

If the liberals had their way, EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR LIFE WOULD BE CONTROLLED BY THEM!

Even as a moderate in favor of bi-partisianism, I could proudly say, Go Sarah go!!!

She truly cares about the average middle class American family :0)

July 9, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. grace

The claims against Sarah Palin already caused the AK people $2 MIL. I believe for the sake of the state, she better resign. There is no reason to waste the state's money against such frivalous charges against her. (Almost none of them won the case.)

I am not a fan of her. I am not sure if she will run / can run. But to be fair, she was trashed so badly. The media only report on the made up / biased stories agaisnt. It will has consequences – it will push people like me lean towards her.

July 9, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Mich

You know everyone jokes about Sara Palin, but don't forget this is the United States. A place where we watch the Michael Jackson funeral 31 million of us. And where we can't wait to see how L.Lohan messed up. Or see what B. Spears is up to. We are a star driven culture where sports stars are honored more then war heros. So I'm scared that Sara Palin is part of our star culture. She isn't going away while many of the DEM. say their just waiting for next train wreck that is Sara Palin,but just keep this in mind sometimes the train just keeps going to the end. (W.H.)

July 9, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  18. obama can't find chechnya on a map

I'd rather be a conservative nut job than a liberal with no nuts and no job

July 9, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Capt. Snarky

I thought it was interesting to read the earlier snippit about how Sarah still has to deal with the various ethics complaints lodged against her. The point being brought up by someone, that she's being unfairly targeted by the left in this manner.

I think it'd be VERY interesting to see a cross section of all 50 governors, and a listing of the various ethics complaints lodged against them. It'd be informative as to whether this claim of being unfairly targeted bears fruit. But, of course, good luck finding any journalist with enough integrity to investigate that aspect (and to do so without any left-leaning bias).

July 9, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. Melissa

common sense, you are most definately not a Democrat, nor are you thinking.

1. The American people fight each other and criticize each other over absolutely everything, so there is no reason why they wouldn't do the same to Palin.

2. Its human nature.

3. No one is afraid of Palin, other than being afraid that twit would actually take power. She's a brainless bimbo.

July 9, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Steph

CONNIE,
    Didn't you watch her hate-filled speeches during the campaign?!?! She blames the media for attacking her, but then she invites them to accompany her on her private family fishing trip. She can't complete a grammatically correct sentence unless it is scripted for her. She used GOP money to dress her up like a sexy barbie doll, but then attacked anyone who comment on her sex appeal. She has been cited for ethics violations but feels like she has the right to tell me and all other Americans how to live our lives. I could go continue with my list, but I think you get the point.

July 9, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. Sniffit

@ common sense, who said "I am a long time DEM with pro-choice view. But the Palin phenomenon made me so so curious. I think she is a person with charm and can deliver very good speeches like OBAMA. Is this the reason our DEMS are afraid of her so terriblely? "

LOL. If you're a Dem, I'll drink the Pope's bathwater.

July 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  23. CAL

Iowa? Please those country bumkins and palin belong together, let her go let her speak my question is how in the heck can anyone stand the sound of her annoying voice for any lenght of time.

All you people who keep saying " i don't know why people don't like sarah" well let me enlighten you. This nit wit was the biggest embarrassament to mccain and his campaign. mccain wasn't going to win anyway and this nit wit made sure of that.

July 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. Chris

The continued interest in this woman only goes to show the mentality of the American society!!
    This lady don't have a clue and is pretty much in this for the attention she is getting. If she was in some way able to be the GOP nominee for 2012, then i know the world is coming to an end!!

July 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. Expat American

The world laughed at the racist princess of the Christian Conservatives and her legions of bigots last summer and fall....Those news reels of yesteryear (2008) are getting dusty.

It's time to reveal to the world once again the true face of the American bastardization of European Christianity found in the Palin ideology of Conservative Christian Republicans.

Light up the crosses in Iowa Christ Nazis....the global media will be ready. It's Showtime!

July 9, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |