July 12th, 2009

Sebelius: There's a 'shared responsibility' on health care reform

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Obama administration is open to exploring a number of different options in order to achieve the president’s ambitious goals of increasing coverage, containing costs, and improving care in the nation’s health care system, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Sunday.

“The bottom line is it’s got to be paid for,” Sebelius said Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union. “We all have a shared responsibility, that we all need to play a role,” the Obama Cabinet member added.

Asked about a new proposal from Democrat Rep. Charlie Rangel, Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee, that would increase taxes on the wealthiest Americans in order to help finance health care reform, Sebelius replied that “I think everything is on the table and discussions are under way.”

Asked whether the administration would reject any reform proposals that included taxing employer-provided health care benefits, Sebelius was equally equivocally.

There are “no lines in the sand at this point,” she said.

The Obama aide also gave an update on the administration’s preparations to fight the H1N1, or “swine flu,” in the fall when the regular flu season begins.

The HHS Secretary said that if testing of the vaccine goes well, a vaccine should be ready by mid-October.

1. Fair is Fair

GI Joe said "It won't be free. It will cost according to ability to pay. "
    ______________________

From each, according to his ability. To each, according to his need. – Karl Marx, "The Communist Mannifesto"

July 12, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Get Real

I am only responsible for me and my family, NOT someone who had children they could not afford!!!!

July 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Glennis

My responsibility is to me family and my community and to help where I can. The government's responsibility in all this is to curb their spending habits; reduce the size of government, end the duplicative and redundant services therein, and cut out the unnecessary crap on which they continue to squander money. I am more than willing to lend a helping hand to those truly in need, but Ms Sebelius needs to get a clue. If it has to be paid for, let the government do those things mentioned above and maybe they'll have some credibility. Right now, I'm doing my share and I really resent these bubble headed fools in Washington telling me I need to keep on giving. I don't have much left to give.

July 12, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. No Hillary = No Obama

I don't think anyway should be allowed to run for congress or be appointed to an administration if they make over $100,000 a year. Let's get rid of these millionaires who populate the political landscape, feed off opportunism, manipulate the masses. Then maybe actual work would get done that both protects and benefits the American people.

July 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. jerry

Ram it down the GOP throats? Really? No matter how this is passed whether it be to spite the GOP or to make the sleazy pols and lobbyists richer the loser is the same. We the people are the ultimate losers. Just like global warming the debate on health care IS NOT over MR. President and whoever pulls his strings. The USPS, DMV and government are black holes of waste & corruption....we will all betaxed to death shortly so no care will be needed.

July 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. ou repuliklans making "excuses" that Congress the 8 leaders could not "keep a secret" are very quick to throw out that Constitution you yammer on about loving so much. The executive branch is NOT allow to keep secrets from the legislative branch, the Con

Some of you saying you do not want to "pay for others" should look beyond that narrow little limbaugh lemming nose.

Who in the he!! do you think is paying for those "others" today? You are you morons, and you are paying at the highest possible rate, the emergency room rates!

Now for those same little weak minded lemmings that do not want healthcare "rationing", what do you think it is when the insurance company will pay for you PPO doctor but no other one. What do you call it when some insurance admin clerk making $9 dollars an hour denies you services because the insurance company and it's "experts" decide you do not need the procedure YOUR doctor prescribed?

Some of you are too stupid to understand an explanation of reality

July 12, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  7. dj

As retirees, my husband and I already pay $1100. per month for our coverage which does not include dental or vision coverage. We worked all our lives, got good higher education and spent a combined 66 yrs in public education. We paid for 2 kids to go to college and 2 weddings without any help from anyone. We come from lower middle class families who value hard work and educaiton. We also pay another $20,000 in federal taxes every year. We are very fortunate I know, but when do we have to stop paying for those who refuse to do the same?

July 12, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |