July 13th, 2009

Hutchison announces gubernatorial bid, raises $6.7 million

Hutchison announced she will challenge Gov. Rick Perry.

Hutchison announced she will challenge Gov. Rick Perry.

(CNN) - Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said Monday she will challenge Republican Gov. Rick Perry in a primary matchup and reported raising over $6.7 million for the bid in the first half of the year.

"Today I am announcing that the exploratory committee is closed," Hutchison said at a Dallas press conference. "The campaign for governor of Texas is open for business. I am so excited and ready to go."

The four term senator has made no secret about her interest in challenging the more conservative Perry, having established an exploratory committee and campaign staff months ago.

In her announcement Monday, Hutchison said the fundraising haul far exceeded her initial goal of $5 million and will leave the campaign with more than $12 million cash on hand.

The 65 year-old former Texas State Treasurer also said she plans a formal kickoff in August when she will have time to tour the state.

Hutchison's cash haul compares to the $4.2 million Perry raised during the same period, though the 59 year-old Texas governor was barred from raising any money until the end of the legislative session in June. A spokesman for Perry's campaign said the governor has more than $9 million cash on hand.

Praising the "depth and width" of her support, Hutchison dismissed suggestions she had more time than Perry to raise money.

"We both had six months, we were both asking for commitments. We were both out there asking for money," she said.

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison • Rick Perry
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

She must have fell off her rocker. She wouldn't stand a chance.

July 13, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. Ellie, MD

Thank GOD, I'll take Hutchinson OVER Perry any day, any time.
    Governor Perry is a fool of fools. This idiot needs to pack his succession bag and move to Mexico.

July 13, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Sam from Fla

We have to keep Palin around. If I could just get some more video of her winking into the camera, oh yeah, thats the good stuff!

July 13, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  4. Ken

Hey Kay, invite Quitter Sarah down, she's got some rightwing money to spend on you. Poor Texas - Good grief!!! You couldn't get any deeper into Dumdf–kistan, unless of course you slipped on some cow dung at the border and fell onto Oklahoma!

July 13, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. Royster

OK Here is the Perspective!!

Kay Bailey Hutchison: 6.7 Million Raised first 6 months of this Year
    Sarah Palin PAC: 730 Thousand Raised first 6 months of this Year.

So.....if 730K is 'Big' Money.......what is 6.7 million? 'Mega-Money'??

Let's all put Palin's 'six' PAC in real perspective....namely...MINIMAL impact.

Run Kay and take back Texas from the GOP and Chuck Norris!!

July 13, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. makesUwonder

Being from Texas I'm hoping Debra Medina, Republican candidate for governor of Texas wins!

July 13, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. GI Joe

Now there's a woman with some sense.

July 13, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. GOP = Party of Tolerance

Hutchison is unstoppable for 2010!!!!
    Perry's goose is cooked no matter how many of his patronage beneficiaries and cronies support him. "Mr. Succession" Perry has no chance in hades to extend his reign of incompetence.
    No one can deny Hutchison is the frontrunner For Texas Governor in 2010.

July 13, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. yuri

Texas is a tough state for the Dems to deliver. For one, it is a red neck state, somewhat like the carolinas, and for the other, Chuck Norris, probably, is waitin' in a corner to pounce lika a panther to endorse a GOP buff.

July 13, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Laverne

Don't really care for Huchison, but I hope she kicks Rick Perry's butt!

July 13, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Kate in SW Fla

Texas needs to go this less wacko route, if they want to stay relevent.

July 13, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Zion

Go Kay. Just don't talk about leaving America, the place you claim to love.

July 13, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Alicia

I am no Republican, but I think she would be a HUGE improvement. I would love a two party system with people who have a brain. Kay is one sharp cookie. I don't think Texas will be getting on the news for goofiness with her instead of Perry the looney!

**Please don't invite Sarah down, honey child.

July 13, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  14. E.C.Coleman

Senator Hutchinson is NOT a dynamic leader.
    There is no way she could be a better Governor than Governor Rick Perry, who will run again.
    Hutchinson should stay in the Senate.

July 13, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. Roger from CA

What's her position on secession?

July 13, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  16. Rosa Birmingham, AL

Good for her. Now here is a qualified woman. Even if I disagree with her on every issue at least she is not a crazy scary quitter. MCCain would have been better off picker her for VP.

July 13, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  17. IndyVoter

I am a Democrat. This is one Republican, of a number that I could count on 3 fingers that I would even CONSIDER voting for....and is likely the only Female candidate that could beat Hillary Clinton in a head-to-head...She should have been McCain's running mate instead of Palin....So sorry for ya.

July 13, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Kay Baily Hutchison will be an excellent candidate for governor of Texas and can show the people of this country that, unlike Sarah Palin, there are qualified and intelligent female Republican candidates. Her far more reasonable stance on issues that face this country are in great contrast to far-out current governor Rick Perry who earlier suggested Texas may leave the union when he didn't like the way things were going. Good luck Ms. Hutchison – I wish I could vote for you. This country needs strong women on the national stage.

Val in North Carolina

July 13, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. Rosa Birmingham, AL

Folks, Kay is a Republican. There seems to be some confusion here. She can't take Texas back from the GOP, she is GOP.
    That having been said, I still think she is qualified even though I disagree with her on almost every issue.

July 13, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Texans need to get their cowboy politicians out of office and actually put someone in their with a fuctional brain. I don't think a democrat will ever run the state of Texas, but the last election may prove me wrong. When I think back to when I was stationed there and then Gov. Bush was the head honcho, I knew something was seriously wrong with majority of Texans. Who put that numbskull in charge. For a guy who has so many Christian "values," he sure did execute alot of people in Texas.

July 13, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  21. Chris D.

Hey as long as Texas kicks that successionist out of office...what a hater and divider that gov. Texas has got right now!!

July 13, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  22. Ancientrivr

This is the sort of person who might have won McCain the Whitehouse. That said, I am particularly happy that Obama won given that Palin would have been VP.

July 13, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  23. Valerie in North Carolina

Kay Baily Hutchison will make and excellent governor of Texas. Here is a Republican woman who is educated, experienced and intelligent unlike Sarah Palin who seems unqualified even as governor of Alaska. Ms. Hutchison stands hands-over Rick Perry whose claim to fame seems to be his threats that Texas should leave the union as he does not like the way things are going. Good luck to you Ms. Baily, I wish that I could cast a vote for you!

July 13, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  24. Keith, CO

If she beats the "secessionist" her state owes her a huge debt of gratitude.

Patriots Before Anarchists! Be it Democrat, Republican or Independent.

July 13, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. A in Austin

Perry has already "promised" us that Palin will be hanging out with him on the campaign trail. Kay, we are so ready for some honesty and common sense in the capital. This is one democrat who will be voting in the Republican Primary come spring.

July 13, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |