July 13th, 2009

Hutchison announces gubernatorial bid, raises $6.7 million

Hutchison announced she will challenge Gov. Rick Perry.

Hutchison announced she will challenge Gov. Rick Perry.

(CNN) - Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said Monday she will challenge Republican Gov. Rick Perry in a primary matchup and reported raising over $6.7 million for the bid in the first half of the year.

"Today I am announcing that the exploratory committee is closed," Hutchison said at a Dallas press conference. "The campaign for governor of Texas is open for business. I am so excited and ready to go."

The four term senator has made no secret about her interest in challenging the more conservative Perry, having established an exploratory committee and campaign staff months ago.

In her announcement Monday, Hutchison said the fundraising haul far exceeded her initial goal of $5 million and will leave the campaign with more than $12 million cash on hand.

The 65 year-old former Texas State Treasurer also said she plans a formal kickoff in August when she will have time to tour the state.

Hutchison's cash haul compares to the $4.2 million Perry raised during the same period, though the 59 year-old Texas governor was barred from raising any money until the end of the legislative session in June. A spokesman for Perry's campaign said the governor has more than $9 million cash on hand.

Praising the "depth and width" of her support, Hutchison dismissed suggestions she had more time than Perry to raise money.

"We both had six months, we were both asking for commitments. We were both out there asking for money," she said.

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison • Rick Perry
  1. notfooledtx

FINALLY!!!

I doubt I'll vote republican in the governors race here, but I'd take Hutchinson over Perry. He's a wingnut – appointing creationists to the school board, eliminating health programs in the schools. Embarrassing the state with his ridiculous talk about succession.

He barely held on in the last election – heck, he almost lost to Kinky Friedman! Perry's a gonner, and to that I say good riddance.

She'll have a fight on her hands if Bill White the mayor of Houston gets in the race...but the outcome will be better if Perry is tossed out.

July 13, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Bill from CA

Good for her. I'm not a Republican, but I realize whoever wins the GOP primary will likely win the governor's seat, and Rick Perry wants to secede from the country, making him a traitor. He's also known for making quite a lot of weird comments. Hutchinson reminds me a lot of Ann Richards for her outspoken, direct, no-nonsense methods of communication, which is what we need more in our government these days.

July 13, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. NVa Native

Perry is a radical nut, Hutchinson is not psycho enough for the Limbaugh "base". So good luck to her, and I'm sure the Dems would rather have Perry.

July 13, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. notfooledtx

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA July 13th, 2009 4:17 pm ET

She must have fell off her rocker. She wouldn't stand a chance.

Thanks for the Virginia opinion (useless as it is). Folks here in TX will disagree with you – we're not all "tea bagging" succession seeking wingnuts – there are folks here with live and functioning brain cells.

July 13, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. GI Joe

ADN dot com says Palin will campaign for Perry. HUH? Not for a woman, but for a secessionist - go figure. Maybe the first DUD pulled her strings again.

July 13, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Steve (the real one)

I knew it wouldn't take long for some of you to interject Sarah Palin into this story! The same mouths that scream "enough of Sarah" are some of the same mouths (and fingers) hat keep interjecting her in stories that are not remotely about her! Can't have it both ways Liberals!

July 13, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. videodrome

Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison is definetely a step up from the current governor of Texas.
    Perry need to secede himself from politics.

July 13, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I recant my earlier comment. She stands a chance of winning if she can attack Perry on his comments about seceeding from the union.

July 13, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

Every one of those contributors wasted their money by throwing it at a narcissistic, uneducated, unprepared, immature little girl who can't take political heat and is a quitter.

July 13, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. Anny

I am a liberal democrat and voted for Obama, I "m as liberal as they come but if this woman were to run for President I would vote for her......this is one smart and savvy republican........she has the experience unlike Palin, she has finished the offices she has been elected too unlike Palin, she can speak intelligently unlike Palin.......If republicans had any smarts they would start working to get this woman out there and supporting her.........

July 13, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  11. Chris - Denver

Even though I am a Democrat, I have a lot of respect for Kay Bailey Hutchison. This would be a huge improvement over that nut Perry.

July 13, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  12. A.J. Deon

Well, thanx to Rick, you'll have a brand new Governor's mansion!!!

July 13, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. Reformed Republican

Good for you Sen. Hutchins!
    Lets hope the "good" (aka normal) people of Texas elect you and dump this wild-eyed neocon chump Perry.
    Perry has made Texas the laughing stock of the US with his tea-bagging, good ole' boy racist bleatings and absurd statements about leaving the US. The only thing he lacks is the mullet haircut, long-neck bottle of Bud and white hood to go with his "down home" dixie politics.
    Thump him good Sen. Hutchins, thump him good! Bring respect back to the Lone Star state...

July 13, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. Cali J

Sorry to change the subject folks, but is there some reason that Drudge, CNN, or MSN are not stating that for the first time in history the federal deficit has surpassed one trillion dollars? Another historic event for Obummer. This is change we can live without. Wake up kool aide drinkers, this is your debt too. Go ahead and say this is Bush's fault! Make me laugh even harder. Tough to admit that the anointed one is just an empty suit community organizer who is in way over his head. The people he surrounds himself with are just as bad. This will be the worst administration ever. Even worse than Carter.

July 13, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. Kelby In Houston, TX

Kay Bailey Hutchison has been around Texas Politics for YEARS! The first time I heard of her was when she ran for state treasurer. She has run for and won everything in between. While she is a Republican, she is as moderate and as intelligent as we can get from that party in this state. The Great State of Texas remains largely un scathed by this recession and hopefully we will be able to ride this thing out. But, if there is no viable Democratic candidate...and there is not, Kay is the way to go.
    Hell, I might I even campaign for her

July 13, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. Sam in Houston

Kay for Texas ....you got my vote...we need you Kay.
    Good Luck and hope to see you in 2012 for president

July 13, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  17. lila

I'm going to vote for her. I think Gov. Rick Perry is nuts. He took an oath to The United Sates of America and treated that like it meant little more than mouth wash. He might not like some of Obama's choices but that does not mean Texas is a fair weather friend ready to abandon the rest of our Country when the going gets tough. He is just so sleazy. Turned me off something awful.

July 13, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Billy J in Texas

I voted for her twice, and quit voting after the Clinton impeachments. The majority of the Republicans here in Texas are morons at best and complete criminals at worst. Gramm (responsible for the current bank debacle) is a good example. I will certainly vote for Kay Bailey against Perry, but am hoping for a better choice than either from the independents or Democrats. Maybe Kinky will run again, that is who I voted for last time... why not?

July 13, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. Sam in Houston

Now that is how a true texan raises money ....move over sarah let a real politican show you how to raise money.

July 13, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  20. Keeth in California

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson on Bill Clinton:
    The President lied under oath as an element of a scheme to obstruct the due process of law, but we chose to look the other way? I cannot make that choice. I cannot look away. I vote `Guilty' on Article I, Perjury. I vote `Guilty' on Article II, Obstruction of Justice. I ask unanimous consent an analysis of the Articles of Impeachment be printed in the Record.

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson on Scooter Libby:
    I certainly hope that if there is going to be an indictment that says something happened, that it is an indictment on a crime and not some perjury technicality where they couldn’t indict on the crime so they go to something just to show that their two years of investigation were not a waste of time and dollars.

July 13, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. Hen from Jacksonville, FL

I wish Senator Hutchinson the best of luck. She is one of the very few intelligent republicans out there and she will be better for Texas than that whack job Rick Perry.

July 13, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. Alberta Treadway

I lived in texas for years, but call Nebr. my home. I am glad for Texas, and I voted Demacrate for Prez., but would be proud to vote for Kay. I hope the texans see the back side of Perry. He's a racist fool of the worst kind. I think Kay will work with Demacrates and Republicans alike, and is the good folk we need back in office. The trueth of the matter is, "We really don't care what their party filliation is, as long as they work together, get us health care, and put us back on a prosperouse path that Bush destroyed the last eight years".

July 13, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. Billy J in Texas

Cali J...

you make it sound like somehow this last Bush wasn't the worst administration ever. Waaaaay worse than Carter. wanna count

no 9–11 size succesful attack during carter (the iranians did hold hostages just like there are American hostages all over the world right now , for some reason it doesn't matter anymore)

Deficit true, but nothing like Reagans and good lord Bush was just passing out our money to contractors by the wheelbarrow.

no complete infrastructure failure during a crisis like Katrina

it goes on and on. so man up and start helping and stop whining

July 13, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  24. craig simpson

Another repub jumping the ship. Gotta love it!

Remember, the republicans have destroyed the economy and lied about WMD's

July 13, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. The Light

Hutchinson should be going for President! At least the republicans would have a contender instead of a nit-wit who doesn't even know what Bush's doctrine is.

July 13, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |