July 15th, 2009

Huckabee warns Palin: Don't leave GOP

Huckabee wants Palin to stay in the GOP.
Huckabee wants Palin to stay in the GOP.

(CNN) - Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has a warning for Sarah Palin: Don't abandon the Republican Party.

The former presidential candidate and potential future White House rival of Palin's said Tuesday he's concerned about speculation the Alaska governor may leave the GOP to become an independent.

"I hope she remains - let me be real clear - a part of the Republican Party," Huckabee told FOX News. "I'm a little concerned when I hear her say that she may sort of branch out and go third party or go independent. That would be a big mistake because we need to rebuild the Republican Party, not abandon it."

The comments come days after Palin told the Washington Times she intends to spend her days out of the Alaska governor's mansion campaigning for both Republican and Democratic candidates whose ideas she supports. That prompted speculation the onetime GOP vice presidential candidate could consider running for office in the future as a third party candidate.

But Huckabee - who, like Palin, is thought to be considering a White House bid in 2012 - said Palin has an important role to play in the Republican Party.

"I want her to succeed, and I'm delighted to see her continuing to use her voice because I do think that she rallies people," he said. "She brought electricity to the Republican ticket last year, when, frankly, there was about as much excitement as you would see, you know, at a - at a Baptist dance, which means there wasn't any, until she showed up for the ticket. And then there was fire going forth."

Related: Poll: Majority of Republicans don't think Palin's qualified for prez

Huckabee - now a commentator for FOX News - also praised Palin's recent Washington Post op-ed attacking President Obama's support of a "cap and trade" program, saying it shows her "serious side."

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Sarah Palin
  1. Obama: A change U can beleive In

Yeah....she should abandon the GOP of the rich old white males that only care about the riches and have no empathy for poor and the less fortunate

July 15, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. Steph

Palin starting a far right third party would be the best thing for the GOP. That group of bible-thumping nut jobs who use religion for their own benefit is what scares moderates away from the Republican party.

July 15, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Fredrick from OH

That soteomyer looks shady

July 15, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Sniffit

He's just scared that if she leaves, he'll take her place as the cuckoo fundamentalist who places dogmatic adherence to biblical and religious tenets over objective, rational, thoughtful attention to scientific and other evidence.

July 15, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. CF

All they can do is attack, attack, attack, and praise others for attacking. These are the folks whose politics and mindset got us into our current mess, and all they do is attack those trying to get us out.

Republicans set our house on fire, and now they complain that Obama is using too much water to put it out. While they stood by idley watching it burn.

July 15, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Darth Vadik, CA

I hope the crazy lady remains a republican too.

July 15, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  7. virginia nielsen

This guy acts like he is still in the 50's , forgetting that we're in 2009 with a lot of information from all sources...even he's show is totally outdated ! Palin probably is out because of the scandals in her family. For a regular"conservative"she is not a good exemple !!!

July 15, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. Sandra Day

Yep. This is just what I predicted. She is more-so bad news for the Republicans than Democrats. However, Palin is a better fit for the Independent ticket, which commonly covers more of your fringe ideas. She is not appropriate for the Republicans. Republicans need to leave all of those hillbilly ideas behind, if they are ever going to be seen as a progressive party. They also need to get rid of Limbaugh, and, yes, Mr. Steele. They are too old school.

July 15, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  9. dominican mama 4 Obama

"Don't leave the GOP" Huckabee was heard to say, "Come on down here and die with the rest of us."!

tee hee hee!!

July 15, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. justme

oh, No Sarah Palin claims to support if necessary a democrat is a ploy and trick of the enemy.... we do not want her and she should stay exactly where she is the Republican Conservative Right Wing. If she even began to shows signs of bailing to the Dems the Republicans would rejoice

July 15, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. John Black Hills/SD

Why would Huckabee beg Palin to remain in the GOP with the notion that to rebuild a failing republican party with the same old ideas and ideologies will create a new winning strategy. Go back to preaching Huckabee, and take your delusional evangelicals with you. Americans need leaders who live in the real world, not a monotheistic fantasy.

July 15, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. gl, From Pittsburgh

It is sad that every thing Sara Palin say leave people wondering what she mean about her statement. She is a real nut case.

July 15, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. sharon endicott

Everyone knows that politicians have writers and rarely write their own stuff, and it's obvious that Sarah Palin did not write the piece in the WP. Someone did a good job of putting together a column that appears to be well written. Which proves she didn't writie it.

July 15, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. S M R

Mike: You're dumber than I thought or you just look good standing next to her. Which is it?

July 15, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. SlowGun

"I hope she remains — let me be real clear — a part of the Republican Party," Huckabee told FOX News. "I'm a little concerned when I hear her say that she may sort of branch out and go third party or go independent. That would be a big mistake because we need to rebuild the Republican Party, not abandon it."

----------------------------

umm somebody needs to tell Huckabee that Palin is a quitter. So abandoning the party, now when it is such a mess, is something that fits her character.

July 15, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. gl, From Pittsburgh

Yea, they need to be concerned becasue they only have 21 percent that Identified themself as a Repubicans and have that percentage will go to Sara Palin becasue we don't wont her.

July 15, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. videodrome

Huckabee – let me be real clear – SHUT UP.
    SHUT UP.

I think it is about time for this woman to do some growing up and start thinking with her own mind.
    As much as I dislike Palin, and believe me I DO, I think this woman made a wise choice to focus on others things besides partisan politics. She took the money and ran, but even in this country, this woman should be allowed to do with her money as she sees fit.

So go preach your vitrole somewheres else, Huckabee.

July 15, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. Mike

Sorry Mike, but you don't need to rebuild the Republican Party with idiots like Palin. Actually, do rebuild it with people like her so the party can finish it's slow death slide into obscurity.

July 15, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  19. hoho

huckabee is right that if Palin goes independent and runs in 2012 for Pres that she will get a segment of the Republican base to vote for her and the Republicans will lose the Pres election. The Repubs need her to stay Repub if they have a chance at 2012 Presidency

July 15, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  20. CF

This defines the problem with the Republican party: They consider it "a big mistake" to be nonpartisan, to reach out to others who are not like-minded Republichristians.
    I am thankful every day that these ignorant, self-centered Republicans like Huckabee aren't in power.

July 15, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. Darth Vadik, CA

I thought at one point in my life that it was cool to be a republican, they always sounded tough, and Democrats always sounded more reserved, and somehow whimpier. This was before I understood what the parties stood for.

In the mid 1990's although I had more in common with the Democratic beliefs I still called myself a cernetr republican. Then one night it hit me. All republicans ever had was talk. I agree with nothing they stand for. ANd I for sure dont condone their Hollier than thou attitude with a perverts behaviour.

So I let go of the old prejudices against the Democrats, and became one.

I have never looked back, and the republicans have only gone down hill from then. Democrats may not be a perfect party, but they are a thousand times better than anything Republicans have to offer (usually only tough talk).

I'll take brains over mouth any time.

July 15, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  22. Oh, yeh

No, please, form a third party. Spliit the koo-koo vote.

July 15, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  23. Antoine

I love Huckabee, but the only solution that I think is necessary to rebuild America as a whole, is breaking the two party system with a new and constitutional crowd. And Palin is the right person for that!

July 15, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  24. Steve

Summed up this way.......Huckabee wants to ensure the GOP doesn't lose any bigots like himself........

July 15, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. Whatever

I bet if Sarah Palin became president (God Help Us), I think she would quit after two years if she was offered a starring role in a movie. Has she even held a position for four years? That's a lot to ask of her.

July 15, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |