July 15th, 2009

Obama’s political team targets Democrats

A new ad Wednesday targets fellow Democrats and centrist Republicans.
A new ad Wednesday targets fellow Democrats and centrist Republicans.

(CNN) – President Obama’s political operation will begin running television ads Wednesday targeting fellow Democrats and centrist Republicans urging them to support the president’s call for health care reform this year.

The 30-second TV commercial will run in eight states: Arkansas, Indiana, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Ohio for two weeks, according to a preview of the ad provided to CNN by Obama’s Organizing for America (OFA).

The commercial, which features five people discussing health care problems, will also run on national cable television, in Washington, D.C., and online, according to OFA, which is now housed at the Democratic National Committee.

The ad running in the eight states does not mention the senators by name, but it does ask viewers to call Capitol Hill, and provides the telephone number for the U.S. Capitol switchboard. Two of the states, Arkansas and North Dakota, are represented by a pair of Democratic senators, while the six remaining states are represented by centrist Democrats and Republicans. The commercial that is running nationally follows the same script, but it does not ask people to call their senators.

Stewart said the people in the commercial “were among hundreds of thousands of people who shared their stories with OFA.” Next week, OFA will hold news conferences, town halls and other grassroots events to shine a spotlight on healthcare reform, a major domestic priority for Obama. The president has called on Congress to deliver a healthcare reform bill by October.

Full script follows

"It's Time"Woman 1: My son has cerebral palsy and epilepsy. He's four.

Man 1: When I lost my job, I lost my health insurance too.

Woman 2: My health insurance wouldn't fully cover me when I got sick.

Man 2: My father in-law walks with a limp because he didn't have health care.

Woman 3: My husband's job covered us, until he was laid off.

Man 1: It's time.

Woman 2: It's time.

Man 2: It's time.

Woman 1: It's time for health care reform.

VO: The Democratic National Committee is responsible for the content of this advertising.

CHYRON: It's time for health care reform. Join the fight: healthcare.barackobama.com

[State Version]: CHYRON: It's time for health care reform.

Filed under: Health care • OFA
  1. Bob in Pa

Say 'NO' to more Gov't corruption and spending. Keep the Government out of business. We already know they can't perform when in charge of our money.

Take a look at Medicare. It's full of fraud, costs way more than it supplies.

What happens when it goes the same route as Social Security. When all the money paid into Health Care coverage gets redirected to the general fund and spent ? You say it won't happen ? We put laws in place to prevent that from happening. All it takes is for these greedy politicians to look at the excess money in Health Care and those laws will be rewritten overnight.

When the American people are once again in charge of their government, when the politicians truly answer to the people paying their salaries, then it will be time to look again at Health Care reform..

July 15, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  2. TCM

The ad needs some more lines like....

"It's time that illegals get kicked out of the country, and refused healthcare on the US taxpayer nickel...."

"It's time welfare leeches get off their front porch and actually get a job, welfare reform is needed, reducing the length of the entitlement.."

Both measures would simply save millions, yet the Obama administration is bent on creating a weakly defended nanny-state...

July 15, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  3. Zack

Go Obama..I support you 100%

July 15, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  4. SAGG

Well, it's a little late in coming, but at least they're getting it in gear, now. It's time to put some Blue-dog Dems on the hot seat...

July 15, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  5. Peoples Voice

It needs to be aired here in AZ. The health care/drug lobby has been all over TV with their garbage.

The question is; are you tired of having a bean counter getting between you and your doctor. I for one am very tired of it. It's time for change.

July 15, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  6. Anonymous

As a physician, I can say that the administration is approaching this entirely the wrong way. Increased government intervention, especially with a public plan and payment mandates is NOT the answer. As an example, it has been proposed that medicare payments to cardiologists to perform cardiac catheterizations, echocardiograms, and other life-saving procedures be reduced by 25-45%. If that in fact happens, good luck getting an appointment to see your doctor or getting the procedure that you need. It is inevitable that many physicians will stop seeing medicare patients out of necessity, not want, because they will not be able to sustain their practices under these conditions. THAT IS THE REALITY, WAKE UP AMERICA.

July 15, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Aunt Bea and Opie

Trying to teach rednecks that it might be good to have health care can be tough in some states.They just go to the ER for care now, but not until they are in bad shape or half dead.They dont want to offend their leader,Rush Limbaugh,who says he doesnt want to fund them with his hard earned millions,and that dying is a good thing, just like greed.

July 15, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. jaye

These democrats "blue dogs" best wise up – I guarantee they will not be re-elected if they do not support health care reform.
    Why would anyone be against healthcare reform? Why???
    Millions without healthcare already, and millions more on the horizon.
    Wise up people and support healthcare.

July 15, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. nardofree va.

cnn , you guy's are using the word targeting dems. and repubs. as if they will be facing a firing squad if they don't support the Presidents health care plan .

July 15, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  10. Traj

It's simply the right thing to do. Eveyone, not just the so-called majority needs healthcare. I really can not understand the republicans thought process to say "NO" to everything this president is trying to accomplish. This is the most idiotice thing I have ever witnessed in my life time.. I pray daily ( I really do) that Father God would lay his hand down on our President and speak mightily and powerfully through him to the entire conservative base of people, that it is not their world. This President is the best thing that could have happened to this country at this particular time. He's fighting for us all, even the racist, the bigots, the conservatives, the republicans (they all go hand and hand), the angry bitter, gun toting nuts.. he's even fight for the ill advised such and Rush, and Ann Coulter (I don't know why he would even waste his time on these two nut jobs). Anywy, I love my president, and I truly believe God has this man, and this man has God.

July 15, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  11. Saul

You bet run out there and call your Senator. Tell them the government runs things so well like the stimilus and everything else they need to reform healthcare. They are the catalyst for al great work and so lets throw them healthcare – MORONIC.

July 15, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  12. Phil

I wrote and called all of my state Senators and Congressman, to Vote NO to health Care Reform and Cap and Trade. I am a democrat, but enough is enough on government taking over the whole infastructure of America. What people do not realize is, with the proposed tax increases on these bills, business owners will end up hiring or keeping less employees around to make up for the difference – that isn't creating jobs, it is creating more hand outs – that isn't the America this Democrat dreamed.

July 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  13. bill

Can we park talking points on both sides for a moment. Does the intense pressure to rush through make anyone else feel increasingly bizarre. These folks in these commercials will have sad stories, which all will symathize with, but dont let that bring you to the conclusion that the only way to help them is this massive, mostorous 1001 pg bill paid for by fictitous efficiencies and tax hikes on succesful americans.

Someone tell me why we need a Govt plan and what they are pointing to as a successful model. I am not trying to antagonize, just find out. Cause when I see the postal service, Social Security, and every other Govt run plan, they consistantly are inefficient and over budget.

If it is a good Bill and a good idea, it can and should stand scrutiny.
    Can we agree to that? Most Americans 80%, are at least somewhat satisfied with their current plan, but do want to help reign in costs and expand coverage to those that need it.

Work on tort reform, offer money to those that really need it to make it affordable, restrict pre existing conditions barring access, and make insurance portable, like a 401 K.

There are other ways, other plans, other proposals that address the issue, lets examine them all.

July 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  14. Obama steamroller

Now no one is safe.

July 15, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Charlie in Maine

I would remind those Democrats thinking of voting against this of what happend in 1994 when the GOP came out with their "Contract on America". The GOP's ideas were all wrong but we were powerless to stop them because our party did not have the "backbone" to pass healthcare reform. ( I write backbone but I am thinking a bit lower).

Lead follow or get out of the way.

July 15, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. ms.shell - California

Here Here. I love it. Healthcare is essential. I can't wait to see the ad, I am an self employed individual and am excited to have the options available thru the new administration. President Obama said, CHANGE, now let's take him at his word. Everybody has a right to health care. The republicans continue to be the party of no.... and they continue to want tax cuts, tax cuts to cover any situation. This did not work in the past and its' the reason why we are in the mess. Stop being so bull headed, open your minds, think outside the box, help america, don't ruin it due to your personal preference of politics.

July 15, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. william gair

19 years batteling HIV and still working. Now I have no regular job and no health insurance. Don't know how much longer I can keep surviving in this type of system. I need to be able to go to my doctor even if I've lost my job.

July 15, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  18. johnnie

I will make a prediction, those democrats who are not on board with this health care plan, will be reformed,without seats and the centrist (republicans)who already are in jeopardy of losing their seats, the american people are paying close attention to them.President Obama is taking his (health care ) proposal to the people ,who are in great need. The greedy politicans and their partners in health care ,are being put in the spotlight,and they finally are being put on notice. We need afordable (health care) americans have suffered long enough,these adds show ,that the power of the people,will bring results,and the President is tapping into the urgency of what the (american people ) want. And the President wont be denied, we are close for the first time in american history (HEALTH CARE REFORM)..The nation will demand this (CHANGE) and health care will be passed,the momentum is strong ,and cant be stopped.Democrats .,(WAKE UP) because it is time for (CHANGE)

July 15, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |