July 15th, 2009
  1. na

Cmon, lets see it. Is she a traitor too?

July 15, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Do you need a Kalishnakov rifle to do defend yourself? No! Do you need a Mac-11? No! Do you need an MP-4? No! A plain old 9mm, .40 cal, .22 cal, .45 mag or .357 mag is all you need. I'm all for hunters and sportsmen having rifles whether it be for sport or competition. Although I believe sportsmen who compete should have the right to own assault weapons whereas a hunter shouldn't because you don't need an M-4 assault rifle to kill a moose from a helicopter like that Quitter Palin in Alaska.

July 15, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. joey

'Splainin'? I mean can the GOP get any more clueless. Quoting Ricky Ricardo in an accented voice does not help their cause.... Sotomayor is outclassing the republicans by a mile.

July 15, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  4. lynn in NM

I didn't hear her "address" anything. She has that two step going where she doesn't answer any questions. Sounds like Bill. I wonder if she knows what the meaning of "is" is.

July 15, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. PFFT

That didn't say a THING about my rights as a US citizen to own a gun AND bullets and keep them in my house for MY protection and USE IT, if I'm threatened. She's obviously learned the Obamanation way of sidestepping and giving partial (if you could call it that) answers.

July 15, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. preciseinc

I think that she is just absolutly awesome!!!!

July 15, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Alan

It's always funny to me how the SAME people who want to "protect" the unborn so fervently are also the ones who DEMAND unfettered, unlicensed and uncontrolled availability of guns for everyone.

Guns can kill people. Fathers and mothers of those babies you want to protect. Cars also can kill people. For that reason, cars (which I believe under the Constitution we all have a right to own - just like guns) are LICENSED and CONTROLLED.

Right now you have a tougher time in this country getting a license to drive a car than you do a handgun with little purpose beyond possibly target practice - and KILLING PEOPLE. I don't know too many hunters who take on big game with a handgun. Or small game, for that matter.

Get real.

July 15, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  8. Matthew

It's a shame someone being considered for the highest court in the land does not know the difference between the word eminent and the word imminent.

July 15, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Mark,B'ham,Al.

Does anyone really think she is going to really answer the question on gun control or alot of other issuee. If she doe than she gives republicans cover to vote no against her for being to the left of most Americans, especially on gun control. Owning a gun is part of the origional Bill of Rights so if we can over ride one amendment on the Bill of Rights, judges can override them all. I want my guns to protect my family from those whose family did not teach them to obey the laws ans teach them right from wrong. You come in my house and "Bess" wil fill you full of lead poisoning.

July 15, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. Trade Freedom for Security, Lose Both

The Second Amendment is clear to me.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

July 15, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. addon

OK...once again for our narrow minded republican friends;

Judge Sotomayor is NOT going to comment on hypotheticals. We all understand that the GOP senators want to send a message to their base that they can walk through the streets packin shotguns, missles, hand grenades and other nuclear projectiles to insure they will never be overtaken by the "socialist" democratic party.

But let's be honest with ourselves. Judge Sotomayor is citing the constitution as it sits today. Citizens have the right to bear arms. She can't offer an opinion in a case in which, hypothetically speaking, somebody blew off another person's head. Which of us with little or now legal background could make the correct judgement in such a matter? And if some rather mentally unstable person accepts the premise "...its ok to kill someone" wouldn't most of us be concerned about our neighbor shooting us for picking up the paper off their lawn? ...ooops I was only protecting myself. Get a clue people.!

July 15, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. Stacy from Leesburg, VA

Senator Coeburn actually used the word "splainin"? I guess using the English language correctly is not a prerequisite to becoming a Senator. How can we expect our children to learn to speak the English Language when the leaders of this country use the word “splainin” in a Congressional hearing? If he did not use that word but CNN used it in a caption, then shame on CNN for the propagation of poor English to the mass market.

July 15, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. dg houston

there will be no gun rights if this libearl gets in..in fact a lot of rights will be taken away

July 15, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. Beverly in NC

How racist and ignorant can the Republicans be? Yesterday it was Graham from the welfare state of SC being unbelievable crude, condescending, and ignorant. Today it is Coburn using racist language like "splaining" (versus "explaining").

Sotomayor has more intelligence and character than the whole sorry nothing but southern racist Republican Party.

You have already lost the black vote through blatant racism and intolerance and now you have lost the Hispanic vote through your mockery of an outstanding and respected Judge that YOUR Republican President appointed to her current job?

Have you no respect for anything or anyone???

The Republican Party is done. You have destroyed yourselves and failed America at every turn. Here you go again.....

July 15, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. Hugo

Plain and simple, the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution is about an individual citizens right to take up arms against an Oppressive government. The closer our current government gets to meeting the definition of Oppressive, the harder stance they will take on the meaning of is!
    America, beware!

July 15, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  16. GI Joe

I've never understood why hunters need an AK47 –

July 15, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. TOM

as a victim of a home invasion – I firmly believe that we have a right to defend ourselves because I found that the law cannot protect us!

July 15, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  18. Frank

"splainin'" to do???
    Wow.. talk about racism. CNN – clean up your act.

July 15, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. jaye

Give her the position for goodness sake!!!
    She'll be great.

July 15, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  20. RR

in the past, she had ruled the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to the states. That's in contradiction to establshed law for 200 years.

July 15, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  21. TCM

She's still avoiding the question! Do you support the 2nd Amendment, yes or no? She keeps wanting to give all of these
    "if-then," examples....when it's quite clear. She obviously doesn't, but wants to slide by....I'm just waiting until after she's confirmed, and then she comes out of the closet!

July 15, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  22. Hugo Castrobama

So she didn't feel she fit in at an ivy league school? How the heck will she feel when she is the least competent jurist (by an incredibly wide margin) on the Supreme Court?

July 15, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  23. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

who cares..... what are her qualifications? all the rest of this is GOP grandstanding

July 15, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  24. Wyatt

I don't care what she says. Look at her record and you will see her for the anti-constitutional racist that she is. What a joke that she is even being considered. Of course what do you expect from a non-birth certificate having illegitimate president. We are in trouble if this is the best we have to lead our nation. I just hope we can survive until 2012.

July 15, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |