July 15th, 2009

Specter has returned $225K to GOP donors

Sen. Arlen Specter returned $225K to Republican donors after changing his party affiliation in April.

(CNN) – Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter raised more than $1.7 million for the quarter – putting him just ahead of Republican challenger Pat Toomey's $1.6 million – but actually cleared less than a million dollars, thanks in part to $225,000 in refunds to GOP colleagues and constituents after he switched parties in April.

The Pennsylvania senator returned $75,000 to fellow lawmakers in his former party who had donated to his re-election bid, his campaign confirmed Wednesday. The balance, roughly $150,000, was sent back to individual Republican donors who requested refunds.

Republican leaders had urged Specter's GOP constituents to ask for their money back, but a Specter spokesman says the requests have died down considerably since spring. The incumbent, who has the public backing of President Obama and top Democratic officials, still boasts a campaign war chest of around $7.5 million – more than $3 million more than his potential primary challenger, Rep. Joe Sestak.

Filed under: Arlen Specter
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

God move Arlen. Send a clear message that you don't need their money.

July 15, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. Aunt Bea and Opie

How much of the money came from your country in the middle east Spector?You dont represent anyone in this country.

July 15, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Obama=disaster

Just goes to show Democrats will accept any loser to their party. Specter only cares about himself and yet people would give this fool money and then vote for him. Pathetic that Democrats can't find a better candidate than this traitor!

July 15, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. Thomas

Giving the donations back was the honourable thing to do. Well done Senator Specter.

July 15, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. Gary

I don't think that Spector is a traitor to the Republicans because he has always been independent minded.

I DO think he is a traitor to the american people. Signing on to that pork bill that Nancy Pelosi called "stimulus" was wrong, it showed a willingness to mortgage our children's future rather than toughing out a challenging world wide recession. I will vote against Spector for the first time next election. I hope that he has a good retirement plan.

July 15, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Hugo

TRAITOR thru and thru! Goodbye now.... Tata!

July 15, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. Lauren

It lookks like he is ready to sever the ties with the gop. My only wish is that he supports healthcare reform and other things that are important for our society instead of being so concerned about his political future.

Of course he is not alone is being concerned about his political future I think all elected officials are. However, they all need to remember they were elected to do a job and represent the American people and to do what is right for everyone, not just themselves.

July 15, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  8. Mike

One of the biggest reasons people gave for having concerns over John McCain being President was his age.
    And Specter, among others his age, wants to continue to be a Senator.
    This guy looks like he died years ago and his brain just didn't tell his body.

July 15, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  9. Barb

This man is a Joke and should be treated like one.

July 15, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  10. Tom in PA

I for one will be changing my voter registration to Democrat so that I can vote against Benedict Arlen in the primary. I urge all other voters with principled voters to do the same. You go home from the dance with the one that brought you. I will then make a choice between the new Democratic candidate the Republican candidate.

July 15, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  11. DC Insider

As much as I dislike Arlen Spector (he has a history of changing parties to stay in office), I do admire him for doing the right thing and returning the money back to the Republican constituents. To be honest, I think he'll lose to Joe Sestak, so I think his days are numbered. He'll probably move to another State and run again, as whatever will keep him in office.

July 15, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |