July 16th, 2009

Clinton: 'I broke my elbow, not my larynx'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The cast on her elbow is finally off, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton wasted no time Thursday swinging back at media reports that she is being sidelined by the White House in shaping U.S. foreign policy.

At a question-and-answer session at the State Department, Clinton drew a laugh with her quip that "I broke my elbow, not my larynx." She told reporters she is consistently involved both in shaping and implementing policy.

Clinton is beginning a week-long trip to India and Thailand.

She broke her elbow last month, requiring several weeks in a cast as well as hours of physical therapy, and forcing her to cancel two international trips and curtail her public schedule.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Heather

I'm not even much of a Hillary fan, but that statement made me go: "Get it, girl!"

July 16, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. she is a hoot

I think as smart as she is and what a fighter, she would be a good pres

July 16, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. Jon in CA

Yeah... Obama sending Hillary on to those HOT SPOTS... you know.. India and Thailand.

Wouldn't want to trust her with Iran, North Korea, China, Isreal.....

Obama has to be the most narcissistic president ... EVER.

July 16, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  4. johnnie

Thats Right (SECRETARY OF STATE) put them in line... We love you..

July 16, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. Donald, Toronto

It is amazing how quickly people will start thinking that if you are not in the spotlight daily, that it is something that has gone wrong. Many movers and shakers in our world works behind the scene. Anyone can make noise but it is only a few that accomplishes quality results in the various pursuits of life. The race is not for the loudest or swift but for those who will endure to the end. God's blessing to you everyone.

July 16, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  6. Donald Edmond Esq

Quiet folks...the woman who should have been the 44th President of the United States is handling our starry-eyed mainstream media with the ease that comes with being a part of the most successful Democratic presidential legacy since FDR (see Bill Clinton).

July 16, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  7. FEMALES FOR FEMALES

Way to go Hillary 2012. Don't let the fouled up Republican media try to do a number on you. You've been the chip of Bill Clinton I'm sure you can handle them.

July 16, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  8. Pauline

Hillary, I am sorry regarding your accident resulting with a broken bone.
    I wish you a speedy recovery!
    I agree you have not lost your voice, which frankly I greatly appreciate your expressing your thoughtful perspectives that I believe are in all of our best interest.
    Forgive me, but I have, do have some serious concerns regarding Pres. Obama's policies, what gives me some "hope" is that he will take your advise regarding international affairs.
    I wish you the best!

July 16, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. garry pollack

Too bad it wasn't her larynx.

July 16, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. Pauline Romano

Hillary, or perhaps I should "say" Ms. Secreatry of State.
    I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate your abilities and all that you are doing/have done to improve our standing throughout the world.
    I wish you the best and a postive response for all that you do/have done for all of us.
    Please know that I wish you a speedy recovery and continued success with all your endeavers.

July 16, 2009 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  11. Jim in Fllorida

By the start of 2011 Clinton will have resigned as SecState – I really believe she will run for the White House against Obama. By 2011 Obama's socialist bent and tax and spend direction will have caught up with his supposed popularity. It'll be hard to find anyone who voted for Obama by then, much like it was for Carter. Remains to be seen if the GOP can field a candidate who is actually talented enough to run a viable campaign. If not I think another Clinton will occupy the White House – she will have her work cut out for her.

July 16, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  12. RUTY

You go girl. Give'em hell Hillary. You are good and you know it.

July 16, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  13. John

Republicans will take ANY opportunity to knock the Obama administration, whether it is true or not. Are Republicans still trying to garner Hillary supporters? Guess what people, it's not going to work on me.

July 16, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  14. The power be with you

What's with all these Democrats breaking their bones and the Republicans breaking their marriage vows??

July 16, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  15. Gator

Too Bad.

July 16, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  16. ronie patrick

So glad to hear that she is back and doing well. I just love smart women both white and black.

July 16, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  17. European-American

"She broke her elbow last month, requiring several weeks in a cast as well as hours of physical therapy, "
    How in the world did she heal so quickly under the American healthcare system? As bad as the libs make it sound, I'm surprised she didn't get gangrene.

July 16, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  18. S Callahan

lol...gives me a giggle too...good come back SOS Clinton! :-)

July 16, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  19. tess

we should all be so lucky to have her break her larynx – that grateing, harsh and yelling voice is enough to make you want to go deaf!

July 16, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  20. lynn in NM

Evidently it did affect her voice, since it has been nice and quiet from her side. Too bad the elbow has healed.

July 16, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  21. Joanne

Good to hear that you are well enough to get back into the fray. You have been missed!

July 16, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  22. Joanne

Good to hear you are well and ready to get back into it. You have been missed.

July 16, 2009 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  23. 60's survivor

yeah those arm chair politicians keep trying to stir things up because they are so bored with their own GOP party! tell em Hillary. you go girl!! Obama is on track and that has the far right running scared! you betcha.....

July 16, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  24. Guam4Clinton

May guidance and good times be with you Hillary. It is good to know you recovered partially. Continue the hard work. Guam is supportive of you.

July 16, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  25. 4 and the door

It's not about the elbow. It's about actually being qualified to participate meaningfully in foreign policy. Face it, Hillary Clinton is not capable of operating at the level of Condoleeza Rice. I'm sure Obama knew he wasn't hiring a Connie Rice...he was mending fences.

July 16, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |