July 16th, 2009

Romney PAC raises $1.6M in six months

Mitt Romney's Free and Strong America PAC announced Thursday that it has raised $1.6 million during the first six months of this year.

(CNN) - Former Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has bested fellow Republican Gov. Sarah Palin in the fundraising race in the first half of the year, a very early indicator of potential strength in the 2012 GOP presidential race.

Romney's Free and Strong America PAC raised $1.6 million in the first six months of this year, according to a statement released by the political action committee Thursday. (updated Thursday: a Romney aide has provided CNN with a total number of donors, both itemized and unitemized, for the first half of the year.)

Romney's take is more than twice the roughly $730,000 raised in the same period by Palin's SarahPAC - but the Alaska governor's political action committee has pulled in an additional $200,000 since she announced July 3 that she would be leaving office by the end of the month. Romney and Palin each received funds from more than 11,000 contributors.

Romney's PAC had roughly $841,000 in cash on hand as of June 30. It said Thursday it had contributed about $36,000 to federal candidates and political action committees and nearly another $27,000 to state candidates.

Romney's PAC contributed $5000 each to South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint, Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, Missouri Rep. Roy Blunt, and to Jim Tedisco, who mounted an unsuccessful bid in New York's 20th Congressional District during a special election earlier this year. The PAC also contributed $1000 each to a group of Republicans who were targeted in a Democratic ad campaign because of their opposition to the $787 stimulus bill passed soon after President Obama took office.

Romney's PAC contributed to four Republicans in Virginia running for state offices, as well as to Chris Christie who is running against New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine in 2010.

The New Hampshire affiliate of Romney's federal PAC also contributed $10,000 to the New Hampshire Republican Party, according to Thursday's statement.

(updated to reflect additional information from the Romney team)

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. T

Both are losers

July 16, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. Sally

Don't team up with Palin. She is not a good candidate. She is a quitter!

July 16, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. yuri

The rampant and ravagin' Romney is rapidly becomin' a force to reckon with. He, among others, is one of a few decent GOPs, as our opinion goes. But he does utter uttrely ugly statements from time to time, but he will self-correct, we are sure.

July 16, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Dr. Sam

He is a loser and will never be President. He made his money closing companies and laying people off. And he is prevaricator: you never know what he thinks or believes because he speaks from the both sides of his mouth. Lets I forget, he is an inhuman absraction who thinks only the interest of the rich.

July 16, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. cecilia

to Dave the truth teller – I am past being angry at the racist remarks – your comparison of Obama and liberals is a direct referral to the hate filled racist comparison of blacks to monkeys.

this is a dangerous and hateful attitude. If you have something to say perhaps you could use you big boy voice, refer to a dictionary and attempt an intelligent statement.

we liberals do not think President Obama is God, we do not worship him. We do believe that for the first time in a long time we have an intelligent Administration in place.

I am sure your assumption would be that I am probably African America but I am a white 67 year old grandmother who has lived through too much pain and suffering, racism, skin heads and fools to keep quiet. Read a history book and try to learn something

July 16, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Donkey Party

I don't want a right-wing religious zealot running my country. If I wanted that, I'd move to Iran. There is no place for religion in politics, with the one exception being the Pope.

July 16, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. steph

Thank god these two are considered as the 2 GOP presidential frontrunners for 2012. Romney got slaughtered by McCain, and McCain got slaughtered by Obama. And Palin is just a running joke. This almost guarantees a s second term for Obama.

July 16, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. Edward

Bobby Jindal will be the nominee. Catholics in America will finally have a candidate they can truly support, and fiscal conservatives will love him.

July 16, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. kelly

With the pack of dunderheads currently in charge, I'll vote for any sensible person, regardless of their party affiliation.

July 16, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. sharon davis

The reason Romney has such few people giving money is because it,s the mormons giving the money. They will do anything to get a mormon in office!

July 16, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. Uncle Fester

Anything would be better than the administation we have now. Obama can't even throw a baseball!! I would like CNN to have a poll " If you voted for Obama and you know what you know today would you take back your vote? No doubt his approval ratings are slipping!

July 16, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  12. Bruce Turner

Romney needs to fight back and counter with the intelligence we know he has.
    His affiliation with the Mormon's is holding him back.
    As much as I like the man, I can't see Romney as having a good chance of being our next president without making some changes in his personal style.

July 16, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. Oh GIve Me A Break

Who gives a flying flip about Mitt Romney? CNN, please topic on folks who are relevant.

July 16, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  14. Jackson

eh that isn't really a lot these days.

July 16, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  15. LeRoy, New York City

I've got a million I'm going to give to the GOP, however after Obama is through with taxing me, now I'll only have $400,000.

I will split it between Mitt and Sarah. They both are good candidates.

July 16, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  16. Candy West Virginia

phoenix86 – Seriously, what planet were you on during the last 8 horrific years?

July 16, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  17. Tom Paine

Either Romney or Palin are better choices than Obama....anything to get him out of DC.

July 16, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. John

I'm not a big fan of Romney, but I'd take him as president before Palin, no doubt of that.

At least he finished his gubernatorial terms.

July 16, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  19. Karl in SLC

@GOP = Party of Tolerance

I was going to address you comment, but the when I saw your name I spent the last 5 minutes LMAO.

Now I forgot what I was going to say.

July 16, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. Uncle Fester

Everybody in here knocks Palins intelligence but how many people in here are smart enough to be governor and run a state? I can see by some of the stupid comments in here there are a few that could be a cummunity organizer.

July 16, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. lil bucca

Anyone who thinks Gov Romney would not make an ideal President only has to listen to his concession speech from last year's campaign. You will find ideas and programs to return this country back to greatness and fiscal responsibility. Gov Palin would make a excellant partner on the ticket. She would be a better Vice President than Hillary Clinton has been as first lady, Senator, potential President and now Secretary of State. Hillary is a gold-digger who will grab anyone's coattails that can help her self-serving ego.

July 16, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

So Ken is beat Caribou Barbie in fundraising? Big deal!

July 16, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. John

In this corner, representing corporate east coast Republicans, the only Republican in the field who might win a general election, Mitt Romney! And in this other corner, representing fundamentalist evangelical Christians and anti-intellectuals, the Alaskan Avalanche, always surprising and unpredictable, Sarah Palin!

Ready... fight!

I actually don't mind that idea somebody had of Romney in 2016. He'd be better then Biden or Clinton, no doubt about it.

July 16, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  24. DaBird

The CBO just reported that there will be a 44% tax increase to balance the budget in 2020. Quit blaming Bush and Obama and realize that Congress is hurting all of us. Vote them all out in 2010 and 2012.

July 16, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. Robin

@Annie, Atlanta July 16th, 2009 12:22 pm ET

To Soccer mom in NC – Sarah Palin may be just like you and me, but I don't think we want to see either of us running this country. Just saying.
    =====================================================

Why can't a woman run the country? We have been balancing budgets for ages. Not to mention running our households AND our businesses with great success. Do not insult woman by implying we are not capable.

Or are you one of those liberals that lives on entitlements? Just asking.

July 16, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |