July 18th, 2009

Obama political team turns its sights on House Dems

OFA's spot targets fellow Democrats and centrist Republicans.
OFA's spot targets fellow Democrats and centrist Republicans.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama’s political team is expanding its ad buy pressuring lawmakers to support the administration’s health care plan, adding 15 more markets as the president’s August target date for congressional passage of the package nears.

The 30-second TV ad from Organizing for America, the president’s political arm at the Democratic National Committee, is already airing in eight states - Arkansas, Indiana, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Ohio – represented by moderate Republican and conservative Democratic senators the White House needs on board for any vote on the massive health care overhaul.

"It's Time" will now begin airing in the Savannah, Palm Springs, Seattle, Nashville, Bloomington, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Little Rock, Columbus, Marquette, Grand Rapids and Medford media markets, according to the DNC – all areas within districts represented by members of Congress who are viewed as swing votes on a key committee weighing the president’s plan. Four-fifths of those lawmakers are Democrats.

The ad - which features ordinary Americans relating health insurance difficulties they’ve faced - does not mention legislators by name, but does ask viewers to call Capitol Hill, and provides the telephone number for the U.S. Capitol switchboard.

Filed under: Health care • OFA
  1. 30-second tv ad.....

Pennsylvania withholding July pay, California paying with IOU"S and more States will join the we cannot pay you....Does this sound like the country can afford anything at all least Obamas' healthcare ????

July 18, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  2. M Paul

I lost my job as computer programmer and can't afford COBRA. I tried to shop around and believe me, the major insurance companies are asking $800 -$1,500 /mo for my family. Let be competition with government and let be health insurace for every taxpayer out there. Why members of Congress don't want people like me to be covered after they have spent all my contributions in Irak? Why are we spending $12B in Irak every month and complaining about the price tag of "healthcare for everybody". Stop hypocrisy. We all need to live..They voted against insurance for children last time and voted to fund the wrong war in Irak. Pro-life that can't protect children ?

Chantilly, Virginia

July 18, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Tom Ryker

God Bless those Democrats that have the common sense and courage to stand up to the administrations bullying! They are to be commended.

July 18, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  4. Peter

Can anyone here logically explain to me why Mr. Obama is so totally trying to jamb this health bill down our throats?? Being an x-govt employee, this process can years, being of this magnitude.

Why all the arm-twisting? Is there an earmark to his bill that would eliminate two-term office limits or something?

I don't understand?

July 18, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. texas girl

Thuggery, continued.

July 18, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. RR

Obama doesn't need one sinlge GOP vote. There are enough democrats to pass anything without fear of a filibuster, so why are his followers still blaming the GOP for being obstructionists?

Stop with the mad rush to get something passed. We made this mistake with with wall st bailout and stimulus.

No bill is better than a bad bill.

July 18, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  7. raul cruz

This is simply awful. There is something to be said for checks and balances and a balance of power. Honestly I voted for Obama but he is scaring the hell outta me. At the very least do not rush something like this and if we don't have the money to pay for this right now, then we don't do it right now

July 18, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  8. ib

If any of my congressmen or senators vote for this bill I will vote against them in the next election period. This thing needs to be DOA.

July 18, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. Fan of Common Sense

It's nice to see that some democrats are getting their backbones and common sense back and questioning this stuff.

July 18, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. Memphis Tiger

Why is the taxpayers money being spent for commercials for something no one wants to begin with?

July 18, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  11. democrat no mas

These are the same tactics that car salesmen use to pressure you to buy a car before the end of the month discount goes away forever. The truth surfacing here is ugly, and that is that healthcare reform hasn't been thought out carefully enough to insure that it works for the average, middle class American.

July 18, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. Jacob

I'm a 28 year old Army veteran who has since worked seven years at a small business. My wife is 30 my son is 5, we are all healthy, no preexisting conditions, no smoking, not overweight and my employer's family plan costs in excess of $700 per month. I make over 70k per year but I still cannot afford this, and own a house. The time for health care reform is now, don't kid yourself.

July 18, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. An American

Oh yeah, the Chicago Thugs now living in the White House will harrass the Dems that don't agree with their communist beliefs. This healthcare bill is an absolute disaster and the quicker the American citizens open their eyes to this, the quicker we can maybe knoch some sense into the Main Thug.

July 18, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. voter

Obama needs to stop this nonsense campaigning. He was elected to get the job done, and instead, he asks the middle class for donations for his campaign for health care, something not too popular even among those who like myself, voted for Obama. Reform is needed, yes, but Obama's plan is NOT reform. It is expense, tax, and little in the way of reform. I hope Obama does not get re-elected in 2012, I know I won't vote for him again. I also hope 2010 is like 1994, when the AMerican people spoke loud and clear against the Clinton's national healthcare plan.

I know CNN won't post this, since it is against Obama. Why CNN? Why do you continue to support a president that is failing this country?

July 18, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. barrystash

The Marxists are in a full scale riot. Mr. Obama however is going to destroy his administration by emulating the thuggish tactics of Hugo Chavez.

July 18, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. GI Joe

Insurance premiums going up another 25 to 30% next year? TUFF.

You don't want affordable healthcare? Pay the premiums - and the higher deductibles.

Insurance Companies and Drug Companies spend money on TV Ads. Count the number of ads.

THEY PROFIT from the ignorance of those that buy their products.

July 18, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  17. barrystash

wlou437 – Most of those people could afford to pay something. But they are HD tvs, new cars, cable, vacations a Disney World every year, etc. etc. I have none of these and I pay all my bills with some left over. Communism has never worked anywhere on this planet, except at the end of a gun barrel.

July 18, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  18. Johnny

Oh please, advertising doesn't make someone a thug. Health care needs change, few in their right mind would argue that we need to leave it as is. Yeah, it's scary to try something new but we gotta try it sooner or later, why not now?

July 18, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. voter

Johnny: no one disagrees that healthcare needs reform, but Obama's plan is NOT reform. Remember 1994? The country spoke against a national healthcare proposal that did NOT REFORM but would have increased taxes and lower the standard of care for most. Obama needs to slow down and come up with good ideas, rather than just talk, campaign and continue to request donations from people like you and me.... I won't give him a cent again, and I will not vote for him again.

July 18, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. republicans hate america

this is why democrats always have half this country thinking they are a joke. they have an opportunity to do the right thing and yet they whimp out to placate the Rush Limbaugh Party. if they loses seats its all their doing.

July 18, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  21. GI Joe

I don't even read the comments when I see people are calling other people or groups of people derogatory names. Ignorant people have limited vocabulary and try to control by loudness or crudeness.

Just saying ....................................................................

July 18, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  22. Ken, Arizona

Did any of you folks think for a minute that there would be no cost or pain required to achieve reform. You've been getting a free ride for a very long time and now it's time to pay the piper. The problems facing Americans cannot be fixed without incurring some costs and some pain. Doing nothing is going to cost a lot more and will be a lot more painful. We can't keep kicking these cans down the road, especially now that we have a real leader with the fortitude to do something about them.

July 18, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  23. E.C.Coleman

obama is nothing but a hot-tempered dictator seeking more power and government control.

obama, go to your Home Land, the place of your birth, and be a do-gooder-socialist- dictator.

Oh, yes, and don't forget to bring your Kenyan Birth Certificate, the REAL ONE, before you return!

You people out there who elected this loser should be 'getting it by now..........'

July 18, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  24. katiec

What is disgusting and unAmerican is that the house of representatives, which makes crucial decisions for us, have many
    politicians who allow communication, comments only from their
    districts. They make important decisions for our whole country yet
    are unwilling to let us contact them about their actions.
    WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE, AND WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED
    SUCH CLOSED DOOR POLITICS????

July 18, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  25. a Republican

"Want more time". How much time do you need to come to a simple required and needed decision? This time business is a COP OUT. There's been a lot of time, years and years since Hilary first introduced the first medical bill. Come on now,
    Ron, get with it, or be prepared to lose the respect of the people who voted you in. The Pharmacitical companies have no vote.

July 18, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |