July 19th, 2009

Chair of S.C. Dems responds to Sanford's Op-ed

Carol Fowler, Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party, issued the following statement about the Gov. Mark Sanford's Op-ed:

"Mark Sanford's vague apology in Sunday's papers is fine as far as it goes, but he doesn't say what he's apologizing for. Turning his back on the people of SC? Abandoning his family? Dumping his responsibilities for weeks? Or 6 1/2 years of ignoring our public schools and the children in them? When my children were small and had to say they were sorry I always made them specify what the apology was for, to be sure they knew. Does Governor Sanford know?"

Filed under: Mark Sanford • South Carolina
  1. Susan (Michigan)

I know. He's sorry he got caught!

July 19, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. Denna

Please. He is hoping that his "I'm Sorry's will somehow make this all go away. What a child this man is. Congratualtions S.C. for voting for this nut. But what the heck, he's a Republican and I'm sure that is all that really mattered.

July 19, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. DawnL,CA

Ms. Fowler- he is only sorry he got caught. Please do the right thing & get rid of this loser.

July 19, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. dave

shouldn't larry craig and mark foley be defending this guy?

July 19, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  5. dave

But Sanford wrote that he has been "humbled and broken as never before," and has "given up areas of control."

we do not need any humbled and broken governors

July 19, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  6. Ken in Gainesville

The chairman is correct. The school system in South Carolina is a laughing stock. I could not imagine how bad it was until I started hearing about performance levels. I have rarely been to a place where ignorance was so celebrated by the common person. "Don't want no college perfessors teaching us about science and history!" I have granddaughter living in Myrtle Beach, and I can't bear to think how far she is behind in her education. No wonder SC can't compete for jobs with high-tech industries. Too bad the gov is so worried about taking the feds money (and duping the people). Maybe if he learned some critical thinking along the way he would not be in the mess he is. I know some good people in SC, but the vast majority need to get a grip, study, and stop whining about the federal/foreign boogeymen.

July 19, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  7. Ernesto

I think Sanford should have to admit his "sins of office" rather than deal with his cheating on his wife. I'd like to know if he was on vacation on the taxpayer dime and if he is simply incompetant about disappearing into thin air. I doubt any corporation would put up with this absence or misuse of company funds.

His avoiding talking about what he is sorry for is basically dishonest. I agree with Carol Fowler.

July 19, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  8. GI Joe

If he tells the truth, he'll say he's sorry he got caught

Ask his fellow political cohorts at C-Street -- Ensign from Nevada, the guy from Oklahoma, etc.

July 19, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. AncientRiver, New Mexico

Repugs are so concerned about the "empathy" of Sotomayor, who has led a very circumspect life. And yet they ask us to "empathize" with and forgive a man whio tosses aside his duties to fly to argentina for "love", while married to another woman. By their own standards, we must reject Mark Standfard and require justice and not mercy, which requires him to step down. Repugs demand empathy just fine when it suits THEM apparently..

July 19, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. Lara

Exactly what WAS Sanford apologizing for? Going AWOL using state funds? Dereliction of duty? Repeatedly lying to the state and his family? Grandstanding against stimulus funds to further his own political aspirations – but at the expense of 7000 teachers jobs and many thousands of state workers' jobs? Ensuring that SC comes in last in the nation in education every year he was in office? Ignoring the corridor of shame?

July 19, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  11. Franky, Land of Lincoln

Boy, he's calling him out! LOL!!! :)

But for real, he should slow it down. Is news no matter what, just work and don't even talk about it but it also doesn't help when his peeps leave him out.

July 19, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  12. renea

Their is nothing wrong with him apoligizing as long as he mean. At least he did admitted it. But now what are you going to do Mark sanford?

July 19, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. William

I've known Mark Sandford for years - ever since he was a Congressman and both Fritz Hollings and Strom Thurmond had to occasionally spank him for putting his political ambitions before the needs of the People of S.C. He's not the brightest guy in the world. But I assumed he was smart enough to understand that his political career is over. He needs to step down and "go into rehab" like a good little Republican.

July 19, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  14. Chris W

I'm not sure what Mark Sanford has apologized for but he really wanted to write us all a hand written note or to call in person for whatever it was and that, I love. He realizes this is GOD'S Big Plan too. I think the Lord has forced Mark to realize, we the people's NEED of being lied to and patronized, is his actual "soul mate". He is a wonderful Southern politician and my Tammy Fay mascara is running down my face as I cry writing this, thinking about how all you homosexual liberals are using his trials from Jesus to destroy our REAL America by actually trying to investigate if he used taxpayer money to take flights. Despite the fact that taking flights creates jobs for American stewardists, who could also be part of God's plan for Mark to bed. This is the kind of stimulus we all deserve.

July 19, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Rosebud

I have to admit that Sanford for the first time in his life, is in love. Some politicians get married to women, sometimes, who are financially connected, or these women are very smart,and they are, in my opinion, used by these men to get ahead. They start families, because this is the political thing to do, I don't believe being in love with the women ever enters the picture, until they meet someone who really shows them a different perspective on life and how it can be enjoyed. Then the realization sets in that they have spent a lot of time in marriages that are not fulfilling. This poor man is in the throws of a nervous breakdown, and he will never be the same again, no matter how many vacations he and his wife have, together.

July 19, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. ephraim

also, the op-ed shows further an extraordinary lack of healthy boundaries, which is common in narcissists. he is speaking in the royal "me" to the global we of people of the state of s.c. and the entire country, and in ways that are instantly intimate and creepy. i think in the end its always the hypocrisy that grosses people out. the republicans really need to
    get him to stop, its scary

July 19, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

@Fair is Fair
    Contrary to what you may believe, I use one nom de plume – and that would be "Fair is Fair".

-------------

Please read your earlier threads, re: Kathleen Sebelius at 11:44 & 11:47.

July 19, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. enlighteningup

has this guy had a psych exam yet? every time he opens his mouth, he makes it worse for the state, his wife and children, and the future women who will one day meet his sons.

July 19, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  19. Marchant

Falling in love with a soul mate is fine with me. But he has responsibilities of the state, family and the governing party affiliation. He can't just ranaway without informing to the state is a grave mistake...there is no excuse for that. He has to step down and marry his soul mate and lead a happy life...sometimes we have to take a different path to have true happiness. ..but not at the cost of draining the state in many ways...please step down immediately, then the state can recover with a strong trusted leader. Mark mSanford is not a strong leader to cling to his power.

July 19, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  20. Bill Sampson

He's talking about God, again. Watch out. Something is up (no pun intended).

July 19, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  21. Mike b

The people of South Carolina should be ashamed of themselves for continually voting this clown in office, he has done nothing to improve the state.

July 19, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  22. Andy

Basically, between the lines, Sanford has admitted that his perverted addiction to nasty, ungodly behavior and sexual perversion has caused him to disregard the welfare of citizens of the state including the uninsured and unemployed, as well as his own kids and wife. He needs professional help with his uncontrollable habits and then should quit.

July 19, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  23. Pony

somebody really needs to tell this guy to stop giving press conferences.

July 19, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  24. yuri

Sanford ain't gonna win more hearts by repeatedly apologizin' for his salacious saga in Argentina. This scumbag is a hypocrite who gunned for Clinton's blood during the latter's impeachment trial.

July 19, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  25. Mario, mtl, ca.

Please doctor don't look at his feet,,,,,,

July 19, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |