July 20th, 2009
  1. Jimmy the Greek

LISTEN UP PEOPLE.....

The cost of the CURRENT Bail-out (Stimulus, GM, AIG, TARP, etc) is going to cost the US Government more than $23 T-R-I-L-L-I-O-N.

That is MORE money than was spent on ALL THE WARS put together!

If you gave away $1 Million/day – every day – going back to Jesus Christ... it would (literally) cost less than what is being spent today.

WE ARE BANKRUPTING not only our generation but FUTURE generations.

We CAN NOT AFFORD the pipe-dreams of this administration!!

July 20, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  2. Henry Miller

@Peter C.

The Republicans aren't the only ones out of ideas. The only thing that it ever occurs to Democrats to do is "tax the rich" and try to turn government into some sort of enormous, intrusive, bureaucratic, supernanny.

The truth of the matter is that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have the faintest idea how to "fix" health care, but at least the Republicans are bright enough to realise that if you don't know what to do, maybe doing nothing is the right thing to do. At least they're not making things worse like the Dems seem to be determined to do, ruining American health care–which actually works pretty well for 80% of the population–raising taxes, and making inflation worse.

July 20, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. EC

Congress should share the wealth, give the masses the same type of health care package they and their families enjoy as well as the same type of retirement package they have, after all it is all paid for by our tax dollars. Failing to do so, the American people should demand recall in every state and vote all who vote against health care out of office. What makes members of Congress and their families more important than the rest of us. Give the working class something, the stimulus was for the rich and now banks report obscene profits. Wake up America.

July 20, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  4. AMZ

annie s ...I am sorry you are paying that much for your deductible. I too am self employed and know of what you speak. This weekend I read the whole 1018 proposal and guess what around page 200 I found out we will still be privileged to have that $5000 per person deductible $10000. per family. I urge you to go and read the entire proposal I urge every American to do so educate yourself and decide if as written this is for you and your family or if our elected Americans need to keep on working at it. Oh I was able to down load the copy on the ways and means site...warning make lots of coffee!!! Blessing to all my fellow Americans, and remember we are a strong of survivors and it is not how we fall but how we rise that defines us...we have reached a defining moment.

July 20, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. seebofubar

READ CAREFULLY
    This plan makes it illegal for private health insurance companies to write new policies if this thing gets passed. If you switch jobs and your new employer does not have the same plan as your previous employer, you are stuck with the sub-standard government plan. It will within a few years bankrupt the private healthcare system 9the best in the world). Eventually everyone will have the government plan, the government will have control over who gets life saving treatment or not. What if a spitefull republican is elected in the future. If you are an outspoken democrat, you just may not get that prostate caancer surgery that you need. Understand?

July 20, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Henry Miller

@annie s: "We support the President's plan 100%. My husband and I just received an increase in our insurance plan – $18000 per year to have a $5000 deductible per person."

Oh, gee, I wonder what the connection is between you supporting Obamacare and your insurance premium... It couldn't be that you want the rest of us to pay that premium for you, could it? You couldn't be that selfish, could you? To take money away from my kids, and seriously damage the quality of health care they'll get throughout their lives, to pay your bills?

July 20, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  7. tonyt

Could someone name one country that has socialized medicine that wants to replace it with an American-style for-profit system

July 20, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  8. Hugo

Aunt Bea and Dopie-Wow, you sound like a real fascist. You know what happens to fascists don't you, Moussolini was a fascist and a real swinger!? Who is this We you keep talking about getting private citizens account numbers and taking their money, ever read the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

This health care plan is a disaster to the American people, why don't you ask yourself why no one in DC has proposed regulation over the legal profession in the form of tort law reform or maybe take a closer look at the applying anti-trust laws to the insurance industry? Hmmmmmm, you might have to think or read something for yourself then.

July 20, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  9. Moderate Democrat

We need a plan that does not allow our Insurance providers to sentence people to death. I will gladly take a $10k deductible rather then a deductible of "LIFE" itself.

If the republicans can come forth with a proposal, and not use any words associated, related, or similar to "Tax cuts for rich people", then we can listen. but if it's a predictable "Give rich people their money, and let's 'hope' it trickles down...in the meantime, let people die under the current system...who cares, they are poor", then bug off.

We need reform, and we need it now! It's broken! Stalling and/or giving rich people money won't fix it.

July 20, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. nicole fili

I have no objections on taxing the rich for the health care. I used to have an incorporation and there are so many ways for not paying taxes and I know the ones making over $500,00/yr do not pay much taxes at all compared so one making $50,000/yr. Its not fair at all that the CEOs and large companies dont pay taxes. Its time they do and share with the poor. I was born in Canada, I was part of that health care and it is so good. Its not true that people wait all those months for treatment.. The way they have it set up is more urgent care comes first. If you are not dying you can wait a bit. If you have money you can pay for additional insurance to get a private room in the hospital. I recently paid $36. Canadian to see an orthopedic specialist in Montreal. I did not have to wait to see him and he appologized for charging me so high.. wow here it cost me $1,500. without being touched. I was 45 min with the Canadian doctor. comparred to 5 min in the USA. Time to wake up and get good healthcare.

July 20, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. Voter

Michelle Obama and her daughters should be the first ones to "test" Obama's plan.... after a few years, if they are happy with it, then we can apply it to the rest of the nation....but I doubt it... it is such an awful plan that no one wants it! Let's see the Obamas on it for a few years, then we talk again.... oh yeah, and Pelosi and her family too!

July 20, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. Bob in Pa

Peter C.
    I'm independent and I have an alternative. It's called "Pay your own way" !

July 20, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  13. Melissa

Wow, amazing how many Republicans take the exception as the rule.

Look, the majority of people in this country don't have insurance, not because they don't want to, or because they want to spend the money on something like a vacation... they don't have it because of the insanely high costs for worse care than in socialized medicine countries.

Stop playing these stupid selfish self-centered games.

For all that you people claim to be the morally superior party, you sure don't act like it. You'd rather people die than give them health care, you'd rather people starve than give them food, and you'd rather cheat on your wife while stealing tax payers money to go to a foreign country to do it than remain faithful and stay at home doing your job.

Enough is enough. This behavior is unacceptable.

Democrats may not be great with money, but they sure are better at everything else than the Republicans. When all you have as your claim to fame is making more money, you have nothing at all.

July 20, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |