July 21st, 2009

Hoyer: House could leave without health care vote

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer signaled Tuesday that the House could leave for its August recess before it votes on health care reform.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer signaled Tuesday that the House of Representatives could leave for its month-long break in August without voting on health care reform.

"If we can get consensus, we're going to move. If we can't get consensus we're going to continue to work on creating consensus," Hoyer told reporters.

He added that he doesn't think it is "necessarily necessary" for the House to stay in session into August to continue working on health care legislation.

His words were in contrast to those of Rep. Henry Waxman a week ago, when House Democrats unveiled their version of the health care bill before sending it to three committees for consideration. "We quite frankly cannot go home for a recess," said Waxman, chairman of one of those committees, "unless the House and Senate both pass bills to reform and restructure our health care system."

Hoyer said Democrats still want to pass a bill next week and will continue to discuss changes to the proposal. "We'll see," he said. "I'll make that decision next week, I'm not going to make it now."

The majority leader also conceded that concerns about the current House bill are not limited to a group of conservative "Blue Dog" Democrats who have publicly stated their opposition to the bill.

"It's not just Blue Dogs. I want to make it very clear - progressives, Blue Dogs and everybody in between has expressed concerns, and we're working on that," Hoyer said.

– CNN's Lisa Desjardins contributed to this report.

Filed under: Health care • Steny Hoyer
  1. John

To All Those Who Say State Provided Health Care is Socialism:

1. When State Provides Social Security, is it not Socialism?
    2. When State Provides Free Education, is it not Socialism?
    3. When State Provides Unemployment Benefits, is it not Socialism?
    4. When State Provides Minimum Wage Laws, is it not Socialism?

In any case there is a difference between Socialism and Welfare States. Even Democratic Countries are Welfare States, like UK.

By the way Capitalism is not working in America. We need to have a Welfare State. Capitalism in America has become a Heaven for Scoundrels, Crooks, Rascals and Criminals. Bernard Madoff is the Scammer who Duped hundreds. Wall Street Swindled thousands and paid bonus to Executives out of Bailout Money. Bank of America Executives took Private Jet Rides out of Bail Out Money. Private Lenders Defrauded Subprime Borrowers into Adjustable Loan and made huge profits.

July 21, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Save America

Beware America. obama only wants to CONTROL American health care to give him more control over the American people.

July 21, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. LacrosseMom

The FACT is that 95% of Americans are ONE illness away from bankruptcy!

The FACT is that the #1 reason an American files for bankruptcy is the cost of healthcare!

The FACT is that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, millions of people are sick and dying because they have no healthcare! And those are U.S. CITIZENS!

It is hypocritical to claim to be Christian and "pro-life" and want to deny your fellow HUMAN BEINGS HEALTHCARE!

July 21, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. SuzyQ

Congress needs to leave healthcare to the medical and business sectors, not the government. Obama recently stated in public that often the elderly don't need "real treatment," that pain meds make more sense financially. I've worked in this country for 40+ years–if I need a knee or hip replacement, I want it. I have health insurance and deserve treatment if my doctor believes I need it. I don't want to be living on pain meds because Obama wants health insurance for illegals and deadbeats.

July 21, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. Chris D.

Alan July 21st, 2009 4:48 pm ET

The only health care plan our fickle electorate will "approve of" is one that pays for everything and charges nothing.

I applaud Obama for placing our long term interest over short term politics.
    --------------------------------
    I agree w/ you 110%.........This bill is needed! I'm not rich and I'm not scared of being taxed for something that will benefit all of us!!!! That's why Cali is in the shape they are in....all give to the people, no taxes back.............
    Enough already w/ the fearmongering over taxes.......did anyone ever go back and look at the 40's, 50's, and 60's and see what the tax rate was? We still grew!!!!

July 21, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  6. william thurston

Would any of you libs out there who really want this government health plan please name me one country where it works. I lived in England, Japan, Germany, and Turkey, and believe me, you don't want it. Rationing and 50% tax hikes is what you will get. If you haven't lived it like I did, then don't write about it.

July 21, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  7. ib

Ther is a difference between health care reform and Obama gov. controll health care. Anyone in my area that votes for this bill I will gladly vote against them in the next election. This bill should not have seen the light of day. I'm in my mid 60's and still working due to health ins. but I am dead set against this thing. I would rather work until I die then see something like this pass.

July 21, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. Sid Everett

Best go on home for a while and think this thing over long and hard because you are about to bankrupt the country and the country will blame democrats for this one, not BUSH.

July 21, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |