July 21st, 2009

'I'm a little frumpy,' Obama says

President Obama responded to criticism of his jeans with a simple explanation: 'Those jeans are comfortable.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even one of the most powerful men in the world has to answer to the fashion police.

President Barack Obama found himself in just that situation in an interview that aired Tuesday on NBC.

Asked about criticism of the jeans he wore recently when he threw out the first pitch last week at the Major League Baseball All-Star game, Obama didn't make any excuses.

"Michelle – she looks fabulous," the president said of his wife who has increasingly become a global fashion super star since Election Day.

"I'm a little frumpy," Obama said of himself by comparison.

The president also offered some insights into his self-admitted lack of sartorial expertise.

"Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits," the commander-in-chief said.

"I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable. And for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I'm sorry. I'm not the guy," Obama added.

Obama's jeans choice for his all-star game appearance were widely panned by fashion critics and even dubbed "mom jeans."

Related video: Jeanne Moos takes on Obama's 'mom jeans'

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Chai-wallah

Who cares what he wears; he is a man and that does not mean he should show and wear the latest fashion.

Anyone who does not like what I wear is too bad; it's my choice. Don't like it? look some where else.

July 21, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. Joseph, Los Angeles

Finally we have a President, again, who cares about we American people. I am taken aback when I see, hear, and read, all the negativity thrown at him. I hope this country does not follow the Limbaugh Doctrine; wanting this president to "fail." It seems that a lot of Americans have gotten on that band-wagon, again... like we were bambozeled to do for 8 years. Wake up America; you are falling asleep again... we are responding to the jeans a president is wearing. How petty as a country we have become? Very petty.

July 21, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. Shirley C

I am a Canadian. So impressed with your president. I too think he's so down to earth but he has things on the ball when he's at work. He would of looked so stupid if he wore a suit to a baseball game. :( . You have one of the grestest guys in office .. support him, give him your prayers and his family, stop brow beating him

July 21, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  4. Josh in Rochester, MN

Anne said:
    President Obama IS "one of us."

-Sorry Anne, he wants you to believe he is "one of us". NO politician is "one of us". They are all greedy liars. They are all elitests. Don't be fooled.

Everyone needs to take a step back and realize that ALL politicians don't have our best interests in mind. They have only their's. It is a survival mentality and the only way to survive is to pander to special interests and the Washington subculture.

Something needs to be done about ths. Elections are not working.

July 21, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. Osama B Laden

Worse than his clothes... he throws like a young taliban girl.

I saw on Al-Jazera TV he couldn't get the ball to the white plate. This is your powerful leader??

I laugh loudly.

July 21, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. John

Ok..they were a bit short in the inseam, but dang Mr. President does have some booty on him....first time I've ever EVER wanted to watch an American president walk away so I can check out his backside. Gotta love Obama for a gazillion reasons; this is just one more!! Go OBAMA!

July 21, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. Jonathan Burton

I am not really that interested in my President's fashion sense.
    More so I am interested in whether he is paying attention to the needs of the country.
    For that I think that he is doing just fine.

July 21, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. Independent for Obama

He is kind of skinny and geeky in a Jimmy Walker kind-of-way.

July 21, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. CJ

I did not even notice what he was wearing....some people have a whole lot of time to do nothing but be critical , but come on be critical of policies , something that makes sense....this is past riduculous.

Personally I think he always looks well put together, he wears clothes well . I think he is doing a great job of representing our country to the world by his attire and by his intelligence.

July 21, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Quincy Stingley, Schweinfurt, Germany

From North – South and East – West, less not worry about the President dress but from House to the Senate and the President Desk lets vote for Healthcare so all can rest.

God Bless our NATION !

July 21, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. jaye

I think our president is beautiful no matter what he wears.
    So, why the big deal on his baseball clothes? Who really cares what he wears long as it isn't a speedo. LOL
    Off topic – Tyler Perry is a HERO!!!!

July 21, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. bzeon7

This is a great man!! And for you people out there talking about him you need to remember that what goes arouund comes right back to you! ya'll need to leave Our President alone

July 21, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |