July 21st, 2009

'I'm a little frumpy,' Obama says

President Obama responded to criticism of his jeans with a simple explanation: 'Those jeans are comfortable.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even one of the most powerful men in the world has to answer to the fashion police.

President Barack Obama found himself in just that situation in an interview that aired Tuesday on NBC.

Asked about criticism of the jeans he wore recently when he threw out the first pitch last week at the Major League Baseball All-Star game, Obama didn't make any excuses.

"Michelle – she looks fabulous," the president said of his wife who has increasingly become a global fashion super star since Election Day.

"I'm a little frumpy," Obama said of himself by comparison.

The president also offered some insights into his self-admitted lack of sartorial expertise.

"Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits," the commander-in-chief said.

"I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable. And for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I'm sorry. I'm not the guy," Obama added.

Obama's jeans choice for his all-star game appearance were widely panned by fashion critics and even dubbed "mom jeans."

Related video: Jeanne Moos takes on Obama's 'mom jeans'

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. gt

he is a little squrriely...........

July 21, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  2. Pepou

He is fabulously handsome. And I love his style.

July 21, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  3. Waiting for 2010

This belongs in the celebrity section!! Another waste of space, when there is so much "news" that we would expect a news channel to post.

July 21, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  4. Nelson Colorado Springs Co.

Mr President Obama be yourself, forget the fashion critics. If those jeans are comfortable wear them. There are more things to talk about like health care.

July 21, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  5. Expat American

That's a funny article. President Obama has a good sense of humor even if his jeans didn’t cost $150,000 at Victoria’s Undies. I think he's being a little hard on himself when he calls himself frumpy. Take a look at some of the American tourists in Europe stepping out of their planned vacation tour buses if you want to see frumpy.....It's the Griswolds times 56.

Sarah Palin/OctoMom/Kate Gosselin for Co-Presidents 2012!

This content of this message was paid for by the 'Bridezilla/She's got the Look' Foundation of America.

July 21, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  6. AXH

Why is this nonsense news?

Do we care? NO.

More on to the real news...how Obama's trying to ram health reform down our throats!

July 21, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. Sam- Chicago

I agree, I've seen in him in much better jeans

July 21, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. Jason

I thought the jeans look fine. I don't want a President wearing tight jeans. I don't it is frumpy as oppose to being comfortable. The level of comfort is unique as is a fingerprint.

July 21, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. Me in Big D

For crying out loud – this is news???? With all that's going on in this country, you print garbage like this? Michelle does NOT look fabulous – she's one of the most horribly clothed person I've ever seen. The fashionistas are too busy shoving their noses in the perverbial "spot", they aren't going to say squat! Global fashion super star? The other countries laugh at how she mis-dresses for different occasions. Get it right CNN>

July 21, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  10. Larry

Could his positive number slide be tied to his choice in jeans? Or his horrid health care reform price tag and HIS languishing economy? The world will never know.

July 21, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  11. laurie

If you "care" what jeans Obama wears.....you have some major problems.

July 21, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  12. stevie raymie

Im not a fan of obama but

you know, he does have a personality i'll give him that.

his policies scare the heck out of me and i dont like them

but he does have a personality

July 21, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  13. Jason

Who really cares what he wears . . . as long as he is comfortable then that is all that matters?? I mean I dont expect him to wear Armani as he runs our country into the ground. I also dont understand what the big deal is with the fascination with Michelle Obama . . . she is below average looking and looks a bit manish to me and especially with that mouth and big shoulders. She definitely isnt anything I would turn my head around for . . . but then maybe she looks amazing coompared to the past few first ladies so maybe that is guideline being used.

July 21, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  14. 60's survivor

people!! those of us who just worry about fashion. I have this message. this President has bigger fish to fry!! give him support. listen. get the facts. and help do what's right for this country. it's citizens. and our place in the world.

July 21, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  15. Paul from Phoenix

Who cares? Are we watching the Obama family reality show?

People keep saying that dignity has been removed from the White House and needs to be restored. The first step that needs to happen is for the media to stop reporting crap like this.

July 21, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  16. cate

I think that he always looks great...it has nothing to do with clothes, it's about the person's integrity, presence and charisma and our President has all of these qualities :-) I thank God everyday that President Obama is in the White House!

July 21, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  17. DaBird

Is this just another lie, or is he using our tax money to buy mom jeans?

July 21, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  18. Mommax2

Let's give credit where credit is due. You should have named the interviewer (Ms. Viera). That would have been appropriate and professional instead of just plagiarizing portions.

July 21, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  19. Peter

Seriously, who cares? Wars, famines, droughts, terrorism, nuclear armament, economic collapse... and the people who supposedly bring the worlds most important news to us are wasting their time/lives/talent reporting on how sexy the president's jeans are/aren't? Pathetic.

July 21, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  20. Ron In California

I'm more concrned about what he thinks than how he looks.

July 21, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  21. T'SAH from Virginia

U GO BOY!!! Mr. President!! You still look good!! And on top of that – You're DOWN TO EARTH – not up THERE where there is NO AIR!!!

U Leave the fashions to Michele who is doing an EXCELLENT job!!!

July 21, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  22. dmjakers

only four suits? he's more of an everyman than his colorful speeches would imply. I kind of like knowing he's not spending his time figuring out what to wear. we've got more important things for him to do.

July 21, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  23. Polar Bears Against Palin

Why doesn't CNN talk about the dorky clothes John King wears?

July 21, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  24. Rich

People need to stop and inhale some fresh air. Only simpletons pay attention to this kind of stuff and have me wasting my time commenting on it. I hold you responsible CNN for taking me there.

July 21, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  25. moses

Hey BO. worry about the economy, not fashion.

July 21, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |