July 21st, 2009

'I'm a little frumpy,' Obama says

President Obama responded to criticism of his jeans with a simple explanation: 'Those jeans are comfortable.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even one of the most powerful men in the world has to answer to the fashion police.

President Barack Obama found himself in just that situation in an interview that aired Tuesday on NBC.

Asked about criticism of the jeans he wore recently when he threw out the first pitch last week at the Major League Baseball All-Star game, Obama didn't make any excuses.

"Michelle – she looks fabulous," the president said of his wife who has increasingly become a global fashion super star since Election Day.

"I'm a little frumpy," Obama said of himself by comparison.

The president also offered some insights into his self-admitted lack of sartorial expertise.

"Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits," the commander-in-chief said.

"I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable. And for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I'm sorry. I'm not the guy," Obama added.

Obama's jeans choice for his all-star game appearance were widely panned by fashion critics and even dubbed "mom jeans."

Related video: Jeanne Moos takes on Obama's 'mom jeans'

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Georgian

President Obama is a "10" in my book..... looking good.

July 21, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. Applelyn, PA

The president can wear whatever he wants. He was enjoying himself at a baseball game. End of story.

Oh, and Michelle never looks fabulous. She wears too many "baubles”, flowers, bows, buttons-she needs to edit herself or find an American designer.

I still like Michelle, no matter how she dresses. She has a good heart and she’s a wonderful first lady.

Obama/Biden 2012

July 21, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  3. Margo

To all those curmudgeons complaining that "this is not news", give me a freakin' break! Every time one of your presidents throws out the first pitch at a baseball game, the event makes the news.

Difference being, this president looks like the well-toned athlete he is – a man of many competencies. You should all consider yourselves lucky to have him, saving your sorry Rebublican asses.

July 21, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Steph

He can wear whatever he wants while he fights to get healthcare reform done (along with everything else he is doing for us). He is an amazing president with a great sense of humor.

July 21, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  5. Tim

We live in a world where there are much more important issues at hand, and this man is watched on everything he does. I'm not a big fan of him and how he has handled things, but what the President is wearing to throw out a first pitch at a baseball game is of very little significance. If he wants to wear them, let him wear them and leave him alone. Fashion critics are not really ones to talk. Their decisions don't affect our country. His do!

July 21, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. AntiRush

Unfortunately, there are alot of people in this country who are more interested in what a person wears, rather than being interested in what that person thinks.

July 21, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. Terri

Nothing wrong with his jeans. Fashion critics need to get a clue.

July 21, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. Anonymous

OH MY GOSH.....THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END...Our President wears comfortable jeans without any regard for fashion!!! Whatever can we do?

July 21, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. T22

I was at the All Star game and I'm not a big Obama fan, but it's always exciting to see the President. I really didn't notice anything wrong with what he was wearing, I'm sure he wanted to be comfortable and was probably more worried about getting the pitch right than the jeans he was wearing!

July 21, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  10. Sam I Am

I don't know about anyone else, but in my opinion, he's the President of the United States. He SHOULD be a little frumpy. I'm not sure how much credence I'd give to a fashion fop. Michelle really, really has to get rid of those pants, though. They go beyond frumpy to completely dorky. And Mr. Obama? With all due respect? Stay away from baseball pitcher's mounds. Maybe we can start a new tradition of making the first basket at the beginning of basketball season. You're MUCH better at that!!

July 21, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  11. Vicky

President Obama is the real deal! I am so grateful and relieved to have a competent, well-rounded, hard-working President leading our country. As for the jeans, they're perfect too!

July 21, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. Akin

The president should be allowed to relax after all those repbulican bashing afterall is human being. He is doing great job so far but can improve on his throwing capability next time.

July 21, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Carla

Just think, President Obama passes on the $100 pair of jeans...he probably saved the money he needs to pay his "share" of the increased costs of health care. How tragic.

July 21, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. littlerotten

I agree with him completely... They're jeans!! They don't need to be a fashion statement for throwing out a first pitch. If that were the case, baseball players would have all kinds of designer pocket-low riding boot cut-sliding pants that would defeat their purpose... Please people... (besides, I don't believe men should be wearing tight little jeans... that's just too metro sexual for me... men should look rugged, not trendy... can you picture a 'Marlboro man' wearing tight girlie jeans?!)

July 21, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. Anonymous

omg hes wereing jeans! gaspp!!!!! who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hes a person 2!!!!!!!

July 21, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  16. Ryan, Denver

President Obama is a real every man's man. He doesn't pretend to be anything he's not, like say... a cowboy.

July 21, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  17. Mission Accomplished

The wingnuts probably would have been happier if he'd worn a commander codpiece flight suit to throw out the first pitch.

July 21, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. Rick McDaniel

Jeans are jeans. Some people may consider them a "fashion" article of clothing, but to me, I agree with Obama......you wear jeans to be comfortably active......not make a fashion statement.

Just goes to show, how petty people can be, about what others do. The most "to do....about nothing", yet, on the Obamas.

July 21, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. PJ

Comment on what the Obama does as a President and not on what he wears. Why would his jeans matter so much? We did the same thing to President Clinton about his affair and as a result lost track of Bin Ladin. Clinton was very close to getting the rascal, but the media created too much distraction to an otherwise perfect President. Do we not learn from our mistakes? Leave the Prez alone for ittly bittly matters and let him do his JOB!

July 21, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. C W

I always do a better job when I'm dressed comfortably. Keep up the good work, Mr. President – I think you always look fine!

July 21, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  21. Gina

Are you kidding me? There are more important issues in our society which requires attention (i.e. the economy, unemployment, housing crisis, hunger, healthcare,) other than the President's jeans....

July 21, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  22. Eliza

To Applelyn, PA:

MIchelle DOES use American-based designers and shops at stores like J. Crew, etc.–all American.

Maybe that is the problem. The perception in our stores is that ALL women WANT to wear bows, flowers, frou-frou and cartoon characters.

July 21, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  23. Steve

Who cares what he's wearing!? Does it really matter after he finishes bankrupting and destroying our country?

July 21, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  24. Kimberly

its official, the right has officially lost thier minds..They are so out of touch and stupid.

July 21, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. Kelly Schmidt

I have no problem with the jeans. Do people want him to wear skin tight jeans? I think not. I do have a problem with the SOX jacket. He came to STL and should have supported the Cards, wore and All Star shirt, or not have supported any team at all.

The problem that I do have was the way he snatched the ball out of Stan the Man's hand. That man is one of baseball greatest players and should have been treated better than that. It was Obama just didn't care.

July 21, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |