July 21st, 2009

'I'm a little frumpy,' Obama says

President Obama responded to criticism of his jeans with a simple explanation: 'Those jeans are comfortable.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even one of the most powerful men in the world has to answer to the fashion police.

President Barack Obama found himself in just that situation in an interview that aired Tuesday on NBC.

Asked about criticism of the jeans he wore recently when he threw out the first pitch last week at the Major League Baseball All-Star game, Obama didn't make any excuses.

"Michelle – she looks fabulous," the president said of his wife who has increasingly become a global fashion super star since Election Day.

"I'm a little frumpy," Obama said of himself by comparison.

The president also offered some insights into his self-admitted lack of sartorial expertise.

"Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits," the commander-in-chief said.

"I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable. And for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I'm sorry. I'm not the guy," Obama added.

Obama's jeans choice for his all-star game appearance were widely panned by fashion critics and even dubbed "mom jeans."

Related video: Jeanne Moos takes on Obama's 'mom jeans'

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Tom St. Paul

Note to fashion police: Get a life.

July 21, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  2. Annie

I'm lucky. I work at a job where I wear jeans every day. I've done so for the last 20 years. Jeans aren't frumpy. They're comfortable and practical. President Obama's jeans look good. They're not torn, faded, ripped or hanging halfway down.

So what's the big deal that he wore jeans to a baseball game?

Wouldn't you? I know I would.

July 21, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  3. Marie

Seriously???? I have $22.00 in my checking account with payday still two days away!!!!!!

Don't you think it's about time to take this President to task? I swear...with the exception of VERY few, most of the Media wants to have this guy's baby.

Can we stop the hero worship and get to work!!!

Oh and Mr. President....I would really appreciate it if you stopped campaigning and got to work! And, you sir, should be telling the Press that there's alot more serious things to discuss with you, than what you or your wife wears!!

July 21, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  4. Donkey Party

Thank God that issue has been resolved, I've been losing sleep over it nightly. Sure am glad there's responsible reporting out there to cover the utmost of topics. Thanks Fox, er umm CNN!

July 21, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. Vanessa

Impressive. Criticizing the jeans of our President. This is news? When will Americans think about what is important instead of succumbing to distractions? And when will our media stop pandering to our lowest instincts?

July 21, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. Carlos

Forget the jeans he throws like a girl.

July 21, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. SheriBaby

I also thought those were bad jeans, but I think as President, he's better off being mocked for wearing unfashionable pants than being criticized for wearing $200+ designer jeans at a baseball game during a massive recession.

He has a much easier time defending this choice than having to defend how much "his people" spent on his baseball outfit. He looked like a real dad out there.

July 21, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. Kelli

Obama had those jeans since Harvard days.....we used to make fun of him whenever he worn it.

July 21, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  9. Patricia Travis

He's great!! No matter what he is wearing!!
    We should be grateful we have such an intelligent, future thinking man as our president!

July 21, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  10. Bev - NYC

And we care about his jeans why? I prefer a someone whose jeans sit at the waist with a belt. He's the President not some rapper who thinks the world should see his underwear. Jeanne Moos and other consumed by this should get a life. How about volunteering in a homeless shelter where mom jeans would be greatly appreciated by someone with nothing.

July 21, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. Chris in Memphis

Who cares what jeans he wears? fashion critics? he isnt a model!

July 21, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. Aleasha from Dundalk, MD

I think my President looked comfortable and casual in his jeans - that looked nothing like "Mom" jeans – whatever that is! What do you people want – the Marky Mark look? You'd REALLY criticize that! You people are pathetic. Find something more meaningful to criticize. I'd like to see what each of you would wear on a pitcher's mound. Barack dresses like every other American, which is perfectly in line with his "every American" values – which he puts into action everyday! Everyone needs to get a life, or go on "What Not 2 Wear" (is that the name of that show?) and pick on someone in your own family who is truly frumpy – and not a world leader who knows how to relax – something you all need to do! Having to type this reply is a waste of my important time – but you all need to "get it" – which clearly you don't!

July 21, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. Beverly

I love this guy. He's so down to earth and real, and he tackles everything with intelligence, care, honesty and insight, and always invites new ideas from everyone. I would hate his job, but I am so glad he took the position! I feel good with him in charge. Sorry to all the naysayers, but we've been a country of complacents for too long and now we have to fix a whole bunch of things. Change isn't always comfortable, but I finally feel that we're going in a positive direction as a country and as a world leader (a compassionate world leader).

July 21, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. felicia

It's ok what ever the POTUS wear he still gonna look great, that's right President Obama kill "em" with kindness

July 21, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. jeff

This is news or is this entertainment

July 21, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  16. TangledThorns

Obama's jeans... I'm glad we're back on serious subject and keeping 'em honest.

July 21, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. Ruth Challand

I've seen pictures of the so=called fashion experts. Methinks their
    taste is in the loo. Just who do they think they are to pass judgement
    on ANYONE, let alone our President.???

July 21, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. MJM

Who in the world cares?

July 21, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. daisyinatlanta

this is the kind of president we are looking for. I am praying for you. Mr. President. Keep up the good work. Watch out the waste of TARP. i am kind of concerned there.

July 21, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  20. jm

Who cares! There are real issues facing this country, who cares what type of jeans the President wears to a baseball game.

July 21, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  21. BDavis

He looks good in everything. Tight jeans are for men who sing country music and that's not cute at all.

July 21, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. white female

I think the president looks good in anything he wears.
    It's not the pants or clothes it's the man in them.
    Smart, good looking, and great Father,husband and Top notch PREZ.
    Keep up the good work Mr. President Obama.

July 21, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  23. Rob in NC

Who cares? Let the man wear what is comfortable.

July 21, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. Peach

Wow. It's a *baseball game.* Who cares what he wears??

July 21, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. seebofubar

Oh he's a little more than just frumpy, he's a liar. No one who claims to be a Sox fan could make the mistake of calling Comiski Park Comminsky Field. He also said that he remembers sitting in the steep upper section of the old Comiski park. The old Comiski park had very shallow upper section, the steep section is in the new Cellular Field. I doubt that this liar was ever at a Sox game. If he can lie about this how can you trust him at all. What a Baffoon.

July 21, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |