July 21st, 2009

'I'm a little frumpy,' Obama says

President Obama responded to criticism of his jeans with a simple explanation: 'Those jeans are comfortable.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even one of the most powerful men in the world has to answer to the fashion police.

President Barack Obama found himself in just that situation in an interview that aired Tuesday on NBC.

Asked about criticism of the jeans he wore recently when he threw out the first pitch last week at the Major League Baseball All-Star game, Obama didn't make any excuses.

"Michelle – she looks fabulous," the president said of his wife who has increasingly become a global fashion super star since Election Day.

"I'm a little frumpy," Obama said of himself by comparison.

The president also offered some insights into his self-admitted lack of sartorial expertise.

"Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits," the commander-in-chief said.

"I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable. And for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I'm sorry. I'm not the guy," Obama added.

Obama's jeans choice for his all-star game appearance were widely panned by fashion critics and even dubbed "mom jeans."

Related video: Jeanne Moos takes on Obama's 'mom jeans'

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. WENDI M

Are we that sad of a society that we have to comment on what the friggen president is wearing on his downtime?? and as usual it's negative.

July 21, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. Scott, Tucson

Not to mention that he throws baseballs like a little girl.

July 21, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  3. Bill

Who cares about the Socialists jeans, on the other hand he throws like a little girl.

July 21, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  4. Terry from West Texas

It is bizarre to me that there are people who think they know the universal rules of dress and who then enjoy making comments on what other people choose to wear. The only thing that can explain this kind of behavior is that they have become zombies of fashion marketing campaigns. What they are saying is that Obama's choice of jeans are not endorsed by recent fashion marketing campaigns.

Of course, next year "mom" jeans will be called "statement" jeans ("The jeans that you choose because you're confident as a man."). The same people will be ridiculing "non-mom" jeans, and urging all men to throw away their old, tight jeans. ("That's so 2009.")

July 21, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  5. cherrystrawberry

I love our president. but CNN this is a ridiculous story. and so are the "fashion experts"

July 21, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Don

Who cares!

July 21, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. VAisforLovers

Seriously?... who cares about the President’s jeans? Like he said – “they were comfortable”.

July 21, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. No More Cheney

He looks great. Who cares about this crap?

July 21, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. Alison

Good for him. I'm a little frumpy too.

July 21, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. sue

I thought he looked great!

July 21, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  11. Antonio, from Chi-Town

I think he looks good in those jeans.

July 21, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. sandy

Good for you Mr. President. We didn't vote him into office to be a sex symbol, we voted for him for his brains and his ability to hopefully lead this country in the right direction again. For those who constantly find fault with his everyday attire, I say, get real and find something a little more useful to talk about. I sometimes find the things they talk about to be a little stupid, no, a lot stupid.

July 21, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  13. seriously

I see nothing wrong with the jeans...go Mr. President..I'm with you...comfort all the way !!

July 21, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  14. J. Hayes

Most scrutinized President in history.

July 21, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  15. MEL IN florida

Looking good Mr. President. no need to change. Bravo!!!!!!

July 21, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  16. Don

This is news? Seriously?

July 21, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  17. U.S. Common Sense

I don't really see why this is an issue. At heart, I think all men are "T-shirt and Jeans" folk.

July 21, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  18. lovable liberal

To waste public conversation on this is more evidence that we live in a decadent and infantile society.

July 21, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  19. Grosser Hund

Does anybody REALLY care?

July 21, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. MJ

This is newsworthy? Who Cares!!!!????

July 21, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. LacrosseMom

President Obama, that's okay, you can be "frumpy" .... we voted for your intellect, ideas and promise of change not because you can throw a baseball or not.

July 21, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. Democrat

President Obama you're just fine in those jeans...it's a pitch of a ball not going to a townhall meeting or any meeting as for as that matters. Why everything has to be label or question about you and your wear. Whatever makes you comfortable; it's alright with me. I have two pairs of jeans that I love to wear more than others because they are comfortable and I look great in them :). I love "our" President responds when it come to critics and criticism. I'm a woman and I do not like tight jeans; I like the baggy look. The President knowns how to wear his clothes and the right attire for the chosen or right occasion/situation. I like that he's a casual President and not a suit/tie all the time President.

July 21, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  23. Sara

Quick! Somebody call Stacy and Clinton! "Comfortable" is not an excuse they recognize...

July 21, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  24. Tom Paine

frumpy? How about fruity.

July 21, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. Ted

I just can't believe what people criticize others about. Whoever the fashion police are need to realize that REAL GUYS don't give a crap about fashion; we only want comfortable clothes.

July 21, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |