July 21st, 2009

'I'm a little frumpy,' Obama says

President Obama responded to criticism of his jeans with a simple explanation: 'Those jeans are comfortable.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even one of the most powerful men in the world has to answer to the fashion police.

President Barack Obama found himself in just that situation in an interview that aired Tuesday on NBC.

Asked about criticism of the jeans he wore recently when he threw out the first pitch last week at the Major League Baseball All-Star game, Obama didn't make any excuses.

"Michelle – she looks fabulous," the president said of his wife who has increasingly become a global fashion super star since Election Day.

"I'm a little frumpy," Obama said of himself by comparison.

The president also offered some insights into his self-admitted lack of sartorial expertise.

"Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits," the commander-in-chief said.

"I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable. And for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I'm sorry. I'm not the guy," Obama added.

Obama's jeans choice for his all-star game appearance were widely panned by fashion critics and even dubbed "mom jeans."

Related video: Jeanne Moos takes on Obama's 'mom jeans'

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. walleye

It wouldnt matter what he wore. Someone would complain. Maybe next time shorts would be in order.

July 21, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. rachel

This is silly reporting I am not a big Obama fan. The only thing I will say bout the jeans were that they were a bit short but who cares, no matter how they looked I am sure they cost a pretty penny.

July 21, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. SlowGun

@Hugo Castrobama July 21st, 2009 11:15 am ET

In the immorttal words of another Democrat: IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID!!

-------------------------

Great to revisit the past. Yea...Clinton said this to daddy Bush, and Clinton then turn the economy around. Now again we have economic troubles, interestingly after another Bush was President (remember how little Bush told us all that the economy was stable)
    Got to hand it to the Bushes, they really kniow how to leave things all messed up for the next guy!

So I guess you're saying that Obama has failed because he hasn't been able to clean up another Bush economy in 6 months?
    Interesting and a bit short sighted.

July 21, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. mom jeans please

I love how kids like Rainy rant on and on about how this isn't news, etc and there are much better stories to be posting about.

Here's a tip, hit your back button and click on the link to any single one of those stories you just rattled off. This isn't the only story cnn has posted today. Quit being such ignorant critics; if this story doesn't appeal to you then go read another.

July 21, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. joe

mom jeans are hot

July 21, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. Code Red

Word association game with the picture:

Obama Sox

July 21, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. alpha_nu_916

read all about it! – republicans attack obama's fashion sense: "while we spent well over $50k on sarah palin's wardrobe, obama is only spending $30 on a pair of lee jeans. disgraceful. and now he's talking about increasing spending on education and health care. how about getting back to the core values that made america great like dynastic wealth & inequality."

July 21, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. Jones

I think i'm going to run for office and my entire campaign is going to be based on being able to throw a baseball and football better than my opponent and drink him or her under the table while publicly bench pressing more than my body weight. Also I will punt a math book like a football and square dance to "Aint that America" by John Mellencamp while I chow down on char grilled hamburger with Herr's Potato chips and a mug of beer.

I will than make sure i'm caught on camera at my local church praying and then I will dance to more John Mellencamp, maybe Toby Keith as well. My wife will be complacent, beautiful, and only dress in designer clothes and her opinions on anything will be limited to how great I am and how fulfilling motherhood and supporting her husband is. I'll also drive a Ford Truck to every single one of my campaign rallies. I would win this election and I wouldn't even have to reveal my stance on any political issue at all.

July 21, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. ca

He can wear what he wants. He's the president and we're not!

July 21, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  10. RNC = DNC = politics as usual

I suppose he was born in a log cabin too.

Truth: He is a rich, preppy, lawyer, career politician, who pretty much played the Savior angle to get elected. The truth hurts.

The longer we maintain this type of regular guy mythology, the deeper into delusion we go.

July 21, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  11. Proud Member..Party of No

He's a geek. Now back to the real issues that CNN and the rest of the media are trying to ignore.....Obama's dismal failings.

July 21, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  12. Casey - California

How pathetic is the news lately? Don't we have REAL issues to concern ourselves with?

As for the negative comments - you know, he's not a natural-born citizen, etc, ad nauseum - give it up. Don't you think that with all the money the corporate libertarians have socked away from raping this country's economy that they would have ALREADY found "THE TRUTH" you guys keeping trying to sell with that phoney baloney internet story?

God, how stupid ARE you? Does Santa still come for you yearly? How about the tooth fairy and other fantasies?

This is the first president since Kennedy that I feel positive about and THANK YOU FELLOW SUPPORTERS for helping to elect him.

July 21, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  13. Jewel

Looks good to me!!

July 21, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  14. Southern Lady

I am more interested in his mind than what he wears. Consider what McCain would have been wearing – since he was the alternative. I can't recall a President who looked like a jock when he threw out a ball and I have watched many throws those balls across the plate – hopefully. Some of you people need to get a life. It would also help if you studied what the Republicans put him up against and then you would be happy that he simply took time to go throw a ball.

July 21, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  15. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Obviously some people were expecting him to wear bling bling and have pants halfway down to the knees. And no belt.

July 21, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  16. Matt in CT

"To waste public conversation on this is more evidence that we live in a decadent and infantile society." – "Loveable Liberal"

Well gosh, thanks for jumping down in the mud with us. Why don't you throw around a few more silver dollar words so we can all marvel at your Wesleyan degree some more??

July 21, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. Gina

Those jeans look great on President Obama. If he likes them, then that is all that counts.I know where he's coming from. I wear what is comfortable to me, and if someone does not like it, then they are the one with the problem, not me. I say hooray for our President for wearing those jeans he loves.

July 21, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  18. Zero.

Grumpy! Is what you mean, and the little ones are very upset.

You told them your were going to take the money of the Rich and give it to them. They all elected you and you let them down. You lied...

July 21, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  19. Citizen V

It's refreshing to see someone of his stature be himself. Too many folk are out there trying to impress others. When the shine dulls and the novelty wears off, what do you really have? Be genuine.. just sayin'

July 21, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  20. cevans, tx

Thank God he's not shallow or vain, unlike the vast majority of the prudents in America.

And, for you save america, you're the dog and the liar...I guess you wanted Bush's healthcare bill...Did he have one! I guess that is why millions of Americans are without healthcare!!

Love your style Mr. President, in more ways than one!!

July 21, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  21. Rick CT

I may have issues with Obama (like his continued emphasis on getting things done fast as opposed to done right – witness the Gitmo folly, the lack of stimulus, the broken promise earmarks on the spending bill, his authorization of AIG bonuses, the ability to carry concealed weapons in National Parks, his continued overtures to the illegit Prez of Iran, and now rushing health care), but his choice of jeans is not one of them.

July 21, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  22. Matt B

Most of us are more concerned about why the unemployment rate has shot up to close to 10%, even though he Pledged it would not go above 8% if the $800b stimulus package was passed. Most of us are more concerned about how President Obama wants to add $1.2t to the budget with the new healthcare plan, this added on to the already close to $10t debt that we as a country have accumulated and he has no idea how we will pay for it. Most of us are more concerned about how many more jobs will be lost with the cap and trade. Most of us are concerned about the stimulus spending report that came out, showing the absolute waste.

We are NOT, by any means, concerned about the jeans the man is wearing.

July 21, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  23. Mike in Montana

President Barack Obama.., I know a professional baseball team in Washington, D.C. that could use you. How many games are they in last place in their division ? Your pitching looks better than theirs. Mike in Montana

July 21, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  24. Denise

Well i don't care what he wears, as far as i'm concerned he looks good in anything...i think he is the most sexiest man alive...now people magazine pay attention!

July 21, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  25. Aunt Bea and Opie

@polarbear.The rightwing sheep didnt utter a peep did they?They are so brainless,they are still looking for a birth certificate, probably cant even find their own birth certificate because they were born in an outhouse behind the trailer.

July 21, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |