(CNN) - Days after Mark Sanford wrote a newspaper op-ed publicly apologizing for his extramarital affair, the South Carolina governor told reporters Tuesday it's time to move on.
"I made a mistake in life. I've apologized for my mistake," Sanford told reporters at a stop in Greer, South Carolina. "I've said all I am going to say on that one. I am moving forward. I think the people of South Carolina are ready to do the same."
But Sanford, who spent last week away from the governor's office on a private vacation with his wife, did not answer repeated questions about why he was no longer wearing his wedding ring.
"Keep going, anything else," Sanford said motioning for the next question.
Pressed if he thinks his admission to a year-long affair with an Argentine woman will continue to be a distraction, the governor said the people of South Carolina are ready to get past the issue.
"Life and the choices that we make begin each day anew," he told a reporter. "So it's as much a distraction as you want to make it. I am going to move on with my life. The question is will you?
Asked how the scandal has affected his potential 2012 presidential ambitions, Sanford put up his hands and smiled.