July 21st, 2009
  1. GI Joe

The GOP doesn't want our health care to cut into their war funds. They are the biggest hate-mongers, fear-mongers, and war-starters I've ever seen.

July 21, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  2. jaye

Stop comparing us to Canada and to their healthcare system.
    I'm watching Rick Sanchez grill the former Canadian medical expert and hearing how it takes time to get an appointment.
    I'm an American – I'm fully insured by a private insurance company and have been waiting for 3 months to get a simple mamogram (and I live in a big city!).
    So, it's the lack of doctors thats the problem and not the insurance.
    You people need to get educated and stop listening to the urban myths and lies about Canadial healthcare.

July 21, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. geecee

Democrats: Slow it down?? Isn't 50 years of trying to reform health care long enough so that something definitive has to be done? And soon! Jim Demented: Well, not while Obama is President. Never do anything good for the Country while Obama is President or he may get the credit! Eee gads. We can't have that. No, Never, Nada, Nay. Who cares if the American people suffer, as long as Obama "fails" then everything is okie dokie. We must follow our fuehrer, Rush Blimpbag and do as he says, and prevent Obama from accomplishing anything good for this Country.

July 21, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. J B

CNN – your anchors here are taking an obvious side on this issue, maybe you should see those Walter Cronkite specials on what he believed about reporting the news.

July 21, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Frances

This guy during his speech just lifted lines from republican talking points, he is a parrot. I wonder in private how many republicans wish they would not have voted him in for chairman of RNC. During his speech you could tell he did not know what he was talking about when asked questions, he could not answer adequately. The republicans must have thought this guy would be their "Barack Obama" you know, he is black, but not all are alike. This is the narrow thinking of the republican party. What will be the next words the repubs will teach this parrot.

July 21, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. Darth Vadik, CA

I think the problem is that the people here in the US have grow up with the idea that the US is nuber 1 in everything. There was a time when it was, but realisticly speaking what are we number 1 in besides defense spending?

Ah, I sound like I don't like my country right?

WRONG

I love this country, I served this country, I want this country to be better than it is, better than it ever was. That is why I speak out when I see things going in the wrong direction.

I'm not ashamed to look at another place in the world and say, hey, maybe their way of doing certain things is better, let maybe take a look at it. I'm not that stubborn andf I'm not a fool.

Only a fool looks at him/herself and says there is nothing I can improve.

July 21, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. Jon

Don't let them fool you, Republicans have no interest in health care reform whatsoever. Their tactic is to delay and put up roadblocks in the hope nothing ever gets done, just as they did during the Clinton reform effort.

July 21, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. Kwesoe

American taxpayers pay billions to provide healthcare to millions of people around the globe. Yet, when it comes to caring for their uninsured neighbors, they prefer to wait. Steele of all people should put partisan politics aside and advocate for the interest of minorities with no healthcare. But his words suggest that he would rather be partisan. Shame!

July 21, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  9. GI Joe

Steele/DeMint 2012 to 2012-1/2

July 21, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. Julie Gorski

these two reporters make women look bad. so stupid. this is why i don't bother watching cnn

July 21, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. louise

I guess it was O.K. to throw away billons, rather trillions on Iraq War, the biggestt lie in US history, than to take care of our ailing citizens. Thats why were so BROKE and everybody just overlooks that. Sad for all of us.

July 21, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. jmg

Why should anyone support this legislation if it does not accomplish it's primary goal of lowering costs. Hard to argue with the non-partisan CBO on that fact.

Truth be told, I have no interest in providing for other people's health care with my tax money. I lived without insurance for 2 years and worked hard to get where I am today in a job that provides me decent health care. If people need health care, it is their responsibility, not mine, to provide for themselves

July 21, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. Southern Gentleman

Steele believes that certain people in that 40 something million do not need health care. He also believes young people do not need insurance. Listen to what he says. BTW. If I go to a Doc and he messes up and I die, you darn right my life is worth millions at least. You want to put a stop to it Steele?? Is my life worth say $10k. That will lower insurance costs.

July 21, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  14. Kevin Denver Colorado

PatF:Obama's ad hominum (look it up, Democrats)
    _________________________________
    Seriously Pat??? You're telling the party of highly educated college graduates to look up ad hominum? I'm surprised you even know such a phrase as it is not in Harry Potter OR Twilight!

Sorry Reds, it's a fact that people with brains (Cronkite, Einstein etc.) are liberal in their philosophies, no matter what they call themselves. (ie. Lincoln, Jesus etc.)

Kevin in Denver

July 21, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  15. Karl Krueger

For those of you that say we can not afford it, I ask who is paying for it now. The answer is ME. I have health insurance and pay for all those that don't. It is time we share the load. The total cost of health care in America is 4.3 Trillion. There 33% in administrative cost. There has to be some control and fairness in this.

This is a no brainier and the re-pubs are playing scare the people again.

There is no completion in health care. They over charge and under care.

The same is true of lawyers.

July 21, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. deb0155

To Anny: And what do you think Obama is?

July 21, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  17. GOP = 21st century dodo

Where are the sensible conservatives? Why are they letting the GOP base flood this and other forums with their birther crap? Are they not bothered by these lengthy cut n paste posts full of rehashed talking points? Do you think this sort of dialog will attract people to your party?

July 21, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. GOP = 21st century dodo

Oh and also the anti-intellectualism that the GOP base is so happy to wallow in is part of the problem. You tell people it's ok, even great, to be stupid, you'll end up with fewer doctors, nurses, emts, etc.

July 21, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. Darth Vadik, CA

Paula,

Calm down, even if this bill passes, God willing, you will still have the right to go get your own private insurance for $400 a month, or $1,200 a month if you have a family. The insurance company might even, God forbid, lower your premium beacuse you might decide they have some competition from the government.

BY GOD nobody will take your private insurance company's right to chose your doctor and your treatment.

Idiot.

July 21, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. guy_fawkes_

a) left winger = douche bag
    b)left winger = hippie
    c)left winger = socialist commie pinko douche bag

aw snap its jimmy carter era reform all over again , not clinton , but it would seem you lefty's like sloppy oral sex over beer swilling brothers and peanuts. perhaps you not so enlightened lefty's should actually read your history books instead of sell them for weed.

July 21, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Kelby In Houston, TX

TCM: "...the GOP has made countless attempts to rectify the ignorance of Obamacare"
    ******************
    No they have not. They have mad countless attempts to spread fear of the unknown. They have made countless attempts to make sure that the inurance lobby is satisfied. They have made countless attempts to maintain the status quo. They have made countless attempts to defeat Obama. They could care less about the American people or healthcare. It is clear what they are focused on.
    It is clear what YOU are focused on. -Obama. He is your obsession. I can tell from your response and the many clever ways you think of to refer to Obama and those who support him.
    You say, "...the GOP has made countless attempts to rectify the ignorance of Obamacare", and yet you did not mention any of the ideas they have brought to the table. That's because the only ideas they came up with were tax cuts to insurance companies...pathetic.

The People want Universal Healthcare and I think we can do it better than any other country on the planet.

July 21, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. Steve/Boston

Max Bacchus, has accepted millions of dollars from health insurance companies, and I'm guessing that many other Dems and Repubs in the senate and house have as well. They are all beholden to drug companies, insurance companies, doctors, and hospital lobbyists.

What a surprise! Health care reform really isn't possible because if a bill passed $$$ for re-election would dry up.

Mr. Steele is a nitwit, whose mouth runs like the Ohio River...without ceasing, and with no apparent intelligence.

It's the job of conservatives to say no, and an easy one it is because they never have to have a new idea, or stand for anything except the status quo. To do that, they create fear, and add to the collective stupidity of the general population.

I don't suppose that anyone in the Gov. is willing to give up their gov. health care, nor are most people dissatisfied with medicare...all "socialized" I might add.

Give it up repugents...let's get on with progress.

July 21, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Tulsa

So the GOP knows how to do health care?
    Where were they when they had control of Congress from 94 through 06? They had the WH from 200-2008 too and all they did is give a sweetheart deal to the drug companies and call it "reform".
    Hypocrites.

July 21, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. dave

How do you know I seen your press conference yesterday. What did you say I don' t do policy? So if you don't understand what's process is why in the hell you be opposed to something you have know clue about. How much are the insurance companies paying you?

July 21, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  25. Randy in PA

@TMC

Before you open your yap. Try looking at history. We've been trying to work on healthcare for a long time now.
    As for exactly what will happen in the future I see you also have the gift of prophecy. Congrats.

Healthcare costs will slowly kill us just like cancer does.

July 21, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |