July 22nd, 2009

Clinton, Biden in 2016?

Hillary Clinton on Wednesday did not rule out a 2016 presidential run.
Hillary Clinton on Wednesday did not rule out a 2016 presidential run.

(CNN) – It appears that two high ranking members of the Obama administration haven't entirely ruled out seeking the presidency again.

First, Vice President Joe Biden said last month that a third White House bid in 2016 - when he would be 73 - is not something he has completely closed the door on.

"No, I won't. I won't rule that out. No," the vice president said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Now, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who battled President Obama for the 2008 Democratic nomination, told a Thai television station she doesn't know if she will have White House ambitions in the future, though quickly made clear it's not something she has given thought to.

"I don't know, but I doubt very much that anything like that will ever be part of my life," Clinton, who would be 68 in 2016, told the television station, according to the Associated Press.

"I tried to be the president and was not successful," she added.

1. JT

Either one of them, I'm voting for.

July 22, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Well don't give up hope HRC. I will vote for you once there is no longer an Obama Administration. The main reason why is because I will hate to see a republican come into office and undo all the fixing we are doing now! I have faith in you that you will carry on not necessarily the same ideas as President Obama, but you being part of tis administration, you have insight to where the President is tryinbg to lead the country.

July 22, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. Melissa

Guys... its nearly 8 years. Take a chill pill, huh? For gods sakes, nothing happens overnight. Wait.

July 22, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  4. Larry

I personally think when you're around 70 you're just plain too old for the White House.

The White House has got to be the hot seat of the world.

Look at the gray hairs on President Obama already, and he's only been there 6 months.

July 22, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. No Incumbents 2010

Biden is definitely running in 2016. His platform:
    (1) The White House is the best nursing home ever.
    (2) Gaffes are very funny when you're the president.
    (3) He attended more funerals of foreign leaders than any other VP.
    (4) If you like the way I handled the stimulus you'll love my programs as President.

July 22, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  6. dumblikeu

I was tricked by cnn and other media outlets into believing Obama was the greatest candidate ever to run for the presidency...now I see it was all hogwash...i really wish Hillary won the nomination...she is league's above him and would not be making the mistakes that this inexperienced president is...cramming legislation down the publics throat, not even knowing what is in it...it will be his demise...sorry Hillary, but i know it's too little too late...

July 22, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  7. ch

Joe Biden is a first rate public servant but it will be Hillary who will get my support in 2016.

There is nobody smarter ....nobody better

July 22, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  8. DLHanna

NO! Hillary let's Bill talk too much, and we all know Biden talks more than a lonely guy at the bank!

July 22, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. Obama Victim

2016?? look for Hillary to challenge Barry......just like Ted K did against a hugely un-popilar Carter....with Barry plummeting in the polls, and the failure of Obozocare...he will be prime for the picking

July 22, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. Gator

She's already been president once.

July 22, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. Stop the Robber Baron Insurance Companies and The Republicans they Bribe

How About Lou Dobbs/Rush Limbaugh?

99 per cent of people who stumble onto CNN, wish they would stop running ridiculous polls.

July 22, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  12. Bea

Please run again, Hillary!!!

You were far more qualified than the man we ended up with, just look how great that's going.

You still have millions of supporters, give it another shot!!

Hillary 2016!!!

July 22, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. JLS

Those two running together would be like "shooting fish in a barrel"

July 22, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. Matt in CT

That would be perfect. All the Democrats who moaned about candidates being too old in 2008 would now be advocates for older candidates for their "experience." That should make for great comedy.

July 22, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. James

Country is a mess cant blame them, Maybe next time we should think before we act, isnt that something we tell our kids? or used to anyway, before we as adults made the same idiotic mistake. (Thanks South). Yep. same ole Shiat, if i had the chance, in all honestly, i wouldnt be dumb enough to take it, look at poor Obama and the shat he has to deal with. Fk it. You Lack of education fools want to go to war with no economic support, go for it, leave us educated people out of it. That means, tax yourself, not me. Sick of giving and giving and giving for nothing in return, and if you dont think i speak for the veterans around me, your the fool as usual. They attack any Democrat that either opposes the war or supports it, meaning, fight it yourself, losers. You would have to be insane to want to be president right now. Hate to say i told you so. =) enjoy that nice sunny day....9 years later.

July 22, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. Hillary Sup.

Oh, yes, I like them both. Even Joe Biden has so much gaffe, I still think HE IS BETTER, WAY BETTER THAN HIM, OBAMA.

HE IS A NATIONAL JOKE. THAT WAS WHAT MY FRIENDS IN CHINA AND IN CANADA TOLD ME.

I will support HILLARY/BIDEN; OR Sarah Palin. I will definitely NOT VOTE FOR HIM ANYMORE. HIS VAGUE WORDS, BIG PROMISES, RHETORIC SPEECHES CAN NOT STEAL MY VOTE ON 2012.

Look at his 6 month, HE SHOULD BE FIRED AFTER THE PROBATION PERIOD IF HE WORKS FOR A PRIVATE COMPANY.

July 22, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  17. Jasmine in Germany

CNN – this is political sensationalism. I am disappointed.

July 22, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. otis

Dumb article. Can we focus on 2009 first before we talk about 7 years from now?

July 22, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Joe Unger, San Francisco

2016??
    The way Obama is going, his party may not want him to run again. I"m still waiting to see some action worthy of a JFK/Abe Lincoln/Martin Luther King. Instead, I heard speeches and the usual bitter fighting back and forth with the Republicans. Come on already, BO. You're supposed to be better than this. He will end up the victim of unrealistic expectations but you reap what you sow. He totally encouraged the expecations until he won the office.

July 22, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Common Sense 09

Dang, CNN must not have anything to write about.....we're only in the first term of President Obama and here you go trying to look into the future....slow down and let's live this first 4 years and go from there!

July 22, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. GI Joe

Clinton and ANYBODY in 2016 is a very good idea. (Except failin' palin).

July 22, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. kishen c.rao

I support her...in 2016. Not a single republicans...today I saw Rudy Guliani speaking all nonsense....he lost his brain...

July 22, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Angie in Pa

Oh cmon Cnn stop this nonsense already

July 22, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Mississippi Mike

Not going to happen. If Obama gets a second term, the Republicans will take back the presidency in 2016. If the GOP takes the White House in 2012, expect another fresh face as the prime candidate in 2016. Democrats tend to favor fresh faces over people with actual experience.

July 22, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  25. Lisa

I think it's just too soon to be weighing in so heavily on Obama's performance people. It's just over half-way through his first year of FOUR in office. Many policies and plans require time to come to fruition. Have some hope for crying out loud. Quit being so gosh darn negative. I think public perception once again (as we do with everything from our celebrities to our world leaders to science to whatever) has set their sights skyward and wants the usual 'gimme now!' turn-around. It took years to land us in this economic crisis...did you really think Obama would get us all free of it in under 7 mths?? He's a great leader people but he never went around calling himself the Messiah....WE did. So we need to ssh, keep moving forward, & be SMART.

July 22, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |