July 22nd, 2009

Clinton, Biden in 2016?

Hillary Clinton on Wednesday did not rule out a 2016 presidential run.
Hillary Clinton on Wednesday did not rule out a 2016 presidential run.

(CNN) – It appears that two high ranking members of the Obama administration haven't entirely ruled out seeking the presidency again.

First, Vice President Joe Biden said last month that a third White House bid in 2016 - when he would be 73 - is not something he has completely closed the door on.

"No, I won't. I won't rule that out. No," the vice president said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Now, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who battled President Obama for the 2008 Democratic nomination, told a Thai television station she doesn't know if she will have White House ambitions in the future, though quickly made clear it's not something she has given thought to.

"I don't know, but I doubt very much that anything like that will ever be part of my life," Clinton, who would be 68 in 2016, told the television station, according to the Associated Press.

"I tried to be the president and was not successful," she added.

1. not blinded

The people who didn't vote for McCain Palin are an embarassment to the nation. We could have had intelligent government that was for the people, instead we have huge government that is for...I guess I don't know who they are spending like gangbuster for. The worst thing is that Obama is more manipulative than Bush ever was.

July 22, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  2. mstandlee

It's only 6 months into a young presidency. By the time the first four years ends, we'll all be wondering why idiot people even question Obama's motives, character and intelligence. He's been one to implement policies that will grow the future, not just making short-sighted Americans happy.

I think we'll see an American emergence in education, science and technology along with REAL world leadership before the 1st term ends. People who talk about socialism don't know the first thing about socialism, never the less what it means. His policies are NO WHERE NEAR SOCIALIST POLICIES. Republicans regurgitate the word and weak minded or mediocre intellectuals learn a new word.

This president is only making our near future sustainable by getting EVERYONE to contribute instead of being "me first" attitudes that Republican live by.

He's going to redefine the Presidency by being the new GOLD Standard.

July 22, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  3. Chris

I'd be happy to have either of them as president, but it seems very early to be discussing 2016...

July 22, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  4. mark

Rebublicans got us into this economic mess and now they are blogging who should be next president. Republicans should not be able to vote for 10 more years untill we correct what Bush ruined.

July 22, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  5. Marc

I think Hillary should run in 2012....she will win! Looks like Obama if he doesn't become a little more executive like....will lose the nomination to her.

The jerk earlier on here....that said he would vote for Romney, must be in the clouds.

Go Hillary GO!!!!!

New York State loves YOU!

July 22, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  6. Ms. M

I would love to see Secretary of State Clinton run for office in 2016. Let's make it happen!!!!

July 22, 2009 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  7. Jacob

How pathetic that a bunch of Hillary supporters would take shots at President Obama. Barack Obama isn't the enemy people, that battle is over.

July 22, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  8. karen

I agree with Kevin's comments. Obama has only been President 6 months – it took 8 years to get in this mess. I don't know why people can't give him a chance. Do you really think he could fix years of problems immediately?

July 22, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  9. ng in dc

My campaign for Hillary never ended, it's just on hold. Hillary 2016!

July 22, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  10. Expat American

Hillary is too smart to run in 2012 – contrary to what many Bridezilla Clydesdales wearing jaded blinders are shouting for....She would never gain the necessary support that she would need.
    In 2016 she would have a chance. She would have my vote.

July 22, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  11. grlpatriot

Yes, Hillary 2012 and 2016!

July 22, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. bobby

Biden or Hillary???

Biden is basically the liberal's version of a former VP: Dan Quayle.. Just add 20 years and hairplugs...

Hillary..she already ran the country for eight years...

In either case, they'd be better than the guy we have now.

July 22, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  13. Richard L

"I tried to be the president and was not successful"

Same for George W. Bush.

July 22, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  14. SPK

Bob from Dallas – not sure I understood your email when you say "Native born American." In case you are alluding to Obama not being a real American, he was in fact born in a U.S. state – Hawaii is a U.S. state (incidentally, John McCain was born outside the United States).

July 22, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  15. Jacob

I've been a hard and fast republican my entire life, but at this point in our countries economic history I have got to default to the person with the highest probability of having success as President. There are arguments both ways for what Bill was able to accomplish, but I wholeheartedly would embrace any influence he had on his "wife" being in the White House. We need somebody in there with brains who can keep the U.S. from becoming any more of a socialist/communist state. We're definately on the wrong track; one of the most ironic aspects of my life considering the battles we wages to stop the practices we are not lauding. Clinton – Independent – 2012... I will vote that way.

July 22, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  16. Nicole

Given the sorry state of the GOP and lack of true republican leaders, I anticipate a democratic president for the next 12 years or so. But of course a lot can change by then. Obama may be losing some ground with independents but his approval rating is still relatively high – especially considering the enormity of the nation's problems- and the republicans are hovering around 30%.

July 22, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  17. ronna

Clinton in 2016 – Go Hillary Go!!

July 22, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  18. Jane

I hope so. Need to get rid of the current idiot. She needs to loose Biden he's the stupid side of the coin.

July 22, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  19. jan baker

I voted for Hillary ito get the nomination in 2008 and I will vote for her again - she is smart and hard working and loves our country. We could not get a more dedicated Prez.

July 22, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  20. jesse

let not forget that it was barney frank and company that started the housing mess that bush inherited.

July 22, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  21. Jon

Hahahahaha...the Republicans would love to see either of these two run...

July 22, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  22. Edward

If Obama does well and leaves the Democratic party in good shape then she's a shoe in for 2016 ... if she wants it.

July 22, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  23. howie

Say it isn't so, please, please.

July 22, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  24. Steve, Columbia SC

Is it my imagination or are they implying our current president will be re-elected for a second term? Awful presumptious.............counting chickens a little early aren't we?

July 22, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |