July 22nd, 2009
  1. Ancient Texan

I'll go for that. But a government run plan that furnishes healthcare for people that are in our country illegally, and intends to withhold care from our senior citizens because of age is beyond belief. This at at time when the baby boomers are at retirement/medicare age.

July 22, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  2. Real Republican

I wonder if illegal immigrants will be covered

July 22, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  3. phoenix86

He wants to get this right, but he doesn't want anyone to know what the plan is. Even Obama doesn't know whats in it.

This government belongs in a banana republic.

July 22, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Get it right Mr. President. The American People are behind you.

July 22, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  5. multvitamin

Who is going to pay for 20 million illegal immigrants ?

is that getting it right ?

May God have mercy upon each one us !

July 22, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. susie

If they want to get it right, maybe they should read the 1,000 page bill first.

July 22, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. annie for Palin

Then why doesn't he take the time to do it. Even the obama hasn't read this plan. His speech was all over the place – made NO SENSE! He talks to the AMERICAN PUBLIC like they are stupid! In 50 minutes he can only answer 11 questions? So who's stupid. Hillary was so right – the only thing he brings to the table is a speech and this one was not even good.

July 22, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  8. David from WI

I just wasted an HOUR OF MY LIFE listening to the SAME THINGS HE HAS BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG

HOW MUCH ENERGY, MONEY, and how MUCH CO2 did it cost for this WASTE TO REPEAT THE SAME TALKING POINTS AND STATEMENTS WE HAVE HEARD FOR CLOSE TO TWO YEARS (in some cases) ?

I get it, what you want to do (sort of) and some generalists that was almost EQUAL to what we have been saying for TWO YEARS.

He did say the Cambridge (was Cambridge?) Police acted stupidly.
    That was new.

The cops there will love that one.

July 22, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  9. JeannieRNCCM

This Health care reform bill does not need to be rushed through. Everyone email or call your Senators Congressmen and Senators. Let them know what you think. There is No Guarantee. President Obama even said himself He has the best health care, has his own doctor. Let him know, what its like to be an average person. Government does not need to control healthcare. Do you want the government to tell you that because your a smoker, that you can't have a heart bypass because your not disciplined with your behavior. Do you want your government to tell you what you can and cannot do.

July 22, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  10. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

If "it's important to get this right," then it's important to get government out of health care and keep it out.

July 22, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  11. Paul Cooper

This speech was filled with so many inane statements, I can only wonder if this man has any idea what he is talking about.

We are going to control the deficit by adding trillions of dollars in spending to a budget already in the red?

We are going to grow the economy by squeezing doctors for more "savings" than Medicare already forces on them?

Barack Obama is starting to make George W. Bush look like an intelligent man, and that's saying an awful lot. Maybe he should read the speech before it's typed into the teleprompter next time. or better yet, have someone else read it. Someone with a clue.

July 22, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  12. Greg Hackett

I have had 4 surgery and lost my job due to an injury. I had to get more insurance after losing my job,which was very expensive compared to what i had threw my employer. But the thing is, My new insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions. So now i have over 60,000 dollars in medical bills that they will not pay. Health care reform is a must, It's bad when insurance companies can charge these high premiums and they don't fully cover you.

July 22, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  13. ib

to get it right; stop any program that is gov. controlled. I do not want Obama and czars telling me what kind of health care I can have.

July 22, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  14. Denna

Thank you, President Obama, for having this press conference. It is the best thing you could have done to answer your critics. The people complaining the loudest, I promise you, have health insurance and are not worried about paying if they get sick. President Obama is attempting to get Congress off their lazy butts and work in a timely manner to give the American public what it asked for. For all of you complainers – he is just trying to keep one of his campaign promises. My guess is that the complainers on this blog are really republicans and other shills trying to change peoples minds. We WANT health care. All Americans DESERVE to be treated when they are ill.

July 22, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  15. Marty, Grand Rapids MI

Single payer is the only way to reduce cost by a significant amount. The Plans in the house do a ok job at fixing the moral issues we have with health care but nothing for the growing cost. If we won't goto single payer for cost reasons, then we need to ban for profit insurance and cap salaries (similar to good non for profit insurance companies). This could save us 12% and remove wall street from the decision making process.

July 22, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. Anonymous

I listened to the President ....what a crock of bull.....he doesn't even know what is in the bill yet....he just wants these non medical democratic representatives to cram it through. By the way his numbers of 45 million that are uninsured...20 million include illegal aliens.....won't that be an incentive for more illegals crossing our borders.

I say no to Obama.....he needs to slow down and work on the economy...because his solutions of pork bills so far are a failure.... now these same morons think in less than a month can handle this....I don't think so....they are too stupid. He is just going to cram his socialist agendas through....I am sick of him. I want these morons to read the bill and I want it posted on the internet so that Americans can read it too.

July 22, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  17. indy voter

This is the biggest "people vs. big corporate profits" battle of our time...

The false information and fear being spread by the health/drug industries and their millions of dollars worth of lobbying in Washington are absolutely shameful...

Why is it that 75% of the country's citizens want a choice for everyone to have basic health care coverage and yet, so many Republican senators and congressmen and women are coming out with rationalizations against it?

Are they for the people and our well being and safety from catastrophic bankruptcy–or are they just trying to say "NO-NO" to anything Obama tries to do for Americans....

The GOP had eight long years to get this thing going and what did they do-increased health and insurance costs by 200%.

It's plain who is opposing this and believe me, any vote in the senate or house against health care for the people is going to cause a huge backlash against that elected official in 2010-2012!!!

We who need coverage will not forget.... :( :(

July 22, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  18. Gator

They have not done anything right yet, why start now?

July 22, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  19. marilynm

For the most part easy questions by a press corp in the tank with this administration. His answers were so long and off track I forgot the question by the time he finished. He never did answer the limited care to seniors. He constantly uses the blame game. How in the world we put someone in office who is not a true patriot I will never figure out.

July 22, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. beth

I now officially DO NOT like our prez......I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, BUT, he lost me when he defended that professor at harvard, who was a militant, argumentative B and did NOT cooperate with the cops......that was NOT racial profiling, that was the police force doing what they are paid to do..........Obama, you just lost me, for good

July 22, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  21. Scott L

Basically, if it is not socialist enough, he will veto it.

American voters will veto him in 2012.

July 22, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. Terry, TX

Well he has not got anything right up to now...why would this be any different. He said nothing about the specifics of this program or how it is going to be paid......the 45 million of the uninsured include 20 million illegal aliens...now he wants to tax carbon and cram an amnesty garbage. This is getting creepy.

Can I ask CNN....how much money do you lose in advertisement posting this on the air...he said nothing....explained nothing....what was the point?
    Why do you do the tickler on this speech in pieces...Just do it in one section and let us comment one time.

July 22, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  23. John from California

I'm retired living on a pension and my 401K savings and even though I saved 20% the last 18 years at work, health care costs are rising so fast that I'm not sure how we'll afford it later in life.

The President is rightly concerned with the biggest runaway costs in our society and it's high time that we as a country fix this problem.

There is no reason why doctors can't go on a salary and work for a system of non-profit medical facilities. All of the scare tactics are designed to keep a system of insurers and medical providers making exorbitant salaries while the rest of us work all our lives and end up broke or in debt because of run-away medical costs.

I fully support the President and I hope that all "thinking" Americans see through the opposition propaganda.

July 22, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  24. Dave in Illinois

All smoke and mirrors and no substance. President Obama is a talking head with a teleprompter who has a vision for health care but no real plan.

He provides no details and no leadership, just speeches that blame everything on the previous administration. His primary talking point is how terrible the world will be if we don't implement all his spending proposals for TARP, cap and trade, health care, and who knows what else.

July 22, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  25. leon pa

I'm with you Mr president..........

July 22, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |