July 22nd, 2009

Palin rejects allegations over legal defense fund

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin cites the cost of battling ethics complaints as one reason she's leaving office.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is rejecting allegations she broke state ethics laws by letting supporters set up a legal defense fund for her.

"The fund itself was not created by me nor is it controlled by me. Neither I nor my lawyer has received a penny from this fund," the GOP's 2008 vice presidential candidate said in a statement via her spokeswoman, Meghan Stapleton.

Palin emphasized that she did not control the fund.

"I find the notion that I have taken any action pertaining to the legal defense trust fund misguided and factually in error," the outgoing governor of Alaska said Wednesday. "I have not 'acted' relative to the defense fund, and it is misleading to say I have."

She was responding to a preliminary report suggesting she may have violated Alaska laws.

An investigator hired by the state Personnel Board recommended Palin - who gives up her office Sunday - refuse money from the defense fund and ask the state to pay legal fees for ethics complaints that have been dismissed.

CNN obtained a copy of the report Tuesday.

Palin attorney Thomas Van Flein said the report is not final, however, and he is preparing "supplemental information" for the investigator.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. You lose all credibility when you say Palin is smart

Look, I hate this woman and I am a so called "lib", but this nonsense reporting is ridiculous. CNN, you and most other 24 hour news networks have traded in your integrity for ratings.

Shame on you. Report on Palin when one of these ethics complaints actually stick, don't stir the bees" nest when there is no honey inside.

I can't believ I'm actually defending Palin for once, but this goes beyond that. It's the fact that CNN has become a gossip news channel.

Journalists who value news integrity and want to be taken seriously should form a new News network that reports valid news. Leave the gossip to the amateurs.

July 22, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. dominican mama 4 Obama

AAAHHH! The obligatory Palin story to lighten the hearts of Americans at large.

July 22, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  3. FAYE, NV

Sara used her political stance to obtain support for this legal fund. She allowed them to use a picture of her and Tood. Not once did she denounce to group.

July 22, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  4. jaye

This woman is a user – she thinks she's America's sweetheart, but, she's nothing more than a dishonest politician who wants to be president.
    I laugh at her and at her supporters.

July 22, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  5. dominican mama 4 Obama

"Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is rejecting allegations she broke state ethics laws"

Okay...Sarah may be dumb as a bag of rocks, but EVEN she is not that dumb. Come on, what is she supposed to do, ADMIT allegations of wrongdoing?

Duh.

July 22, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  6. Lisa in FL

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. C'mon now. Anybody paying attention knows that when this "fund" was first introduced, it was you, yourself out there blabbing and asking for folks to help pay your "legal bills" related to all the attacks and ethics issues. I thought it suspect at the time because it is a fact that attorney's working for the state of Alaska and for the Governor are paid a salary, no matter what cases they are working on. So, my question is: Where is all the money people donated to going Sarah? Oh, Sarah. Haven't you learned by now, WHAT A TANGLE WEB WE WEAVE, WHEN FIRST WE DECIDED TO DECEIVE! Can't wait for July 27th when the chains come off and you are free to really speak your mind.

Side note: a grammar expert dissected her resignation speech and found 435 grammatical errors. True.

Sarah Palin = the gift that keeps on giving!

July 22, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  7. Zoe

Please get her out of the news, the public is tired of hearing about Sarah Palin. The Republican party made her look bad enough. The rest of the world could care less about what she is doing and her opinions on anything.

July 22, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |