July 22nd, 2009

Pelosi vows to move ahead on health care

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday she intends to move forward with a vote on health care reform this summer and indicated Democrats may keep the House in session past its scheduled summer break if needed.

"We believe that the American people have waited long enough," Pelosi told reporters. "I want to see a bill."

Pelosi also insisted Democrats have enough support to pass their health care bill. "I have no question that we have the votes on the floor of the House to pass this legislation," she said.

The Speaker reported that leaders were making progress responding to demands from a group of conservative Blue Dog Democrats who have vowed to block the bill from passing a key committee unless major changes are made. But Rep Mike Ross, a leading Blue Dog negotiator on the committee, issued a statement Wednesday that seemed to lower expectations a bit: "We are making progress; however, we have a long way to go," he said.

Pelosi said she would "see what the Senate is considering" on options to pay for the health care bill. She emphasized the focus is on finding more savings before decisions on taxes are made. "We want to squeeze as much savings out of the system as we can before we seek any revenue. We can only go so far," she said.

Filed under: Health care • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Debby

Yeah like everyone will listen to this botox queen. LOL

July 22, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  2. Kim

WE need healthcare passed now.... if we don't do it now our economy will go bust and worse than this now.

Why in the next 10 years the beginning of 80 milion baby boomers will begin to retire at the price of $15,000 in social Security per year.
    When all of the "boomers" are retired it will ad 1.2 Trillion per year to our debt not including medicare. Why at just $10.00 per "boomer" for medicare will bring the total up to 2 TRILLION PER YEAR!!!! and that is why we need healthcare reform now, turn healthcare into a utility cost plus 10 percent.

July 22, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. Chris

Just as I expected my kids to help with chores around the house when they were growing up, I also expect the lazy people of the world to learn that they need to take care of themselves by working, paying their own way in life, and also contributing to the cost it takes to run this country. Now I would agree that the government could help business leaders get their plants running better, help them with costs of training these lazy people to work, and help cover their jobs for a short period of time. Then ...... well, then it's up to that person to work just as I have to go to work every day and earn my money. No one who is below retirement age should be drawing a salary for their entire lives just because they are lazy, illiterate, or having babies by the wagon load.

July 22, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Peter E

Here's an idea: stay healthy! Get up from your fat bottom and start exercising!
    Oh, but not even republicans advocate THAT much personal responsibility. Their idea of 'personal responsibility' is for you to keep eating unhealthy food until you get sick so that you will be forced to spend a third of your paycheck or more fattening the pockets of their health care corporate buddies. Face it, whether through government taxation, or through the excessive corporate health care fees you'll still lose money. There is no difference. Fees to private companies are no better than taxation. (even worse, if you consider their outrageous inflation) So the only way you keep your money is if you stay healthy.

July 22, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. Rus in St. Paul, MN

We do need to reform health care, but we need to do it responsibly. This is a horrible bill for America, plain and simple. And the demanded rush on getting it through is making it worse. Heck, Obama took 4 months to make a decision on what kind of dog to get, but we demand getting complete health care reform done in 2 weeks?

July 22, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. AJ

We've waited long enough for a healt care plan that makes sense. The one thats been proposed is muck that will be riddled with unnecessary costs. Obama has been a bitter disappointment. I only hope we Democrats don't make a better choice next time.

July 22, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. My 2 cents

Why has my life been reduced to a discussion of how much healthcare reform will COST??? Why have I been lumped in with lifetime welfare recipients & illegal aliens??? Why do so many of you automatically asume that if someone does not have healthcare coverage, they must be lazy, or have all sorts of material "goodies", or be an alcoholic or "druggie"???

I do not have healthcare coverage. Until last year, I had worked hard all of my life, with no "handouts". Last year I learned that I had a rare form of cancer (carcinoid – a nueuroendocrine cancer). I underwent extensive surgery to remove the tumor & parts of my digestive tract. When I returned home from the hospital, I was released from my employment and lost my health insurance (there was no COBRA – we had less than 20 employees). I am currently on social security disability (which I paid into all of my life). I can make ends meet on that disability payment ($1,500/mo.), but I am now considered inelligible for medicaid ("too much income" – $1,550/mo.?!!!) or medicare.

I need to have continuing CT scans. I desperately need dental work. Doesn't anyone in this great country care about people like myself?

July 22, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  8. rich

If we do not handle health care right now we are going to be in big trouble in the future. Some people are worried about the cost, but are they considering the cost of health care in the future if nothing is done. People need to stop listening to rich people telling them that health care reform is not possible. Remember these people are taking money from insurance companines and insurance companies are not giving them the money for free. I used to work at an insurance company and profit was the main goal of the company and not care. For example, they had people dedicated to looking at medical records for pre-existing conditions. Once a pre-existing condition was found they would send out a letter denying claims. People need to start educating themselves about health insurance policies. If you want information about your health policy and what everything means you can contact a health insurance advocate to explain the details of the policy.

July 22, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. rob

There is no reason for this bill to be pushed through so quickly except that the more the american people know about it the less they want it.

No-one knows for sure whats in these bills not even the President. The GOP leaders and the Blue Dog Dems need to stand strong and stop this monstrosity before its too late. If its this important then let everyone know all the details before they slam it through and leave the next 3 generations to pay for it.

Nov. 2010 can't come fast enough.

July 22, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |