July 22nd, 2009

Senate rejects concealed weapons bill

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Senate narrowly rejected a controversial measure to allow people to carry concealed weapons from state to state Wednesday.

The vote was 58 to 39. The amendment needed 60 votes to pass.

The measure would have required each of the 48 states that currently allow concealed firearms to honor permits issued in other states.

It was the first significant defeat this year for the gun-rights campaigners, after gun-control advocates faced an unexpected setback in May.

In May, President Barack Obama signed a credit card bill that included a provision allowing people to carry guns in national parks. Another bill that would have given the District of Columbia's representative in Congress full voting rights stalled earlier in the year after Senate Republicans attached a provision that would have eased tight gun controls in the district.

The concealed weapons proposal was an amendment to a larger defense appropriations bill, introduced by Sen. John Thune, a South Dakota Republican.

Filed under: Senate
  1. David

Now Obama needs to put the ban on assault weapons back in place, along with the ammunition for them. Let the psychos have their guns, just no ammunition for them.

July 22, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. gl, From Pittsburgh

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA July 22nd, 2009 12:46 pm ET

This news will incite some right wing NRA nut to go on a rampage.

and you are so right because that is what happen in Pittsburgh which a right wing gun nut killed three of our Police Officers. The Officers never had a chance becasue the nut was arm and ready to shot them as they came in this nuts house.

July 22, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  3. Havoc

Ian Illinois does not allow concealed carry. You are wrong.

July 22, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. Gator

The so called assault weapons are no more dangerous than any other weapon. In fact the shells they use are not as powerful as most deer rifles. Some of them are capable of holding more rounds, but you can modify a deer rifle to do this also. The non-military versions are not machine guns. There are quite a few people who use these guns to hunt as well as competition shooting and they are not drug dealers or criminals. A .22 caliber rifle in the hands of someone who knows how to use it is just as deadly as an AK. The assault weapons ban, as with any other ban will not do a thing to keep guns out of the hands of criminal, no matter what obama or holder says.

July 22, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Look at the big picture

@ Susan (Michigan

I agree with you, but let's not lose sight of the fact that it was by a very narrow margin.

July 22, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Royster

WHY are the Republicans tacking Gun bills onto other needed bills as amendments? Is it so obvious that a gun bill would never pass by itself, that the GOP has to resort to these tactics???

So now a needed defense bill is stalled because your South Dakota senator (state population less than Chicago!) want to kiss up to the NRA.

QUIT adding your gun-friendly bills to defense and credit card bills!
    If you feel so strongly about gun rights, put the issue, by itself in a bill, then have an up or down vote on the gun issue itself!!

Otherwise I just keep on believing the NRA and its cronies are a bunch of crybabies who hide behind the skirts of other issues and are terrified to be in the spotlight by themselves.

July 22, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Scott, Tucson

This is sorta of an odd bill in that the States which have concealed carry laws, also have reciprocal agreements in which those States will recognize one another citizens concealed licenses. Meaning I can travel cross country through these states with my concealed gun and be perfectly legal.

But the vote does a good job of reminding us of who the anti-gun senators are.

July 22, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. Terry

The right to bear arms has nothing to do with hunting. It is to ensure that the citizens of this country, except for the idiots on this board who are too ignorant to understand, have a way to oust the government if it becomes tyrannical and "not for the people". Also, do you think that if a person really wants to kill another that a handgun is the only thing that will accomplish this feat? How about the two to five ton car some people are driving. I could easily take out 20 to 30 people with my car if I was homicidal. Wake up fools......guns don't kill people, people kill people.

July 22, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. Angie in Pa

BRAVO SENATORS BRAVO!!!! We dont need the lunatic far right nut gun laws!!!!

July 22, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. rice, bryan

tell me where it says in the constitution that you have the right to own an ak-47. you have the right to bear arms, was like the bible, has lost it's meaning over time. the right to bear arms is meant for the arming of a state militia. remember the minute men? they had to keep their own arms at home, in order to be organized in minutes notice. i hunt, i have my own guns. i believe in the right to own guns. but do i need an automatic rifle at home to protect it? protect it from an invading army, no. protect from a large group of robbers, no. hunt moose from a helicopter, no. do i have a problem registering my guns, no. do i need to protect my family when i go on vacation, from what. do i go to areas that are threatening, no. do i go where i am not supposed to, no. so what why do need to take a pistol with me across state lines?

July 22, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  11. Stuffit

Up to this point I've read about 4 informed posts out of the 60 something here. Concealed carry holders are law-abiding citizens. Those here remarking about "wild-west" shootouts have no clue what it takes to obtain a permit in most states. If CCW holders were rabid shoot 'em up types, they wouldn't obey the law that says they have to get the permit to carry. The non-permitted are the ones you have to worry about, folks that rob liquor stores and have gang shoot outs in the streets are most likely not your concealed carry holders. One guy states "Next thing you know, they will be shooting people who jaywalk", that would fall under the purview of the police, and I've seen with my own eyes (quite recently in fact) a guy get Tazed for just that. As a CCW holder, it matters not to me if someone jaywalks, I could care less. Just don't come into my house in the dead of night uninvited. I'll ask you to identify yourself and state your business, if you fail the test I'll ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you probably never will.

July 22, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  12. Annette

Thank God! oh some much crime in DC, sure ease the gun control so those same folks can call DC the murder capital again. Because this is the kind of insane crap that keeps the fire burning. One group of people can tote guns around and call it legal and another group gets arrested for toting a gun and cal lit illegal. Yeah right.

July 22, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  13. Rob

Ian – Your statement "For starters this article is a little misleading. All 50 states allow concealed carry, 48 require permits, Vermont and Alaska trust their citizens to carry concealed without any sort of permit." is incorrect. Illinois does not have a conceal weapons permit, because it is unlawful for a citizen to carry a weapon. Wisconson is the same way. Please research your facts before you start posting false information.

July 22, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. Refuse to Obey

I will continue to carry my pistol with me everywhere I go....regardless of the laws of any state. No one can take away my God-given right to defend myself and my family from criminal attack. I am generally law-abiding, but I draw the line at arrogant liberals attempting to restrict my ability to defend myself, while lifelong criminals walk the streets after multiple felony convictions. You can bet that I will not be I will not be the one at a Senate hearing, weeping because my family was shot to death by some deranged psycho while I cowered in fear due to laws forbidding me to carry my pistol. I will have my pistol, and I will fight back. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

July 22, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |