July 23rd, 2009

DNC to launch new ad blasting health plan opponents

The DNC will launch a new TV ad Friday taking aim at Republican critics of President Obama's health care reform plan.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Democratic National Committee is launching a new TV ad Friday that takes aim at GOP critics of President Obama's health care reform plan.

"What's the cost of not reforming health care?" asks the narrator in the 30-second spot. "Premiums rising faster than your paycheck. Insurance companies dictating more and more medical decisions. Denying you coverage while their profits soar."

"Tell Republicans the cost of doing nothing on health care is just too high," continues the narrator, as pictures of Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, South Carolina Sens. Jim DeMint and Lindsey Graham, and conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh flash on-screen.

It's the second DNC ad in a week to treat DeMint as a major target, based on his comment that the failure of a Democratic health care reform plan would "break" the president.

The ad buy, which will run on cable television nationally and in Washington, DC, will be a minimal buy, running in the tens of thousands of dollars, according to a DNC source.

Full script after the jump

What's the cost of not reforming health care?

Premiums rising faster than your paycheck.

Insurance companies dictating more and more medical decisions.

Denying you coverage while their profits soar.

The cost of doing nothing means rising co-pays and out-of-pocket expenses. Families faced with paying the mortgage or paying for health care.

But some leading Republicans, playing politics, have vowed to kill reform.

Tell Republicans the cost of doing nothing on health care is just too high.

Filed under: DNC • Health care • President Obama
  1. Darth Vadik, CA

Give the GOP a tase of their own medicine ... he he he

Hey GOP, it sucks when Democrats start fighting, doesn't it?

July 23, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. AJ

Well, I've got news for the DNC – It's not just republicans who oppose this health care bill. Many of us Democrats believe the bill to be ill advised, not well thought out and just more of the same.
    Obama and this health care plan are a disaster!!

July 23, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Lois

What about the Democrats that are voting NO. His own party is not behind him, yet they are trying to put the blame on the Republicans.
    Remember, the dems are in charge; they can do what they want.

July 23, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. Ryan Indy

Thats what Obama does when challenged or in this case defeated on a policy issue......ATTACK PERSONALLY.....Chicago Politics at its finest and this is the same man that blasted Bush for ethics and Class. As an independent you have lost me Barack, you are probably one of the biggest Hypocrites I have ever seen in politics. And his followers are pathetic small hateful people that follow blindly their Master.

July 23, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. Larry

It's pathetic that this kind of back-and-forth between parties is necessary to accomplish what this country so desperately needs.

July 23, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Matt

What a bunch of crooks.

Chicago politics.

Instead of fixing the problems that most Americans see, slander the opponents.

Democrats are such a filthy bunch of thieves.

July 23, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Bill NY

I say its time to strip these so-called public servants of their health benefits until they work for the interests of all the citizens of this country. Its always easy to talk trash when you have and others don't.

July 23, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Randolph Carter

All of this blasting and ripping in the headlines today makes me yearn for the simpler days of slamming. Have a nice day!

July 23, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. kishen c.rao

go for health care reform...listen, even if you have insurance, doesn't mean a thing...listen, I have insurance, it is 10,000 deductible...no kidding...ok, I am still paying to hospital...............ha, sad...go for health care...pres.obama, my vote is for you even next time too................it is for sure...

July 23, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. joe m

more of the same old same old.

July 23, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Sarah B. Frates

Obama was absolutely right to criticize the Cambridge police. They came on to Gates' property and arrested him in his own home. The Constitution guarantees a person the right to be secure in his own home, and the Cambridge police violated his rights. I hope he sues them. In Houston (Bellaire subdivision), the police shot a young black man who was in his own front yard. He is the son of a professional athlete who can now not play professional baseball because of his injuries. Just because a person is Black in a predominantly white neighborhood does not give the police the right to arrest him or shoot him. This is totally outrageous.

July 23, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. Grrr-awful-o

Our Stalinist "Big Bro" at work... USSA nowadays...(United Socialist States of America)

July 23, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. billie

Oh pretty please run that. There are more than 60 house seats that dems currently hold in GOP territory.

This will be there undoinging!!!! GOP returns to power in 2010 and 2012!

July 23, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. Barry Obammy

"Another thing, while I don't have the facts, I know that Michael Vick is innocent and was railroaded into a false conviction by a group of stupid right-wing racist thugs. And don't even let me get started about the stupid people who were out for OJ..."

July 23, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. Henry Miller

No, I'm telling Democrats the cost of socialising health care is just too high. Prove to me there's some way of containing costs without ruining the quality of the health care my family and I get, and I might be persuaded to let you try that.

But no way will I tolerate a system that increases my costs or my taxes to subsidise the health care of total strangers–increasing anyone's costs or taxes to subsidise strangers is just wrong. Giving one group of people something for "free" that another group has to pay for themselves is just unfair, especially if the group doing the paying has to pay for the freeloaders too.

July 23, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. PFFT

The Dems have the majority in the House and the Senate. If they can't muster the votes to pass the obamanation that the Obamanation wants for health care, the Dems only have themselves to blame. They have the Presidency, and the Congress. They should be able to pass whatever monstrosity their little socialist hearts' desire.

July 23, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. BanPoliticalParties

It is bad enough that the political parties WASTE hundreds of millions of dollars on election campaigns and now we have them blowing wads of cash on smear campaigns during non-election years! Shame on you! Is this what we are to expect from the Democratic party when they control both houses and the presidency? Extra smear campaigns wasting even more of the money that taxpayers have given them in the hopes that they will represent the people properly.

July 23, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. Aaron

President Obama and the Democrats should continue to make the case for healthcare reform to the American public and discredit any disinformation and propaganda that the Republicans and special interests put forth.

July 23, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. Truth Oriented

spend more time on health care reform and less time on advertising bipartition matters

July 23, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. dan, MI

DNC wants the healthcare to be rationed. It is better if they go to Soviet Russia or elsewhere, China may be. You idiots wasting money for this stupid cause.

July 23, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. Sam I Am

I watched Steele get interviewed about healthcare the other night on TV. He was absolutely clueless. Not only are his "remedies" nonsense (they'd lower healthcare costs maybe a couple of percent) but he obviously has no idea what the average American struggles with, with healthcare bills.

As soon as the Republicans stop whining, and come up with real alternatives to Obama's plan, I'll listen. I haven't heard anything viable from them yet. I didn't hear anything viable from them for 8 years.

It's time for a new, third party in our poiitical system. Leave the Republicans literally and figuratively in bed with their reactionary far right religious supporters. We'll get moderate conservatives back in a third party, and the Repubilcans can go hang out in airport bathrooms they seem to enjoy so much.

July 23, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. doc

the cost of doing nothing is just too high? ok, so when you goofy liberals force your so-called "plan" down america's throat, and my employer provided health care plan becomes too expensive for my small business owner boss, and she has to drop it, and i am forced onto your plan, just exactly HOW is that helping me?
    not that i'll get a coherent response, i just wanted you to know i'm aware that you democrats are planning the theft of my decent heath care benefits.

July 23, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. Independent Again

I think Obama needs to stop blaming Republicans for this debacle we are in with HC.

It is very clear that the DEMS control Congress with a filibuster-proof majority! The Dems are the ones oppose to the plan.
    When ask last night why is he (Obama) blaming Repubs when the WH, Senate & House are all controlled with super majority by Democrats? Obama replied he has not blame the Republicans.
    Yes Obama we are that dumb.

Typical Chicago-Style politics! Do one thing but say another. People are too stupid to realize or question.

July 23, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. autumnstorm

The cost of health care reform is too much for congress too pass. I am willing to take the chance with the current health care. No more change, it's costing us too much money.

July 23, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Angel

I'm glad to see us speaking up - our party is the only one that ever speaks up for needed change and the well-being of all our citizens. i would like to propose that every conservative who does not want to receive the benefits of Obama's plan be given the opportunity to opt out of it. I think that's fair. Then, if any of them die due to lack of health insurance so be it. I have to think of my mother, who died at the age of 51, when her health insurance from her old employer had expired the previous week. She lay in a hospital surrounded by so-called physicians who took the Hypocritical oath instead of the Hippocratic one. She had no valid insurance, and we didn't have the money to save her. She would have been 78 now. She would have seen her grandchildren and great grandchildren. Instead, she's a story I tell them at night of someone they will never see who would have loved them very much.

July 23, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |