July 23rd, 2009

NRCC targets Obama for saying Cambridge cop 'acted stupidly'

(CNN) – The National Republican Congressional Committee came to the defense of the Cambridge, Massachusetts police officer who arrested black Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr., attacking President Obama for saying Wednesday night the officer 'acted stupidly.'

In a statement targeting several House Democrats from Massachusetts, NRCC communications director Ken Spain said, "This is certainly a questionable rush to judgment coming from a president who hasn't exactly been quick to call out unconscionable behavior by a merciless foreign dictator or gotten his facts straight before advocating a trillion-dollar mistake to address our ailing economy."

"Is it really presidential for him to cast harsh judgment of a law enforcement official without all the facts?" said Spain.

The statement calls on Massachusetts Democrats to say whether they agree with the president's assessment. The National Republican Senatorial Committee also launched a Web ad Thursday asking whether it was appropriate for Obama to reach a judgment on the matter after he himself admitted he did not know all the facts.

Filed under: NRCC • President Obama
  1. ghost

and more from the prof:

So he’s looking at my ID, he asked me another question, which I refused to answer. And I said I want your name and your badge number because I want to file a complaint because of the way he had treated me at the front door. He didn’t say, ‘Excuse me, sir, is there a disturbance here, is this your house?’—he demanded that I step out on the porch, and I don’t think he would have done that if I was a white person.
    But at that point, I realized that I was in danger. And so I said to him that I want your name, and I want your badge number and I said it repeatedly.
    TR: How did this escalate? What are the laws in Cambridge that govern this kind of interaction? Did you ever think you were in the wrong?
    HLG: The police report says I was engaged in loud and tumultuous behavior. That’s a joke. Because I have a severe bronchial infection which I contracted in China and for which I was treated and have a doctor’s report from the Peninsula hotel in Beijing. So I couldn’t have yelled. I can’t yell even today, I’m not fully cured.

July 23, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Annette

The NRCC are opportuntist, that prey on scraps of trash that fall on the ground and try to make a case out of it. Now, you have a governor lying to his staff, cheated on his wife, out of communication for an extended time and did let his senior staff know where he was, nor did he return any call. Sen. Ensign and his family paying off his mistress to keep silent and these are the kind of people still in office. NRCC before you go into someone else backyard and talk trash, go clean up the trash lingering in your own backyard.

The President was absolutely right in saying what he said. The NRCC is exploiting this situation as they do very well. Never mind supporting something meanful for poor down trodden, those struggling to maintain a living and healthcare, they want to toss trash around to gain political points from those who are insecure and vulnerable to this kind of foolishness. Shame on you NRCC.

July 23, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. Dixie (non-whistling)

Oh, how I wish people knew the difference between an adjective and an adverb!
    President Obama gave an authentic, well-presented response to loaded question. He never called anyone "stupid," but so many have "stupidly" misquoted and misinterpreted one word out of an entire response, but that's what makes news sensational (ly), right?

July 23, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Zero.

There will be security on that mans house now.

July 23, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Lisa P

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill! But then I guess the NRCC has every reason to try to distract us form the real GOP-created mountains looming over us and ahead of us for the foreseeable future. Economic crisis? Health care crisis? Mortgage crisis? Two unwinnable wars? American prestige at a low ebb? Corporate corruption? Balance of trade out of whack? States going broke? Record Federal deficits?

No, no - look over there! The President thinks that maybe something's wrong when three police officers arrest an unarmed elderly man in his own home for being an obnoxious uncooperative jerk! Heavens forbid! Commence jaw flapping... now!

The really funny thing about this is that if the situation were slightly different the GOP would find no end of outrage that Professor Gates' home was violated by the heavy handed forces of the law. If only Prof. Gates were white, and a gun owner. Go figure.

July 23, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. Rick

I agree with Obama and I'm a white man. If that was a white guy doing that nothing would be said.

July 23, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Randi L.

A police officer friend once told me, "Some officers pour water on a fire and some officers pour gas on a fire."

It appears here that Officer Crowley wasn't expecting a fire, but when he found one he poured gas on it by refusing to identify himself and arresting a homeowner on the man's own property. Maybe it developed so quickly and unexpectedly that he didn't have time to think about it. I don't know.

July 23, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |