July 24th, 2009

Cornyn to vote no on Sotomayor

Sen. John Cornyn said Friday that he would vote no to confirm Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court.

(CNN) - Texas Republican John Cornyn, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, announced Friday he would vote no to confirm Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor.

The former Texas State Supreme Court justice questioned Sotomayor's "objectivity and neutrality" given a string of court rulings and her past statements.

"I went into the hearing with an open mind. I felt she deserved the opportunity to explain how she approached some of the most controversial cases on which she's ruled and put her public statements in context," he said.

"At the end of the hearing I found myself wondering who is the real Judge Sonia Sotomayor," Cornyn said.

Earlier in the week, South Carolina Republican Lindsey Graham became the first Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee to announce he would support Sotomayor. In all, five Republicans have said they will vote to confirm Obama's choice for the high court.

Filed under: John Cornyn • Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. ANGIE

who cares. he votes no on everything since the village idiot has left the building.

July 24, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. I went into the hearing with an open mind.

nothing about the GOP is open

July 24, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. Randi

"I went into the hearing with an open mind..." Bullcrap.

July 24, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Sniffit

Yawn. To be expected. I mean, it's TX....'nuff said.

July 24, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. Sandy

John Cornyn hasn't had an open mind since before his skull fused as a child.

July 24, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  6. Sniffit

Hmmm...he appears to have seceded from rational thought....

July 24, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. TCM

Everyone should vote no; her record of >60% of her cases being overturned by superior courts is absolutely pathetic....just think if you only did your job right 40% of the time..how long would you stay employed (excluding Obama and his cabinet)??

The absolutely ONLY reason she's being considered is for her race; period. Obama wants to buy the hispanic vote, and is virtually slapping the faces of all hispanics by picking a substandard performer merely because she fits the race profile...he's more or less saying that "hispanics couldn't possibly measure up..."

July 24, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Sen. Cornyn is not a bright guy. He's a senator from a state where majority of the population is hispanic and he's going to vote against Judge Sotomayor. That's political suicide and stupid.

July 24, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  9. amarillo.tony

everyone in Texas knows how open minded Sen. Cornyn has always been.

July 24, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. Larry

No prob Big John. We don't need your vote anyway.

Hope you made whatever political statement you were trying to make.

What's it like to cast a vote knowing that it's not going to matter?

July 24, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. Lisa, Saugus MA

Sen Cornyn doesn't understand that this particular vote really isn't going to change the courts make-up this time. She would be replacing a liberal leaning judge.

Besides she has the votes and I think would do a good job in the court.

July 24, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. carlo

Anyone surprised? What a loser. I hope the Latino population is Texas is paying attention.

July 24, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. justin

Oh my God – A white Texan doesn't think a Latino woman should be doing anything but cleaning his house.

July 24, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. jobo2612

Cornyn's mind is open like Fort Knox.

July 24, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. JB - NYC

Look everyone.. A senator not afraid of being coerced into voting for a racist..

I didnt think they existed.. Never see that in my state..

July 24, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. RR

Sotomayor said she wasn't sure the 2nd Amendment applied to the states, so the question must be asked: What other parts of the Bill of Rights does she not think apply to the states?

She should NOT be seated on the SCOTUS if she isn't sure the Bill of Rights applies to the states.

July 24, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. Florida Joe

I for one am SHOCKED that he will vote against her............NO KIDDING..........He knew that before the hearings........Must be why the Repubs delayed an extra week so Johnny could make up his mind

July 24, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Graham Rutman

Texas really needs to form its own government and seceed.

July 24, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. Bev - NYC

No shocking new here, considering Cronyn was on record before the hearing saying he would vote No. Apparently he had built here up as some ogre, now that we have all seen her responses and she is proven to be a reasonable, sensible jurist who happens to be proud of a heritage now she had a split personality that he can't vote for. You Mr. Cronyn and others with your subtle racistism aren't fooling anyone. If a no vote makes you feel like a big man then so be it.

July 24, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Get Real

Another old white Repub man not voting for her...color me SURPRISED!

July 24, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  21. Kelby In Houston, TX

Well, I know who the real John Cornyn is. John Cornyn is a Bush crony and I can't wait to help get him out of office. The mayor of Houston Bill White is rumored to run for senate in The Great State of Texas, and I plan on campaigning for him. I hope we can get two dems from Texas in the senate

July 24, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. Ben in Texas

Another NO from my NO senator, John NO Cornyn. Here are some others:

NO ethics
    NO reason to vote against Sotomayor (at least, not one he would own up to)
    NO concern for the people of Texas
    NO constructive ideas

Ah, but does he say YES to big business lobbyists! You betcha, John!

July 24, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  23. Stephanie

Cornyn has NEVER displayed "objectivity" and neutrality"; he is a hard line party parrot and to pretend otherwise is ridiculously false.

July 24, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  24. Fred the Moderate

Wow, someone from Texas would say that?

July 24, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  25. Eddie

Of course he is voting no. Any suggestion that man does not play partisan politics every moment he is breathing is a fantasy. He has disappointed me again and again. And yes, he is my senator and nothing infuriates me more than that fact.

Eddie,