July 24th, 2009

Key conservative Democrat urges health care slowdown

Rep. Mike Ross said Friday he wants a slowdown on health care reform.
Rep. Mike Ross said Friday he wants a slowdown on health care reform.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A leader of an influential group of conservative House Democrats urged congressional leaders to slow the pace of health care deliberations Friday.

Arkansas Rep. Mike Ross, a key member of the fiscally conservative Blue Dog coalition, said he remains concerned that the legislation currently being pushed through Congress does not do enough to rein in spiraling medical costs.

Ross' comments came a day after the top Democrat in the U.S. Senate said the chamber won't vote on a health care reform bill until after the upcoming August recess.

The announcement by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada went against President Barack Obama's stated timetable for both the House and Senate to turn out bills by the August break.

Obama is slated to discuss health care Friday in a meeting with Reid and Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Montana.

"This is fundamental change that's going to effect all 300 million people in America," Ross said on CNN's "American Morning."

"Let's not rush it. Let's slow down. Let's get it right and ensure that the American people get the kind of health care that they need and deserve."

The bill as currently drafted "doesn't do nearly enough to contain those costs (and) get after the kind of fundamental reforms and changes that we need in how we deliver and pay for health care," he said.

Ross complained that this is "a bill that's supposed to be about containing costs, and yet we're still waiting (to learn) the cost for the current House bill. (It's) like asking us to balance the budget when we don't know what the budget is. And so we need to slow down."

Filed under: Health care • Mike Ross
  1. Anny

You Blue Dogs are nothing but republicans.........we do not need to slow down.....to the people suffering with medical illnesses need it now ....... not next week or next month or in the fall they need it now.......I hope everyone of you who say you are democrats will not get elected again......

July 24, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. PA Voter

I'm glad to see some Democrats taking over what the Republicans should be doing if they were interested in governing instead of setting up and knocking down straw men. Health care is vital, but it's just as important they look at the plan and do it right. If they rush it through and screw something up, the GOP will make sure it's the end of any kind of public option for the foreseeable future! I can wait a few extra months to ensure the long haul.

July 24, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. J.C.

If no public option is included in the reform bill, the reform is a joke. We absolutely have to have a public plan, which is made available to every citizen. Everyone should make contributions based on their incomes.

July 24, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Predicta

Health Care reform is now dead. The longer it goes, the less likely the political will to get it passed.

July 24, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. JK Ashburn, VA

I just love you political morons who refer to these blue-dogs as Republicans in sheeps clothing and hope they will not get re-elected. They are what they are because they are Democrats who happen, in most cases, to represent otherwise Republican districts. So, if they don't vote in some moderate or even conservative way, you'll get your wish - they won't get re-elected. And then a Republican will win the seat.

And if you do the math, you'll discover that if the blue dogs are all replaced by Republicans, the Republicans will take over the House of Twits, er, I mean Representatives because there are simply (thankfully) not that many liberals willing to vote like liberals.

July 24, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. arlene,CA

I am sick of these blue dogs & all of the repubs. They have their confortable cushy jobs, the best health care available for themselves & their kids & spouse that is paid for by me & the rest of the tax payers. They do not see anything wrong in letting tax payers pay for their health care. If they are so against it, why don't they give up their tax payer paid health care, that would be more convencing to me. I have not heard them saying that would be an option.

July 24, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. Andy

Why can't the democrats unite and align themselves with the President? Republicans aligned themselves with George Bush even when they didn't agree with him. I hope some day soon, we will see more aprty unity amonmg the Dems.

God Bless America!!!

July 24, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. JGB

Melissa – Geez, do you have any brains in your head or are you waiting for health coverage to get that brain transplant? They need to slow down and do it right. To rush and pass this disaster of a plan has very serious consequences.

July 24, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. Nashville Cat

I love it when people compare national initiatives in the US to any of a number of random, tiny, European countries. Paul in FL wants us to study what works in Sweden, I'll tell you what works in Sweden: a population of less than 10 million, 82% of the population from the same ethnic group (makes a difference when talking about health issues), a land mass of less than 200k sq miles, and a per capita income of about $53k USD. Next argument...

July 24, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. Andy

Why can't the democrats unite and align themselves with the President? Republicans aligned themselves with George Bush even when they didn't agree with him. I hope some day soon, we will see more party unity among the Dems.

God Bless America!!!

July 24, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. Jen in Minnesota

Shame on all of you!!!!!!!! Not one of you is mentioning that this poor man is in pain, afraid and has an undetermined future. What the heck, where is your compassion? This is not a story about government of healthcare bill, its about a person.

Where is the fund for this man, I'll gladly give something to help him – I'll find a dollar. I offer him a long distance hug as a mother who is deeply saddened by the story and this man's struggle and his family's struggle as they are powerless.

Re-read this story and then all of your posts....you should all crawl back into your hole and get back to work. If you cannot lift a spirit or write something meaningful, get away for the keyboard.

July 24, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Ken

Obama will have no part of a slow-down. Any effort to let the people understand what the government is up to will not be welcomed.

July 24, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. M-AZ

Key Democrats my eye...key Republicans is what they really are.

July 24, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. Rick

Maybe Mike Ross would like to give up his blue ribbon health insurance while he slows down this legislation to "get it right" for the rest of us.

No? Didn't think so, Mike.

July 24, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Pepou

Another loser who doesn't have a clue on what is really needed in this country. Shame.

July 24, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. Milo in Atlanta

Why are there conservative Democrats?

July 24, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. Steve (the real one)

As I said yesterday, those who are relentlessly pushing this and those who have a vote had better READ EVERY WORD in this bill, BEFORE VOTING! If you can't tell me what in it, you can't tell me this will be good for either me or the nation! Take your word for it? NO THANKS! This country still has burn marks from BOTH parties! No more speeches, no more selling! EXPLAIN WHAT IS IN THIS BILL!
    Love how you now hate the blue dogs. I guess you want mindless sheep instead of folks who can make up their own minds. You libs complain how the repubs march in lockstep (which is an absolute lie) but that is exactly what you are looking for in your party! Prove me wrong!

July 24, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  18. mfelder

When you step in front of that podium, please have something constructive to add to the healthcare conversation. We are not interested in hearing how difficult this process is, we understand that fact. We send you knuckle heads to congress to address those complex issues. What do you need to see in the bill. Those are the things we would like to hear you address when you step in front of that podium. Stop whining and get it done.

July 24, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  19. betty in Arizona

Congress takes a month vacation, gets the best health insurance, votes themselves pay raises, do not pay income tax of any kind. If they had to actually work in the private sector they would not make it to the 90 days probation period. Yet we keep electing them election after election. We need to come to our senses and vote out the ones who do not do the work they were elected by us to do. Most of them are spending way to much time in front of the cameras instead of behind the scenes at their desks doing the peoples work.
    TERM LIMITS, nay not in my life time.

July 24, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  20. Seth

These Blue-Dog Democrats are taking th wrong position, if the country wanted Republican policies, they would have voted for a real Republican and if they continue to obstruct then a real Democrat will be running against them next year.
    What they don't understand is that people are ready for health care and they along with the republicans will be blamed for it's failure.

July 24, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  21. CNN=Moveon.org

I love watching the democrat party splinter in to two factions. It is also entertaining to see liberals cry over it. Conservatives are controlling the democrats in the house it sounds like.

July 24, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. Emma

Rep. Moss you sound like a Republican. Isn't that their line?

July 24, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  23. Seth

We are the only industrialized country that refuses to give our people proper health care.
    I want the below things:
    1. Freedom to resign/fired/laid-off from my job and not have to worry about my family health care.
    2. Freedom to decide to start a new small business and not to be afraid to leave my old job because of health care.
    3. Freedom from worrying about a pre-existing condition causing me to lose/denied health insurance.
    4. freedom to ask my boss for a raise and not hear that my health insurance cost is too large for me to get a decent raise.
    5. Freedom from having to worry about insurance status when I am out of State.
    I am an American dammit, I shouldn't be nickled and dimes when it comes to the health of me and my family.

July 24, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. forwardgal

Frankly, the dems who oppose moving quickly on this issue are mostly from the south.....the SLOWEST place in the world to get anything done! Aren't they the states that never get much done at all? No surprise there.....I say too bad; suck it up and get it done...you've been working on this problem for too many years to say we're moving too fast. What a joke!!! They just want to look important and act like they are protecting constituents....another joke! They have great coverage, don't they? Yeah. They love yanking around their own states' citizens and think it's okay to yank around the rest of us. NO WAY! Get this issue done now. If it needs tweaking, so be it....later.

July 24, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  25. smith

At least Obama is trying to do somethinig to average American. What "W" did for you avarage Joes for the last 8 years? If you are an avearge American and not supporting health care reform, then it must be something wrong with you. Good news is that you may be able to qualify for the brain replacement surgery, under Obama plan.

July 24, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |