July 24th, 2009

Obama to hit the trail in Virginia

President Obama will be hitting the campaign trail in August for fellow Democrat Creigh Deeds.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama's heading back on the campaign trail next month, this time for fellow Democrat Creigh Deeds.

The White House and the Deeds campaign confirmed Friday that the president will team up with Virginia's Democratic gubernatorial candidate on Thursday, August 6 at a fundraiser and separate public event in McLean, Virginia.

This will be Obama's second campaign event since taking over as president in January. Last week, the president teamed up with New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, who faces a tough re-election battle this year, at a campaign rally in the Garden State.

On the same day Obama was stumping for Corzine, Vice President Joe Biden headlined a fundraiser in Richmond, Virignia for Deeds. The state senator is locked in what polls suggest is a dead heat with Republican candidate Bob McDonnell, the former state attorney general. Virginia's incumbent governor, Democrat Tim Kaine, is term-limited and can't run for re-election.

While both gubernatorial contests will focus on state issues and the strengths of the candidates, national Republicans would like to make both races a referendum on Obama and the Democratic Party, since both seats are currently held by Democrats.

Filed under: Creigh Deeds • President Obama
  1. Zero.

It would be more humbling for Obama, to go to the Coppers home and have a coffee..

July 24, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Welcome back to the Old Dominion Mr. President. Mr. Deeds needs all the help he can get.

July 24, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. Luke Brown

Deeds is a terrific guy. Much more appealing than either Warner or Kaine.

July 24, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Kevin in Ohio

Campaigning again! Why is this news?

July 24, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. Just a Mom

Does anyone know exactly how many hours President Obama has spent campaigning (for the bills he wants passed, and other dems) since he took office? Yes, the infomercials that we keep seeing on TV, are nothing more than campaigning for a product. Making a sale.
    Campaigning for fellow dems, is the same as trying to sell a human product. In a nut shell it is selling a product. So, president Obama is a "Salesman"!
    Still would love to know the total amount of time he is/has spent being a "Salesman".
    Anyone know? Anyone?

July 24, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. dennis

I got an idea why doesn't he start taxing people who drive foriegn vehicles.. This should be concidered. No different than his health plan--– more money for us to spend.

July 24, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  7. NVa Native

Obama and Deeds are a good match.
    For McDonnell to have a good match he would need Pat Robertson, Sarah Palin, Rush, or Dick Cheney to be a true representation of his selfrighteous combination of arrogance of ignorrance.
    But you won't see those hypocrites with McDonnell as knows if the general public knew of his radical religious and social beliefs the general population would reject him completely.

July 24, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  8. Active Duty Democrat

Wish I could be in VA right now...miss VA a lil bit...

July 24, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. Jon in VA

Living in Richmond, Deeds stumping is quite less than McDonnell. Deeds is not raising the funds Mcdonnell is at the moment. The feeling I have is while VA ended up blue last Nov. VA by district is very much red. You have 4 clusters of blue with high populations surrounded by the rural red. These blues areas are not reliable for voter turnouts. Obama sparked them to vote and the numbers showed it. Deeds does not have that. Also many positions between McDonnell and Deeds are pretty similiar. Also hurting Deeds is Kaine. When Kaine was voted in he was on the heels of Warner, now our senator. We loved Warner and we were sad he did not run for president. He was a Dem and did what was right for the Commonwealth. His word was gold. Kaine has been a nothing governor, not bad not good just a time lasp. I think this election will show how red VA still is. I for one will like when the debates start happening, they should be good.

July 24, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. JGB

Campaigner in Chief is at it again. Didn't we elect Obama to work for us and not them? Guess he's doing the only thing he knows how......campaign.

July 24, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Emma

We need Democrats who are NOT Blue Dogs.................we can't find any of them with b@#$lls to vote the way the American people voted for them. I will actively support any other Democrat who decides to run against them.

Just remember you Blue Dogs, WE VOTE!

Did you hear me Deeds? Earn my vote.

July 24, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. matt

He needs to fix this country and stop campaigning

July 24, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Tony in Largo

• Republican pundits and those GOP Senators and Congressmen employed by the electorate are making one huge blunder which is obvious to everyone who hears and reads their comments. The error is that they oppose everything that the Democrats try to do. That’s the political equivalent of “crying wolf” all the time, and it’ll continue to haunt them for as long as they keep doing it.
    The problem with the boy who “cried wolf” at the wrong time, was that he lost credibility with everyone. Such is the case with the GOP minority on Capitol Hill on Health Care Reform. In this case they shouldn’t be crying wolf about a Health Care System that’ll benefit millions of Americans, but they should’ve cried wolf when Bush invaded Iraq on the false pretenses of Weapons of Mass Destruction. They are not to be believed for sitting back like patsies when spending nearly a Trillion Dollars in Iraq while they balk at spending that same amount on America’s Health!!!! ….and by the way, until just recently, they were opposing the stimulus package, but it seems to be working, so now they trying to derail this other constructive initiative. The GOP top brass not only has it wrong economically and financially, they also have it wrong Politically.

July 24, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Truthandlight

Heck of lot better stumper than president.

July 24, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. yuri

Grab Virginia with all your might, BHO. These days we are really scared of the GOPs since they all sing anti-healthcare chorus, continuously, oblivious of the sufferings of uninsured cancer patients. We consider them as political terrorists.

July 24, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. Gator

He needs to hit the trail, his approval ratings are gettin thin. Maybe the leg tingling and the kool aid is wearing off. That or the smoke screen is dissipating fast.

July 24, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  17. Senorfrog

Si' he a lot better stump jumper than he is a president.

July 24, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. Mississippi Mike

When all else fails, hit the campaign trail. With how well everything else has been working out for Obama lately, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my political campaign.

July 24, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Kate in SW Fla

I think that all Presidents campaign for their party's candidates all around the country, and always have. President Bush did it all the time. I remember him coming to a rally in my area and saying that a vote for a Democrat and the terroists win. Very poor english, granted, but I got the point and have never forgotten it. I have been a Democrat all my life. I put myself through college, have worked my entire life, except when my children were small, go to church, pay my taxes, have never asked for a handout and love my country as much as any Republican does. My father, my MOTHER, my brother and my husband all served in uniform for this country, and all during a time of war. My high school sweetheart was killed in Nam. But former President Bush, while out campaigning, accused me and my family of supporting terrorists. Obama may get out on the trail too, and I hope he does, but he will not be challenging anyone's patriotism. I do think he misspoke about Officer Crowley, but he will help turn this incident int a "teachable moment." Bush, on the other hand, never apologized to me or all the millions of other Democrats.

July 24, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Working Class American

@ Just a Mom

Yeah, I know how many hours he's spent campaigning since he took office . . . . . a fraction of the hours George W. Bush spent being on vacation, that's how many hours!

Campaigning, believe it or not Mom, IS a part of his job!

July 24, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Brandy

Don't forget to take your tele(CRS)prompter!!!!!

July 24, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. Mark L.

Creigh Deeds – ALL THE WAY !! It's time to, once again, take the GOP down !! If it were truly up to the GOP / Republicans, this country would be run like a facist dictatorship !!

July 24, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. Maria - Proud Democrat

I wish my President would spent more time working on the important issues at hand...JOBS~ECONOMY~HOME FORECLOSURES and spend less time campaigning around our nation.

If he and Biden were totally focused on our current problems, I believe we would be closer to solving these issues.

Let the DNC Chairman handle the campaigning.......

July 24, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  24. Limit Congressmen, Representatives, Senators to two terms like the President!!!

Virginians take notice and give this man a message. His prepared glib tongue that is forked will not take you down the road to ruination.

July 24, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  25. Fla.

JGB

You unfortunately appear to "at it again" with the talking points/rhetoric. Was the same standard applied when President Bush campaigned with his colleagues?

Anyway, Godspeed to the moderate candidate, Deed.

July 24, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |