July 25th, 2009

Pelosi: When I take health care bill to the floor, 'it will win'

Watch Speaker Pelosi's entire interview Sunday on State of the Union, beginning at 9 a.m. Eastern time.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – In a wide-ranging interview set to air Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi predicted success in her chamber on health care reform legislation.

“We believe that we have a good bill,” Pelosi tells CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

“This isn’t about rushing,” the leading Democrat says amid criticism from Republicans that her party is trying to rush through massive changes to a sector that makes up a sixth of the U.S. economy.

Related: GOP ratchets up health care reform debate

Pelosi also tells King that two of the three House committees with jurisdiction over the reform legislation have already reported out a bill. Some Democrats are taking issue with the inclusion of a public insurance option in the legislation. But, Pelosi notes, the public option has “overwhelming support” of the House Democratic Caucus as a whole.

Related: House Democrats splinter over health care

“It’s the Speaker’s job sometimes,” King told Pelosi, “to referee disputes within the family. Are you worried your family is coming apart on this and that you might not have the votes on the floor?”

“Absolutely, positively not,” Pelosi responded. “When I take this bill to the floor, it will win.”

Pelosi also weighed in on the recent controversy surrounding the arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Junior, calling it “an unfortunate incident.”

She said, “With all due respect to the police officer involved, and the professor, who was affected by it, it didn’t turn out the way it should have.”

Pelosi also refused to be critical of President Obama who initially said during a primetime press conference Wednesday that the police who arrested Gates had “acted stupidly.”

“I think that the president of the United States has great respect for those who - public safety is our first responsibility as elected officials, public safety and the national security of our country,” Pelosi said of Obama. “Nobody carries that burden greater - in a greater way than the president of the United States,” the Speaker added.

Obama made a surprise appearance at Friday’s White House press briefing to address the burgeoning firestorm surrounding his initial reaction to the Gates arrest.

Related: I didn't mean to slight Cambridge policy, Obama says

The president acknowledged that his words "helped to contribute to ratcheting" up the situation when he criticized the manner in which Sgt. James Crowley arrested Gates.

"I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt. Crowley specifically," Obama told reporters. "I could have calibrated those words differently, and I told this to Sgt. Crowley."

Filed under: Health care • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. DJ

I am glad she is a dem. Every time I see or hear her, my hair stands up on the back of my neck. Talk about someone who is out of touch with reality and the public. She needs to be sent packing home. What a loser!

July 25, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. chad

I wonder why Pelosi does not bother to check the pulse of the American public before she tries to stuff this down our throat? I think she would have a different opinion of what we, as Americans, really want!

July 25, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. inuk of the north

In a poll completed a few weeks ago, Pelosi's approval rating was lower than Dick Cheney's.

It should occur to Nancy that her Dem policies are starting to have a bad odor and voters are reacting. Not everyone wants the country to be run like California.

July 25, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  4. TCM

yeah...Pelosi will win, the the United States of True Americans will lose...

July 25, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Bill

Hmmm.....Wonder if the speaker would be willing to bet her job on it?

July 25, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  6. John T

Ms. Pelozi is about the worst leader a party could have. She is the root of 90% of our bi-partisan problem. Her assertion that the bill will win is nonsense. She should speak with the other democrats so she actually has some insight rather than spew out some isolated opinion similar to how the president does. As a democrat, I say the bill is not ready! Too much cost and no way to pay for it properly.

July 25, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. Brandon

Remember, when it comes to Pelosi and the rest of her crew(Pres included) its not about what the voting public wants, its about what they think we "need."

July 25, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Kathleen Hurst

I feel like I am living in a socialistic state... not the United States of America... I want my country back!!! I am ashamed of what we as a country have become.

July 25, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Lauren

Of course Nancy hasn't read the bill. This is a woman who just said she was rushing this bill through for the sake of the "500 million Americans out of work." If she doesn't know the entire population is less than that, she sure as heck hasn't read a 1100 page bill.

July 25, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. European-American

Majority in the house.
    Filibuster proof Senate.
    Democrat President.
    Blame the GOP when things do not get done?

July 25, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. The power be with you

I hope so.

July 25, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. B

I can not believe CNN uses John King in this roll. He is hugely partisan and definitely has a strong Republican bias. He belongs on Fox News...

July 25, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Jay T.

Whichever party finally delivers healthcare, wins an entire generation. That is why the Repubs are so afraid. They'd rather waste trillions blowing stuff up.

July 25, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. CHI-WHALLA

More than 90% of these posts are paid Trolls of the "GOP" Neocons. The same ones crying fowl, yet wants healthcare when they are no longer covered.

Just wait until you loose your job and you all will start crying for help. You are the same people who will Uncle when all doors are closed.

I will be laughing at your arrogance and the way CNN made sure they only placed posts for the Neocons. Cnn is fast becoming FAUX blues!

July 25, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. BoBo

Do we really want the same Government that has run Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security into the ground to be in charge of Universal Health Care?! If you think you pay a lot for health insurance now, wait until it's FREE!

July 25, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Dennis

I think Nancy is delusional. Is she not aware of the Blue Dog Democrats?

July 25, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  17. JSL

HEALTH CARE FOR WALL STREET!
    SAVE OUR BANKS!

Come on everyone...Join in?!

July 25, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. Independent_me

Well thank God for that reassurance, Nancy!
    The Republican moles (so-called Blue Dog Democrats) seem to be working on the Republicans' behalf on this. Americans need and want a public option! We hope that you get it done..else many of you will be out of office!

July 25, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |