July 26th, 2009

Axelrod: I'm not thinking about Palin's next move

WASHINGTON (CNN) – David Axelrod, one of President Obama’s most trusted political advisers, said Sunday that he does not spend time thinking about what Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin might do next.

“I can tell you with absolutely honesty,” Axelrod said Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union, “that when I sit around with my political friends . . . there’s very little or no discussion of Sarah Palin.”

“And I really have no idea what Gov. Palin is going to do,” the Obama aide told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. “She’s entering private life now. We wish her well and it’s up to her to decide what role she’s going to play in the future. She’s got plenty of advice, I’m sure. She doesn’t need mine.”

After making a surprise announcement late last month that she would be stepping down, Palin is set to transfer power to her lieutenant governor on Sunday amid speculation that her bombshell move is intended to lay the groundwork for a White House run in 2012.

1. ProfPaul

Please Sarah be the face of the Republican Party. And its brains :o) Please Sarah run, get the nomination. Please.
    Yeah, she's exactly what the Democratic... oops, I mean Republican Party needs. Run, Sarah, run.

July 26, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. mh

"She attributed the decision to tremendous pressure, time and the financial burden of a litany of ethics complaints in the past several months" Welch, CNN

NUFF SAID? By her own admission, - she can't take the pressure, she can't manage her time, and the ETHICS complaints against her have become overwhelming and by "getting out", imo, she "hopes that what-ever she has done will now be ignored in the interest of her state "moving FORWARD" ,-because she is gone-–
    --or has she made that deal?

July 26, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. joel palmer

David Axelrod is spot on; maybe if we ignore her she will go away for good.

It is easy to forget that this woman got by solely on her looks; there is no substance to her whatsoever. No brains; no thoughts; no center; just mindless far right, fundamentalist buzz words and talking points.

So long SP! you betcha (wink)

July 26, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. Alicia

@ Susan B.......LOL

Yeah Sarah is all that. She especially has the sparkle in her eyes when she sees Russia from her porch. The woman could not even give basic history answers about VP duties to a 4th grader.

I am glad he considers her irrelevant.

July 26, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. Ken in NC

Why should he be concerned about what Palin is going to do when she doesn't have a clue herself? Palin has a knock for waiting until the last minute to make decisions. She tends to think the world is going to wait until it is to late to make decisions. She is not a very organized person.

July 26, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. Jane Jones

The reason the LIberals abuse Palin is that they are scared of her because: PALIN CONNECTS WITH THE PEOPLE.
    Jane J
    WI

July 26, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  7. Maximus

To every one planning to die before 2012, please pospone your death to a different date. Sarah palin, they say, is running for president in 2012, Imagine all the laughter, and jokes, and ironies, and ridicules, and stupidities that will characterize that election. Don't die now and miss that event, you will die laughing anyway; at least you'll get a last laugh.

July 26, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  8. Jack Johnson

Crooks don't like the fact that Palin CLEANED UP ALASKA, puttting both parties in jail for their corruption.
    Decent and good people want decent and good people as our leaders – crooks do not want that.
    Jack J
    Co

July 26, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. Jake c

Wow, can we ever see how scared the liberal loons are of Palin – she's on the move. Independents are going to kick the bums out in 2012.
    Jake
    CA

July 26, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  10. James Jack

Sarah Palin CONNECTS WITH THE PEOPLE , and the far left are scared of her – it is so obvious. They should be as she is on the move.
    James J
    ND

July 26, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  11. Steve. NC

Susan B. Arnold, you are right that Sara P. is unique. Never has there been a candidate for V.P. on either side of the aisle who has known so little on so many subjects. The problem is that she does not know WHAT she does not know.

July 26, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. dan, MI

Sarah, I wish you well. I will be your lifetime supporter. You have been great. Unfortunately this world is an ugly place especially when we have inexperienced leaders wasting our tax-payers money. Anyway American people will teach them lesson sooner than later. Only tragedy is that people voted for this radical president and we have gone 10-15 years backwards. We will need more time to clean up the mess but I have faith in American people and new leaders who will be elected in 2010 and 2012.

July 26, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  13. Norah G

41 % of Americans are now Independents – guess who is aware of that? Intelligent people and someone from Alaska.
    Norah G
    Michigan

July 26, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  14. Jill, FL

The Dems aren't afraid of Sarah, but we are afraid of the stupididity of some Americans. The fact that she was selected by John McCain and came so close to perhaps being president, if something happened to him was irresponsible at best, and dangerous on any level.

The woman does not have the capability of running this country or any country I would say. McCain has backed away from her gracefully, but you still have irresponsible Americans pushing Sarah on the rest of us.

Thank God most Americans came to their senses. Whether you are a Dem or a GOPer, you have to believe the country should come first. If I had my choice between and inept Democratic candidate and a GOPer who was more qualified, I would vote Republican. The country should always come first.

July 26, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  15. B Lewis in Austin

I find it amazing that the folks who think that Palin "hung the moon" base it on a few "gee whiz" speeches she made early on. Keep in mind that she read these from a teleprompter and who knows who wrote the speeches. When she was left on her own (interviews with Gibson and Couric), she bombed. She just doesn't seem to have the politcal chops to get the job done.

July 26, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  16. Annie, Atlanta

See what I said about "Liberals are afraid of Palin" being a republican talking point. As I was typing my earlier response, 2 more people posted that we're afraid of her. Once again, fear has nothing to do with it. It's the comedic relief we're looking for.

July 26, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. Steven

I'm sure Sarah Palin is in tears because Axelrod and the other cretins don't spend their time thinking or talking about her... why do idiots always like to flatter themselves?

July 26, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  18. RUForReal

Ever notice how all the comments supporting Palin are signed off in the same way ....?

It's funny how conservatives/republicans can only talk about "fear". I understand it's an easy and effective way to control large groups of people, but really, don't you worry about your mantra growing tiresome?

Speaking for myself, the only thing I "fear" about Sarah Palin is the support she has been able to garner based on her perceived authenticity. I have never seen or heard a single comment from ANYONE that offered evidence of any issue about which she is actually informed. Her attempts to show her "expertise" on energy are laughable. She has added nothing to any debate, and this doesn't bother her or her supporters one bit. So "afraid"? Sure - of what the underbelly of my country is turning into.

July 26, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  19. Kate

Whatever you think of Sarah Palin's political views, it is impossible to ignore that she is very ignorant about the world, she took seven years from four or five schools to get a degree, she's has little experience, her ethics have been constantly under investigation, she has poor judgment, and she, most importantly, she bailed on the job that she was elected to do. She is incompetent.

It is ludicrous to even mention her with regard to the presidency. It boggles the mind to think that anyone, even if they agreed with her politics, would consider her capable of any kind of higher office!

July 26, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. Poker_Person

Her core believes are very similar to mine and a lot of other Americans. That makes her very relevant and cause for concern to some. It is time for the people to choose a leader, not the media as was the case in the last election.

PS. See what happens when we allow the media to shape the outcome of an election.

July 26, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  21. lynn in NM

I'm glad he isn't giving her any advice. I'm sure she wouldn't take it. She has a brain of hre own.

July 26, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  22. bam

The reason nobody knows what Palin is going to do next is because Palin doesn't know what she's going to do next. The offers she expected have not exactly been pouring in.

How many political candidates – Republican or Democrat – want Palin to campaign for them? Well, maybe Rick Perry and his Texas secessionist supporters.

Any candidates who are courting moderates will not want Palin around.

July 26, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. Greg Greenman

It's disturbing to think that anyone would elect Sarah Palin. My 15 year old daughter can match wits with this lady. i don't want a person who is just like me as the president. I want someone smarter, more logical, more informed than I am. What's incredible is this. Now listen closely, Republicans claim that John Mccain was not a real republican, but yet they voted for him to become the republican presidential nominee. How incredibly stupid is that. I hear it all the time from my republican friends how John was not really their first choice. Umm then why did you vote for him. Now comes Sarah Palin. A candidate who barely made it out of college. A candidate with little to no knowledge about what was happening outside of Alaska. A candidate who was once part of an organization that wanted Alaska to secede from America. Repubs like to talk about our "Messiah" but in actuality the Repubs are the ones that first began touting him as that, and at the same time they show Sarah Palin the same type of jubilation and craze but no one mentions that she is a "messiah". Hypocrites.

July 26, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  24. georgio

How do you think gov. Palin would do in some of the press conferences President Obama has held to date?????.

July 26, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  25. Mike, FL

"Don't Pull Palin on Me" translates into "don't quit on me when the going is hard and tough"

She is just a quitter!