July 26th, 2009

Axelrod: I'm not thinking about Palin's next move

WASHINGTON (CNN) – David Axelrod, one of President Obama’s most trusted political advisers, said Sunday that he does not spend time thinking about what Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin might do next.

“I can tell you with absolutely honesty,” Axelrod said Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union, “that when I sit around with my political friends . . . there’s very little or no discussion of Sarah Palin.”

“And I really have no idea what Gov. Palin is going to do,” the Obama aide told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. “She’s entering private life now. We wish her well and it’s up to her to decide what role she’s going to play in the future. She’s got plenty of advice, I’m sure. She doesn’t need mine.”

After making a surprise announcement late last month that she would be stepping down, Palin is set to transfer power to her lieutenant governor on Sunday amid speculation that her bombshell move is intended to lay the groundwork for a White House run in 2012.

1. ModerateLady

Meow!!! How cattty Axelrod.

July 26, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. 4 and the door

With all of the problems any Political Advisor to Obama has now...he's got his little brain full just figuring out how to spin this Administration into looking like anything but the worst administration the country has ever seen. They can't get anything done but they keep starting new stuff. Yikes!

July 26, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. Willow

Yep, the hard work got to be too much–so she QUIT!

Is that what it takes to quit–too much hard work?

Tell that to the soldiers in the Middle East!

July 26, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. petena

I hope she runs. After all only dead fish go with the flow. She will flow like a dead fish.

July 26, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  5. Maximus

If Sarah can get enough support and votes to be elected president, she shall not fail to sell the position for her money.She shall set a deal beforehand with whomever she will pick as VP, and then resigns shortly after being elected to pass on the power.She knows she doesn't have the bravery, the knowledge and qualification. She is scared of critics, and she does not like opposition especially when her decisions are to be vetoed by the senate. She's no politician, but is using politics to survive.

July 26, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. Jerry

So is this to say the Liberals are feeling so high and mighty that they can offer advice, please spare me. After the advice Obama gave to the Cambridge police last week his ratings will be in a death spiral.

July 26, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  7. Dawn

The thought of Sarah Palin as a vice president was scary enough. As president? God help us!

July 26, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Denise

If your core beliefs align with Sarah the unethical, hypocritical liar, I feel just as sorry for you as I do for the ignorant, almost illiterate Sarah Palin.

July 26, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. cora

No one is afraid of what Sarah is going to do I dought any one really cares I no I don't , but the way the media protrays her it's sad, Alexrod said one thing and look at the head lines, it's something very wrong with the media. If the American people did not want her to be VP what makes you palin cheer leaders think she's going to be President.
    GET REAL

July 26, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. 60's survivor

Sarah is talk show caliber and nothing more. proof is in the discussions that occur everytime her name comes up in these "news" topics. blah blah blah and no substance. just gut feelings good or bad. no substance. nothing to balance a budget on or address world politics with. move on people. we keep wasting time. me included

July 26, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  11. twitwits are the new nitwits

Not even the media can make her look any smarter than she really is.She only follows the exxonmobil talking points to the letter.

July 26, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. Robert

The biggest favor these back woods GOP supporters can do for the Democratic is to please let Sarah Palin win the 2012 primary.

July 26, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  13. Donna from Colorado Springs

David Axelrod and the rest of the Obama team have far more important things to discuss and worry about than the future of a has-been former governor like Sarah Palin. Enough already about her!

July 26, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. Denise

The fact that "Sarah connects with the people" is undeniable. So is the stupidity of the people she connects with. She is so obviously inept to even be a governor she had to quit. She's so unethical that she can't get through a term as governor of the state that has fewer consituents than Austin, TX, folks!

Put on your thinking caps – see the clear picture here – she's just Sarah Pretty and Stupid.

July 26, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  15. Edwin

Maybe we could see an article on what Joe the Plumber thinks of Palin now? Come on, CNN, this is NOT NEWS! The fact that Axelrod does not spend time thinking about Palin is basically anti-news.

Maybe Palin is out of politics forever. Maybe she will write a best-selling book. Maybe she will jump into national politics and demonstrate a huge following. If she does one of these, she will again be news. But not now.

July 26, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  16. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

I believe Palin is getting out of office to raise money to pay her legal debts under the assumed guise of a candidate for higher office and at the eleventh hour will decide not run – after she has amassed huge money. Just watch.

Palin is going to see that the good ole boys of the GOP that supported her as VP-candidate will turn on her in a primary!

July 26, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. TL

Well, it is okay for any politicans to practice their faith and religion in their private lives. As soon as they use their religion as their political platform, whether it is consistent with my faith or other faith. They will loose my vote immediately. It scares to hell out of me to have religious nuts to run my life. Sarah Palin is one of the nuts.

July 26, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. Stephanie

Why is it when someone ANSWERS a question, people twist it so that they brought the subject on his/her own?? Like calling Axelrod "arrogant": why would a person who is busy working for the administration be even thinking about Sarah Palin?

Only the people who want Americans to be consumed constantly, like CNN, with the next election instead of working at the problems at hand would be wringing their hands about what might happen in three years.

July 26, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. GA Smith

As a life long Alaskan and a conservative voter I was extremely dissapointed in Governor Palins performance in just about every aspect of her time in office. She can speak to the ideas of social and fiscal conservative politics.....if you can understand her....but she simply isn't capable. Not at the state level and certainly not in the nations highest office. Careful what you wish for Palin supporters.

July 26, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. Nancy W.

We all hold our own beliefs, and as a Democrat I'm very open-minded, but Palin and her followers scare the living daylights out of me. In a nod to Greg Greenman, I enjoyed your post; and you're right. Obviously, for some, Palin's novelty has not worn off. And that's all she is: a pretty novelty lacking substance in all areas. And I agree with another poster about the fact that I want a leader who's smarter than me. I'm more qualified than Palin to run this country, except (whoa is me), I can't see Russia from my house.

July 26, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  21. babs, from california

I'm sick to death of the right wing nuts blaming EVERYTHING on "liberal media". what does that really mean, anyway. All the media outlets EXCEPT fox "news"? Get a clue. Is nothing your own problem? Seriously? Poor Sarah get shredded by the media becuase she's an idiot. I wish someone would advise her to drop off the face of the earth.

July 26, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. txleadhead

Give her a penny for her thuoghts + she'd allready be showing a profit.

July 26, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Rasta Mon

Palin be where de money at mon, what wrong with that she has a husband, and several children to support

July 26, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  24. Maximus

To those who say that the Dems are afraid of Sara Palin.
    No, we are not afraid of Sarah, but we are afraid of her becoming president. America will be like a glass plate in the hand of a child. Everybody will have to run for their live. Imagine a president who doesn't know where in the map is any country, she will bomb the wrong country for another and destroy her allies instead of her enemies. Pleeeeeaaaase. The hell with Sarah, we're not ready to die yet.

July 26, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. Clear

No one should exoect to see positive report from CNN on Palin.

July 26, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |