July 26th, 2009

Clinton: Obama has proven his toughness, international savvy

I think his performance in office has been incredible, Secretary of State Clinton said of President Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton is convinced.

After questioning Barack Obama's international savvy and toughness while campaigning against him last year, the secretary of state said Sunday she has seen plenty of both from the president so far.

"Those were appropriate issues to raise in the campaign," Clinton said Sunday on the NBC program "Meet the Press." She went on to declare: "I'm here to say that I think his performance in office has been incredible."

Asked specifically about her campaign criticisms, Clinton said, "I don't feel them at all" anymore.

She also said she has "moved on" from her loss to Obama in a hard-fought Democratic primary contest.

Last week in Asia, Clinton responded to a question about her presidential ambitions by saying she wasn't thinking about it now.

"I have absolutely no belief in my mind that is going to happen," she said Sunday of another possible presidential campaign. Clinton also acknowledged that the challenges facing a woman running for president are "daunting."

Updated: 1:16 p.m.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

At least Obama has proven he knows how to pay his political debts–to people like Hillary Clinton, to unions, to Nancy Pelosi...

July 26, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. makesUwonder

Well, I'll give Obama credit for "toughness while campaigning". Heck, not many people are good when it comes to keeping a poker face while campaigning.

July 26, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. Cammie

I didn't know Clinton was a comedian!

July 26, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. Dave in Illinois

What can she say after being bribed with the Secretary of State position. After giving up her Senate seat, she no longer has an independent power base to say anything but, "Sir, yes Sir".

July 26, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  5. Jane

Yep–Hilliary he's real tough...just bring on the powder puff stuff. Your image isn't doing us any favors either ==when North Korea calls you a schoolgirl and insults your intelligence. At least when Condi was in the position foreign gov's did not agree with her but she they respected her.

July 26, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. Ricky

Obama isn’t tough. He is kind of puny and weak looking and the fact that he failed at getting anyone onboard during the G-8 or any of his overseas adventures that the tax payers footed. I like how after a failed stimulus, tanking poll numbers and race baiting Clinton says he is doing an incredible job. LOL…

July 26, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. Neutralizer

Hillary, for a brilliant woman you're talking STUPID. If Obambi is international savvy, Putin won't be scolding him for two hours at the breakfast table like a boy caught playing with his self.

July 26, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  8. mattie

Yeah he's savvy alright, anyone who answers a question with "I don't know all the facts" but of course I side with the black man. Wow, that was a smart answer, he just told a lot of Americans I don't represent you.

July 26, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  9. David

Clinton says "Obamas performance has been incredible"

Obama's Performance:...........I mis-spoke............It's racial.............That's bad information................it's George Bush's fault............staged press conferences.

This, unfortunately, will also be Obama's legacy!

July 26, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. chris

Who knew Hillary had a sense of humor???

July 26, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  11. Can you stand the TRUTH?

AW HILLARY!!! How in the world can you stand there and even manage to look upon the ANTI CHRIST.

July 26, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  12. mike

MR. president is tough,but he is also smart, he knows when to use is words at the right time. by the way the president said he didn't have all the facts,and he may bias, because he was his friend ,it has nothing to do with color .

July 26, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  13. OBSERVER

In the interview she pointed out how GREAT a LEADTER Obama is she looked like she knows what she is saying. She tried to get Health care reform so she knows how hard it is,k as she did not accomplish the task. Now she knows how much effort Obama has to put into the effort to help the people of the USA. HEALTH CARE reform is not a joke it is abut savbing EVERYONE each dahy that goes past the costs get higher. More people fall off the insurancde support and moare people go bankrupt because they can't pay their medical bills.

That is not the America I grew up in! I have live in Germany and learned first hand how government medical care works. IO had several times when I had to use the system and it WORKED FAST and the CARE was GREAT. The German people laugh at the USA and how we do not care for our own.

July 26, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. rachel

Hillary was beign very gracious to the president, she couldnt very well say well he race baited my husband in the primaries and you guys feel for it what do you want me to say? I am glad she only commented on his friday response saying he may have been wrong no way could she say the way he acted when he first opened his mouth on the situaton was correct. CNN POST

July 26, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. catmom

Yes he has toughness if he didn't he would have quit by now. I mean the way the media has attacked him and his family unmercifully for the past six months. How people have criticized everything he says or does. The hate speech about him and his family. Listening to right wing radio and all. Heaven forbid he is trying to do something for the American people while Republicans vilify him , determined to see him fail. And they have no answers just whining and griping. Poor thing I mean him being the best the Democrats have to offer and all. He could just quit and decide to go on the trail helping those who want to do the right thing while making money for his family. Perhaps he can team up with Sarah Palin, I'm sure she has all the answers.

July 26, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  16. Larry

I agree with Hillary. No president in the history of this country has had to face what President Obama did on the day he took the oath.

I think he's done an incredible job.

July 26, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. NC

I have lost all respect for Hillary Clinton. I supported her in the elections, but couldn't even think of supporting obama. I voted for John McCain and Sarah Palin, and will vote for a Republican or Independent in 2010 and 2012.

July 26, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  18. Ava from Tampa

Secretary Clinton is correct–President Obama is doing a wonderful job...even with all of the obstructionist behaviour around him in the Republican party. As for his international savvy, she is correct. For those of you commenting in a negative way, you obviously are not wordly, do not travel and only read the headlines of Fox News. Check the polls–particularly those who compare President Obama's predecessor–who didn't care about our global presence.

CNN Please print my comments

July 26, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. Tek

You might disagree with Obama and that is fine but you are insane to say he isn't one of the best politicians the world has ever seen. Even Rush and Rove both agreed that he is one of the best politicians that they have ever seen. Being the president isn't easy and Obama definitely has shown flaws with the issues but can you imagine Bush or anyone else dancing around the issues like Obama. So yes, Clinton is right that Obama is an extremely savvy politician.

July 26, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  20. annie s

I agree with the Secretary. President Obama has been incredible in every aspect of his Presidency. On foreign policy, he has restored our standing in the international community by using toughness tempered by dignity and intelligence. I feel great pride and comfort knowing America has leaders like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

July 26, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. Phil

Hillary was right to be right! Obama has proved his international savvy; but his toughness can be improved by holding his grounds on health care reform, rebuke to erring foreign leaders, and divisive arrest of harvard professor.

A president ,if he appoligizes too much will end up not having a presidency but an appology!!

July 26, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  22. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Let's see, he's kissed up to Muslims. Any change in their actions? Nope. He kissed up to Europe and then asked for them to step up in Afghanistan. Did they? Nope. He warned N.Korea not to fire another missile of face the consequences. Since then they've fired a dozen as well as set off a second nuke. Our reaction, a UN resolution. He's too much of a wimp to even speak out when the Iranian theocracy is murdering it's citizens in the street. But all that's OK as long as Ghana likes us. He has zero foreign policy successes.

July 26, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  23. Scott, Tucson

How can she say that with out cracking up and rolling on the floor laughing?? Hmm if you look at the above picture she does seem to be holding in a laugh or two.

Did Obama make N. Korea gave up their nukes? NO. Iran their nuclear program/? NO. Made Russia pull out of Geogia? NO . Made Al Queda and the Taliban lay down their arms? NO. WHy he can't even cntrol his own party let alone fix world problems.

July 26, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. Cecilia Walker Modesto Ca

I'am very proud to say that Pres.Obama is real tough and has a strong back bone,to take all the crap the republican party has offered. And to be the president you have too be real tough and let people know that your in this position for all the right reason's for the american people and across the whole world. And Sect. Clinton said it all this morning on meet the press. Stay strong Mr.President we know that it's some wolves out their that want you to fail but it's not going to happen that's why they're out of office because they have no clue. thank you Pres.Obama!

July 26, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |