July 26th, 2009

Clinton: Obama has proven his toughness, international savvy

I think his performance in office has been incredible, Secretary of State Clinton said of President Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton is convinced.

After questioning Barack Obama's international savvy and toughness while campaigning against him last year, the secretary of state said Sunday she has seen plenty of both from the president so far.

"Those were appropriate issues to raise in the campaign," Clinton said Sunday on the NBC program "Meet the Press." She went on to declare: "I'm here to say that I think his performance in office has been incredible."

Asked specifically about her campaign criticisms, Clinton said, "I don't feel them at all" anymore.

She also said she has "moved on" from her loss to Obama in a hard-fought Democratic primary contest.

Last week in Asia, Clinton responded to a question about her presidential ambitions by saying she wasn't thinking about it now.

"I have absolutely no belief in my mind that is going to happen," she said Sunday of another possible presidential campaign. Clinton also acknowledged that the challenges facing a woman running for president are "daunting."

Updated: 1:16 p.m.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Limbaugh is a liberal

Slow news day?

July 26, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. yuk!

Hillary Clinton is a joke. I hope she does not try to run for president. She had support but no money. When it was apparent that she would lose, she stiil spent money she did not have, and expected President Obama to bail her failed campaign out of disaster. People are soon to forget how she made a complete mess and was a very sore loser, not to mention her whorish husband and his comments. I do not want a president that lives a complete lie in their own marriage. I am sso glad that she is not vice president. Her assessment of my president is of no concern and has no weight with me. YUK!

July 26, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. average joe

What is she crazy, since he has taken office North Korea has been shooting off missiles like crazy, pirate laughed at the USA holding Americans for days, Iran is poised to attack Israel and China is actually able to get people to listen to the concept of an international currency instead of the US Dollar. Hillary is just another spin doctor in the Obama camp. Lets be honest, the man had no experience (never participating in the construction of any bills/policy/laws) and the American people are letting him spend Trillions of dollars, undermine our national security, and point fingers at those that risk their lives for this country. Why is everyone so taken by the window dressing his staff places around him – he is not a leader.

July 26, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  4. Don

People get a life...what did you expect Hillary to say...of course she supports the President...she can disagreee at some point and she may. Also, just because Hillary claims being President is not in her thoughts, or in her future does not mean anything...Hillary is smart and if she wants to be the next President I think she will be. Remember she was saying no until she ran the last time....

July 26, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. nea-nea

WHATEVER! people can say what they want but this president is working hard on my behalf and i appreciate him a lot. And i thank God for him and will continue to pray for him and his family/administration because im not a FAIR WEATHER SUPPORTER. I dont complain that i voted for this president and then when things are not going the way i like them to, then say i wont vote for him again when he havent had a fair chance. To me when people say that they didnt vote for him anyway.So THANKS SECRETARY OF STATE AND PRESIDENT OBAMA FOR YOUR HAR WORK.

July 26, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. joanna

Our awesome presient is a breath of fresh air. I am so stinking hapy we elected this great man. Is he prefect, no, but that is AOK! Now the dems in congress need to grow a backbone and get things done. HEALTH CARE REFORM PASSED NOW!!! Do not let this chance pass. The gop will never pass it, they line there pockets with insurance and oil companies money. STEAM ROLL THEM FOR THE GOOD OF ALL!

July 26, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. Dennis

I agree with Clinton that Obama's presidency has been "incredible". Obama has been incredibly divisive, incompetent, and arrogant. He has exceeded my expectations. I knew he would be a bad president, but I never thought he would be this bad. I never thought I'd say this, but Hillary would be a vast improvement over Obama as President. She wouldn't be a good president, but she would be far superior to Barack.

July 26, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  8. Bill

Clinton is brilliant and definitely a great statesman. She is a pivotal team in the Obama admin kudos!

July 26, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. Paul H

Apologizing abroad seems a little weak to me. I'm all for the dialog he wants to have with the rest of the world, but even though we haven't been perfect we have fought the good fight so Obama needs to stop apologizing to the world for The United States of America. Or to put it another way stop pandering to the audience in front of him, and start the real dialog he want's to have with these governments.

July 26, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  10. Danny J

Based on all the behind-the-scenes drama between Clinton, Biden and Obama, I am amazed she was able to say that with a straight face. She deserves an Oscar.

July 26, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. Carlos

How in the world did she say that with a straight face and not just bust out laughing.

July 26, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. truthsayer

The corporate media is always trying to create friction between the President and Clinton.

July 26, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. jane

Hillary would have made such a good President, and she's a wonderful Secretary of State.

July 26, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. Danny J

Hillary Clinton, when she was his opponent, warned that he would not be tough, but instead be apologetic and act like a complete noob in the foreign turf. Her prediction was spot-on. Yet now, he's tough and savvy?

All Obama has accomplished is kissing up, apologizing, decreasing our international reputation, leaving Iraq in shambles, and allowing for a RECORD number of troops to be dying in Afghanistan. Yeah, tough. Savvy.

July 26, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. Nini

What a joke!

North Korea is laughing at us.
    Iranian government is developing nuke and killing its people.
    Venezuela is more aggressive every day.
    Israel, one of our closest allies is angry with us.

And Obama keep apologizing for our actions.

Yes, he is sooooo good on foreign relations, things are so good.

July 26, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. ng in dc

Hillary will always be my hero! Hope she runs in 2016 - and wins.

July 26, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Just a Mom

Would any one of you tell the world on national TV exactly how you feel about YOUR boss? Honestly?
    Hillary is saying what she has to say to make her boss look good.

July 26, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. Uncle Fester

Nobodys going to vote for her. She's as old news as Palin. See if Hillary would enroll in Obamas health care plans!!!

July 26, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  19. RUForReal

Hillary was awesome. I was very proud, and am proud of what President Obama is doing to raise our image in the world. Those of you who have nothing better to contribute to the discussion than "Obama keeps apologizing for America" should spend more time listening to the president and less time listening to Liz Cheney.

July 26, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  20. Debby

A woman with integrity and grace. Its to bad she didn't have the chance to lead our country.

July 26, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. Barry

Just out of curiosity, do the right wing folk have nothing better to do than use the "cutsie" slurs about the President and the Secretary of State?

We won in a landslide and that ongoing rhetoric is wonderful – from my perspective. It almost guarantees that the Republican Party (white, rich, and redneck) will become a permanent irrelevant minority in the country.

July 26, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. Andy

Wish Obama could have gotten all the facts before accusing our cops of mis-behaviour in Cambridge. Of course it is fine with most of the posters here, to them he is an idol. You worship a man who would ( and will) throw you to the wolves as he did our cops.....enjoy the ride fools.

July 26, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. Hayden

I would never vote for Hillary. Even though I am a Republican I would have voted for her this year. She sold out to Obama and is partly responsible for the path this nation is taking... as is George W. Bush...

July 26, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. obummersux

gotta love an empty suit. especially when it folds....

July 26, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  25. phoenix86

North Korea was right, she's not "very intelligent".

July 26, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |