July 26th, 2009

Clinton: Obama has proven his toughness, international savvy

I think his performance in office has been incredible, Secretary of State Clinton said of President Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton is convinced.

After questioning Barack Obama's international savvy and toughness while campaigning against him last year, the secretary of state said Sunday she has seen plenty of both from the president so far.

"Those were appropriate issues to raise in the campaign," Clinton said Sunday on the NBC program "Meet the Press." She went on to declare: "I'm here to say that I think his performance in office has been incredible."

Asked specifically about her campaign criticisms, Clinton said, "I don't feel them at all" anymore.

She also said she has "moved on" from her loss to Obama in a hard-fought Democratic primary contest.

Last week in Asia, Clinton responded to a question about her presidential ambitions by saying she wasn't thinking about it now.

"I have absolutely no belief in my mind that is going to happen," she said Sunday of another possible presidential campaign. Clinton also acknowledged that the challenges facing a woman running for president are "daunting."

Updated: 1:16 p.m.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Raymond Burgoon-Clark

HELLO! The USA OWED the world an apology for inflicting George DUH-bya Busch's Reich (sic) on them ... invading two sovereign nations, crashing the world's economy, trashing the world's ecological structure, using the Constitution for "bathroom tissue" ... I don't know about YOU, but *I* thing all that deserves a WORLDWIDE apology, and THEN SOME.

July 26, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. Darryl Schmitz

As the authoritarian leftists and rightists continue to rule the Subordinated States of America, the constitutionist, libertarian traditional conservatives continue to watch their country torn apart by partisan powermongers. The rightists, leftists and populist/moderates wrangle over Power and Special Interest Profitability, while our nation's grave keeps being dug deeper and deeper.
    God help us.

July 26, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. kishen c.rao

simply excellent....my vote for you....we love you mrs. clinton....we love you...please see that Health care is passed....god bless...

July 26, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Dale

Obama is turning the United States into the doormat of the world. We need to vote him and his followers out of office.

July 26, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. Independent

Anybody but obummer, who will go down in history as the only man worse than Carter

July 26, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. Richard Rodriguez

She certainly have found her voice, and is using it to strenghen that of the President, in all the relevant issues, i.e. healthcare, foreign policy, and economic policy, which is more than I can say for the RNC,( Rush, Newt, Cheney, party) the party of NO, the oppositioners with no other program to show that they have a mind, they are zombies, that is what they are.

July 26, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. kathy

Tough??? Am I reading this right??? This is the biggest woos in office I have ever seen. The man is a complete idiot.

July 26, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. Blue Dog Dem

Clinton would have been a much better President. With Obama, the dems get control of the White House for only one term. HE WILL NOT WIN REELECTION.

July 26, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So his list of foreign policy successes are? Anyone? Anyone? Please don't answer by saying that the world now likes us. What tangible policy shifts by our opponents has he accomplished anywhere?

July 26, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  10. Then why is he losing on every....

foreign affairs initiative including:

Iran and their nukes

N. Korea and its nukes

Israel on building in Jeruselum

Al Qaeda and the Taliban

China and India on global warming

What is he doing that is working?????

July 26, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. Marc M

He's proven his weakness, time and time again, making the US look like a bunch of apologetic fools.

Telling the world we're sorry for things that weren't our fault or that we shouldn't be sorry for.

It's pathetic, this man isn't a leader.

July 26, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  12. Obama only creates TAXES

Obama, I heard the if I dont buy insurance you will fine me $2500 a year, well i will withdraw all my money from the bank, pay off everything, build an unpentriable compound and then you can fine me and come arrest me for your dictator style laws you are forcing on people

July 26, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. jeff

I am disgusted with the demicratic party for allowing Obama to run against Hillary.
    Bill and Hillary kept the white house for 8 years. They did a great job for America. Left office with a huge surplus
    The party should have shown their gratitude by making sure Obama sat on the side lines and let a woman and especially Hillary be that first woman president.
    Obama would have got more experience waiting and still would be the 1st African American president.
    Now no matter what happens Hillary will never get a chance as she will be pretty old in 8 years.
    She can't run against Obama in 4 years so she would only be able to run in 8 years with or without Obama getting 2nd term.
    DISGUSTING SHAME on the DEMICRATIC PARTY

July 26, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Brad - California

Yeah, right Hillary. Promise #1 – BROKEN. We are still losing lives and pouring billions into wars in Iraq and Afganistan.

July 26, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  15. Zero.

"Soft-Ball says a lot about contact. And also communication..

July 26, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. America Shrugged

NC, who cares who you voted for or who you will vote for in 12. Obama and Hillary are a powerful team and will straighten up the mess the GOP made for the past 8 yrs. It will take time, but good things usually do.

July 26, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. Zero.

America? Save your idiot Obama... Beat up on Iran if you may. But you are both history in another ten years...,. keep it up! Then my part of the worlde will win. No dictators. No sick religious dictators. No Muslims in power anywhere on this planet...

July 26, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |