July 26th, 2009

Palin steps down as Alaska governor

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (CNN) - Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin gave her final speech as Alaska's governor Sunday before stepping down from her post, telling a Fairbanks crowd that she is resigning "to chart a new course to advance the state."

"Now people who know me, they know how much I love this state ... I feel it is my duty to avoid the unproductive, typical, politics-as-usual, lame-duck session in one's last year in office," Palin said, just moments before Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell was sworn in as governor.

"With this decision, now I will be able to fight even harder for you, for what is right and for the truth," Palin continued. "And I have never felt you need a title to do that."

Palin announced in early July that she would step down this month. She has attributed the decision to tremendous pressure, time and the financial burden of a litany of ethics complaints in the past several months.

The complaints were without merit and took away from the job she wanted to do for Alaskans, Palin has said.

Full story

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Norman

How irresponsible. Right in mid term.
    I wonder if she would have abandoned the VP post if McCain would have won too. She 's off to become queen of Alaska when her traitorous husband's group tries to get Alaska to break from the union.

July 26, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  2. Republicans are the American Taliban

Stepping down = quitting. If she has served 1/2 of her first term, why does she imply that she is a " lame duck "? So John McCain has not only done a disservice to America by bringing this pox upon us, he now has done the same to the people of Alaska. People of Alaska face it...you are no longer worth her time....

July 26, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  3. Tony in Oregon

Is that a big L on her forehead. Loser!

July 26, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  4. Tommy

My prediction is Sarah will re-join and re-ignite the Alaska secession movement so she can become Queen of Alaska.

July 26, 2009 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  5. Jake

Among other things:

1. She misuses the word "apologetics" (2:07)
    2. Her proof that America is so great: "We produce the great, proud volunteers who sacrifice everything for county." How does she feel about Palestinian suicide bombers?
    3. What, exactly, does she claim that the press is making up regarding the American soldier?
    4. She speak about ethics reform being a major campaign promise of hers, and yet she has multiple ethics complaints against her.
    5. "Chris is my right hand man!" (11:00) (Chris is female.)
    6. The whole argument for resisting stimulus money (~12:30)

July 26, 2009 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  6. Mike - Chicago

You know, Palin is so quick to interject the sacrafices made by our military, in her obvious effort to claim those sacrifices as 'republican owned' – even though the election clearly showed that the Amercian people didn't buy it. But what's amazing is what a hypocrite she really is. She can even make the sacrifice to finish her FIRST term as a governor, yet there are people on the right that acutally feel she is qualified to be Commander in Chief? She should be able to send these brave young men and women off to war – to DIE – but she can stand the paltry heat of being Governor.....of ALASKA?
    Republicans are now known as the party of 'no' – but maybe they should be known as the party of 'no, stop – please, i can't take it.....'

July 26, 2009 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  7. annie for Palin

The more the liberal left loonies and the bo admin. hate her – the more I think she is the best of both parties!! There is no reason for anyone to hate and try to destroy someone as much as the lll's, the demmies and some of the repubbies do unless they were not terrified of her. What's the matter 'ole boys club and liberal left loonies and obama, little woman got you scared!

July 26, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  8. Sherrol in Canada

Thank goodness that's over! I kept feeling apprehension while listening to Palin's speech. You know, I just don't get this woman. It's so freaking hard to follow what she's saying.

"We eat, therefore we hunt"!?

What's up with that?!!! Maybe it's the constant consuming of all that wild life that makes her so scatterbrained.

July 26, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  9. Raoul - Lake City, SC

Ok... Maybe it's been a long day. I've watched this video twice and still can't understand her point. This woman is pathetic and a joke. Anyone who takes her seriously needs psychiatric help.

July 26, 2009 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  10. David S. Robins

Yaay, the wicked witch of the North is gone. The Queen of trailer trash family values is now just an ordinary loser who will soon be lost in the crowd. If we're luck, as we deserve to be, she will soon disappear into the obscurity she so richly deserves. If I was in Alaska tonight, I'd go out and join the street dances with the others celebrating her departure and demise.

July 26, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  11. Joe in Vegas

Has anybody made a bobble-head from this bubble-head?

July 26, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  12. Brian

So,

How long till the she organizes a movement to secede?

Ok, I jest, I jest....

But it wouldn't surprise me!

July 26, 2009 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  13. Joe in Vegas

I heard Rush Limbaugh making fun of President Obama because he's the number #1 celebrity in America.

What do you think Palin is? If Sarah Palin looked like Susan Boyle, do you think the Republican's would have this idiotic crush on her?

One things for sure, if she really wants to be president of the USA, she'd better no more about foreign policy than Katie Couric.

July 26, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  14. Larry

..."I feel it's my duty to avoid the unproductive, typical politics-as usual, lame duck session in one's last year in office".

She didn't even serve one full term.

She's completely out of her mind. And she's the hope for the Republican Party.

July 26, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  15. peg

As a democrat, I was shocked to see her step down. Lets admit it, she's the GOPs best 2012 Presidential Hopeful.

As a mom and human being, I can't blame her for stepping down. I see the media twisting and becoming Paparazzi all the time. I heard the Alaskians respect her, but we didn't hear a lot about it during her run for VP. Really, is it our business to know about her personal life?? Yes, I voted for Obama, but the media didn't get on him, McCain, nor Biden as bad as Palin. Just an observation.

Best of luck to Sarah for sticking up for herself.

July 26, 2009 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  16. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

GOOD RIDDANCE.... My bet is that the people of Alaska have heaved a collective sigh of relief to have this nitwit out of office.

July 26, 2009 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  17. watchdog

She is a great woman, I love her and her family. Good luck!

July 27, 2009 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  18. Michigan mom

From what I've read, any actual reforms she made were with the blessing of Dems in Alaska, so she didn't actually fight for anything. Once it got harder and she actually had to work with people, she quit. She talks a good game; we'll see how she plans to make herself likable to more than just her rabid base.
    And I certainly hope that she plans to spend some quality time with her kids, which doesn't include long flights to the lower 48. They need a mom. not a former beauty queen who still craves the spotlight.

July 27, 2009 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  19. Bill

And the rest of the world laughs...

July 27, 2009 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  20. Eugene

The American people deserve better than ex-Gov. Palin running in 2012. Voters deserve real substance from the Republicans, or the Democrats will get as flabby as the Republicans have become.

July 27, 2009 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  21. Karrie

I think I figured out why she has such a negative rating. She's always patting herself on the back, she thinks she has an answer for everything, and it's never, ever her fault. People like that are just plain annoying.

July 27, 2009 12:15 am at 12:15 am |